www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:18 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Hello all! Recently joined but been a lurker for a couple of months. I bought my first DR650, although not my first bike nor my first DS bike. My very first bike was a Yamaha XT550 (kickstart and all). However, it has been a LONG while since I've done any off road riding, and I've spent the past 17 years riding sport bikes. So I'm kind of a newbie to the DS culture.

After owning several different sport bikes and living in that sport going on 2 decades, I've reached the saturation point. So the passed few years I've been wanting a different experience and a different ride. A ride that can take me places I haven't been to before. I've been dreaming of exploring the California Desert on bikes for many years now. I tried that on my Honda VFR800 and that bike really doesn't like dirt roads! It will only handle so much gravel, albeit VERY carefully, before getting angry and threatening to throw me off the seat. So after doing some research, watching every DS review on YouTube, I came to the conclusion the DR650 was the right bike for me. My friends strongly suggested I get the big Adventure Tourers, but as much as I know they're great bikes, I'm into light bikes. I'm honestly tired of riding around in a 500+ lbs. motorcycle! Adventure Tourers are great for interstate travel. But at some point, their immense size and girth begs the question: Maybe I would be better off driving a Jeep Wrangler? And I secretly just don't want to become another poser at the next sport bike watering hole here in Southern California riding my "Adventure" bike around Malibu! :s_biggrin In any case, the simplicity of the traditional DS bikes from Japan really appeals to me. I'm tired of complicated machines!

So here she is parked in...well, a paved parking lot! LOL! Forgive me for not taking her on dirt yet! Soon. Anyway, she is a lot of fun just bombing around the urban jungles of Southern California.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Welcome to DRRiders.com DesertRogue! :howdy:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:21 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Welcome to the DR forum DesertRogue
Your DR will be great bike to get out and adventuring on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum DesertRogue! If you'd like the owners or service manual in PDF format PM me for the links. :s_yes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

:2_thumbsup: This is a real nice site-http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/california_list.htm

It's going to rain Saturday (so the forecast says) , but I try to go every weekend to Rowher flats.
Let me know if interested. Rowher has all levels of riding fire roads, single track and hill climbs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:53 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Welcome! If you ever get down to San Diego area, I'd be glad to show you the local stuff or wander around the desert with ya. It's starting to warm up, but staging at Butterfield Ranch is a good jump off point.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:52 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks guys!

I've been reading up on a lot of technical posts here in DRRiders and a bit on Thumpertalk. I get the impression this website has a whole lot more helpful, less impatient people. LOL! Indeed this site has a lot of really good DR information with a strong sense of community.

I frequently ride in the San Diego county area, around Palomar, Julian, Borrego Springs, etc. A couple of years ago I went to the Salton Sea and really wanted to explore more but I was on a sportbike and didn't really want to ride that on the dirt. I would love to explore there more on my DR. In fact I was planning on doing just that so it would be great if I had someone go with! When I finish the break in I'll call you guys out on your offers to ride. I'm currently at 321 miles. Pesky desk job is preventing me from speeding up this break in process.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

WoodRat wrote:
Welcome to the forum DesertRogue! If you'd like the owners or service manual in PDF format PM me for the links. :s_yes

Thanks Woodrat! The first thing I did was order the Service Manual from the dealership. LOL! I should have known its available online for "free". I plan to service my bike (no dealership will touch her). Hard to trust the mechanics around here. Hell when they delivered my DR to me, they didn't tighten the front axle pinch bolts and one of them vibrated off on my way home from the dealership! And I'm supposed to trust them to do my first valve adjustment! NOT! LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

mcm63 wrote:
:2_thumbsup: This is a real nice site-http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/california_list.htm

It's going to rain Saturday (so the forecast says) , but I try to go every weekend to Rowher flats.
Let me know if interested. Rowher has all levels of riding fire roads, single track and hill climbs.

I'll take you up on your offer for sure. Although I have to work tomorrow (SUCKS!). So my only DR ride will be to and from work. :bang:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

The DR makes a great motard too. It's fun going to Palomar or Mulholland and seeing sport bike riders get frustrated because they can't shake a stupid dirt bike that has 20 year old technology. Do some suspension upgrades and pass them on the outside. Unfortunately, my DR spends more time than I would like setup as a commuter but I'll get the knobbies back on her soon and tear up some fire roads