www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:43 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Post your Dyno Charts!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Have you put your DR on a dyno? :?:

Here is the place to post the results for all of us to see :2_thumbsup:

I can't post one because there is only one motorcycle dyno here and it is much too expensive to try. :OMG:
And my engine is internally stock... :s_dunno

I have seen several charts in various threads and it is very interesting to see them. :woohoo:
Remember, without pictures it didn't happen! "Really dude! No lie, it has 84 hp at the rear wheel" :rofl:

List what engine mods are done, if any, and what type of dyno. :Roost:

:howdy:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

There might be a dyno at the Harley shop down the road,I'll have to look in to it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Probably not interested in my "Butt Dyno" runs... Interesting pictures though...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

sandwash wrote:
There might be a dyno at the Harley shop down the road,I'll have to look in to it.

Yep, that's the only one I have found too.

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:42 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

You asked for it..... :spiteful:

I've literally spent hours on a dyno (SuperFlow Cycledyn) with DR650's. My 99 multiple times and a machine with a Procycle 725 big bore kit.

So let's get into it!

A little base info.... I love my DR650 because of it's wide torquey power spread. This is no high revving peaky power machine so I'm not impressed with top HP numbers as much as the overall power and enhancement of torque. My goal in every modification I've done is to not give up anything in the areas where the DR650 really shines for me. If your value of HP is more important then by all means... :notworthy:

First test shown here is a pipe comparison between the stock, FMF Q-2 and the 40F0 GSXR muffler. All tests with stock header.

Next is just the dyno run for the 39mm FCR-MX. I have lots of tests with different FCR-MX configurations, this is the one I run on my machine.

Speaking of different configurations. I also built a 42mm FCR-MX for testing. The HP freaks will love this,.... however referring to my statement above about not giving up any of the great useable power spread on the DR650, I was less impressed.

Next is the test after doing my engine mods. They consisted of a J&E HC piston, Web 223 cam and mild head work including a multi-angle valve grind and port cleanup/matching. My particular machine had terrible port to valve seat matching from the factory. This also included decking the cylinder to get my squish set to .035" where I wanted it. This required removal of .011" of material.

After posting all these tests another member who already had one on my 39mm FCR's and a 40F0 GSXR pipe contacted me about driving out to have my dyno shop test his machine that he'd just added a Procycle 725cc big bore kit and Web 245 cam to. He also purchased a FMF PowerBomb header. He made the normal "I must need bigger jets after all these mods" assumption and brought the machine to me with it ready to go on the dyno. It didn't take long for us to be right back at my original jetting specs because of EGA readings. This is a comparison to my modded engine machine.

What a tractor:

I then asked if he'd mind I yanked the stock header off of my machine and test his setup with it instead of the FMF PB. I also asked if we could test his big bore machine with my built 42mm FCR-MX. The following tests further fueled my belief that bigger is not always better. At least not in this particular case anyway. :s_wink

This is a chart with every combination.

And finally my FI project dyno run. This is my modded engine and 40F0 GSXR muffler with a stock header. Here the 43mm TB certainly increased top end while not losing as much down low as it could have due to superior atomization. TMI?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Torque curve. Stock head pipe (blue) vs. PowerBomb (orange).
As I recall this bike had TM40, FMF Q4, open airbox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
*then asked if he'd mind I yanked the stock header off of my machine and test his setup with it instead of the FMF PB. I also asked if we could test his big bore machine with my built 42mm FCR-MX. The following tests further fueled my belief that bigger is not always better. At least not in this particular case anyway. :s_wink *

------

*This is a chart with every combination*

---

Hey Rob, is there any way you can label the different curves on the dyno sheets easily without losing quality? Expecially for the 2 examples above? :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:18 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

oasiscraze wrote:
mxrob wrote:
*then asked if he'd mind I yanked the stock header off of my machine and test his setup with it instead of the FMF PB. I also asked if we could test his big bore machine with my built 42mm FCR-MX. The following tests further fueled my belief that bigger is not always better. At least not in this particular case anyway. :s_wink *

------

*This is a chart with every combination*

---

Hey Rob, is there any way you can label the different curves on the dyno sheets easily without losing quality? Expecially for the 2 examples above? :drinks:

It is labeled by color and the color has a number that has the configuration info at the top. How else should it be labeled? Something less cryptic than what the dyno software provides? :s_laughat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

yep,...I totally missed that description line, right there in plain text. I should have asked for glasses instead :sarcastic: :wacko:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rob, isn't there any "smoothing"/averaging parameter to make the graphs less curly?

Now, does this count?

Practically stock and well used, with 43 teeth rear gear, newtons of pushing force in 3rd-4th-5th on the left axis (upper set of curves), hp uncorrected on the dyno drum (no, not DJ "wheel" hp units) on the right axis (lower set of curves).
From here: topic9670.html :biggrin: ("blessing my beards" as we say over here).
By the way I'd be happy to elaborate any dyno related questions from whatever I know from my dyno support tech past as it seems I never got off this nerdy subject :s_crazy