www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:18 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

+1 The dyno is most certainly a tool. The charts are used for bling in sales but the comparison info that they provide in tuning is extremely valuable. You see a lot of posts about "the chart" not being representative of "real world" riding but I can tell you that the dyno runs I made with the DR650's that I've had on the dyno accurately portrayed the seat O the pants dyno impressions. Combining the oxygen sensor info with the EGA info also was very helpful especially during the fuel injection project. Maybe it's just the type of power the DR650 creates but the data matched the feel on every run.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Excellent info Rob and Jeff, as always.

Since I have never dyno'd anything I always wondered how close to the real world dyno charts are.

And what the dyno records at WOT is interesting, but throttle response is more important to most of us.
(maybe not drag racers?)

All I have as a testing tool is my poorly calibrated BHP gauge. (Butt Horse Power that is) :pardon:
I doubt I could tell a difference in hp of maybe 3-5 hp at any rpm but I can tell a difference in throttle response just by the jetting changes.

I do like to see dyno charts and see how they compare with the same engine with a different build. :2_thumbsup:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
+1 The dyno is most certainly a tool. The charts are used for bling in sales but the comparison info that they provide in tuning is extremely valuable. You see a lot of posts about "the chart" not being representative of "real world" riding but I can tell you that the dyno runs I made with the DR650's that I've had on the dyno accurately portrayed the seat O the pants dyno impressions. Combining the oxygen sensor info with the EGA info also was very helpful especially during the fuel injection project. Maybe it's just the type of power the DR650 creates but the data matched the feel on every run.

:good: + ++1

This is the point I was trying to make, but with even more finer a scrutiny. Example: Take SEVERAL iterations of the dyno runs and it's NOT always the best HP peaking looking set-ups that real-world the best. Sometimes it is. Dyno runs are king, absolutely, but we better check out the queen runs too, because something may come into the picture. . .LIKE: Yikes, in a 100 degree day (F) in the field the BEST looking dyno runs were detonating so bad only 90% throttle could be used. Oooops. Using the dyno again to accurately select areas to re-tune is priceless. "You don't know where you're going until you know where you are" is also why a dyno is so nice, IMHO. (Been here before.) Density altitude can make or break your day in throttle response and power production, is my point. Here's where we have to go off the charts for a bit and actually twist the grip.

Make the engine non-FI and the finer fine fine tuning is sometimes hard to do. No lap top instant tuning here, obviously, and I suppose we can call most carbs one step above a lawn mower. The FCR is THE most impressive for tuning and wear, but even still, my TM being a non-vac is already ten levels above that darned bouncy slide BST.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

if only there were any other "standardized" dyno pulls besides the "standard" 100% WOT pull - despite the dyno benches diffrences (that report different numbers for the same bike) then we could similarly to the WOT pulls eventually figure out how to compare different bike setups despite the dynos reporting differently on the "throttle response" testing :wacko:

Locknut wrote:
Density altitude can make or break your day in throttle response and power production, is my point. Here's where we have to go off the charts for a bit and actually twist the grip.

How do you tune an aero engine? "By the book" charts? And always flying accordingly to EGT temperatures?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:50 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Generically speaking, "By the charts", since the assumption is made all conditions can be encountered.
EGT ? . . Well, the level of sensing instrumentation varies tremendously, with EGT being of a lesser critical value than CHT, imo. Temperatures of exhaust gases in a recip' engine are nice to know for the sake of knowing, but CHT is the more 'make or break' bit of info you want to know. It's as basic a bit of data can be. "How hot is each head" vs "How hot is the cylinder's exhaust gas" . That's a debate in some circles of big recip' FI users. I'm the CHT choser, if given a choice of one or the other operating. It's nice to know we have the means to make FI bow to our fuel ratio whims via the numbers, but if the textbook fuel ratio numbers look great but our cylinders #5, #6 are about to melt according to the CHT numbers, yikes. :sarcastic:

Small, civil aircraft in the US, EGT rarely used compared to CHT.