www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:03 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

adam728 wrote:
With jetting the stock carb isn't terrible. With stock gearing (15/42) I lug thru the neighborhood around 35 mph in 5th. It has no problem taking a stab to WOT before 40 mph.

Did a bit of testing on the way to work today. Jetted BST, I can run 25 mph in 5th with 14/43 gearing right on the verge of "chugging" (about 1800 rpm). Will take a quick WOT stab and is pulling smoothly by about 28-30 mph (around 2000-2200 rpm). I am actually a bit surprised, it's lower than I thought the CV carb would handle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:51 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Does anyone ever run there DR's at or above 6,000 rpm, for an extended period of time????

With my stock setup on a set of Heidenau K60 Scout tires, (130/80-17 rear tire). I run at approx. 80 mph (130 kph) at 5300 rpm. Anything about that for any length of time, just doesn't feel right. I know it can do it, but why would you want to? lol.

I find my DR runs great in the 3500 to 5000 rpm range, and feels like it could run in that rpm zone for weeks on end, no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rocky_Mtn_DR wrote:
Does anyone ever run there DR's at or above 6,000 rpm, for an extended period of time.

Me :s_biggrin

not every day just a handful of time a year

Sorry I couldn't resist

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

crash wrote:
Rocky_Mtn_DR wrote:
Does anyone ever run there DR's at or above 6,000 rpm, for an extended period of time.

Sorry I couldn't resist

Dang it, where's the like button?
:2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

adam728 wrote:
crash wrote:
Rocky_Mtn_DR wrote:

Sorry I couldn't resist

Dang it, where's the like button?
:2_thumbsup:

Yeah! :2_thumbsup:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm 

Really helpful to see the real world results of all the various combinations on an actual dyno chart..thanks mxrob. The powerbomb header looks sexy, but its' gains would seem negligible, especially when I'm only running a stock carb with an FMF Powercore & a 6F19 jet needle(3rd position).

Deleted: top chain roller, chain guard/tabs, horn, blinkers, mirrors, grab handles, clutch/kickstand switches, rear mud-gaurd, passenger pegs, stock muffler, Tusk KTM Fatbars. To do: lower roller-bearing, lower/rear-set pegs, 2" wider seat, S/S brake lines, FCR39, Cree LED headlight

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

They are not negligible. Did you miss this chart from the first page of this thread?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 pm 

Negligible wasn't the best word...was just hoping for more hp/tq...it's a nice looking header regardless & on my next round of mods.

Deleted: top chain roller, chain guard/tabs, horn, blinkers, mirrors, grab handles, clutch/kickstand switches, rear mud-gaurd, passenger pegs, stock muffler, Tusk KTM Fatbars. To do: lower roller-bearing, lower/rear-set pegs, 2" wider seat, S/S brake lines, FCR39, Cree LED headlight

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

advbedouin wrote:
Negligible wasn't the best word...was just hoping for more hp/tq...it's a nice looking header regardless & on my next round of mods.

IMHO, we should not discount the unseen dyno charts in our puny brains. It's all too tempting to have several cups of coffee reading charts to make my sometimes dubious decisions. In my club racing days it was obvious that darn if sometimes "Numbers can mislead".

Many many times I was set lose to go test our latest HP chart engine creations and do some hot single track 15 mile trail laps. Ten to one, set-ups that gave HP & Ft Lbs increases but had fantastic throttle response gave us much better lap times than the simply much more impressive dyno charted. Throttle response not even a side note on a chart. Time is yards, and over many miles of gear shifts, nothing compares to instant revving & crisp throttle.

That's why I've mentioned before how much I like my HiFlo compared to the stocker. (Gixxer also). The dyno chart will never show how much quicker my DR gets to it's max peaks in the gears. That's not a charted quality, but a darned sweet thing to have with a tuned carb. :s_smile

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Locknut wrote:
That's not a charted quality, but a darned sweet thing to have with a tuned carb. :s_smile
well, actually you can orchestrate a dyno test to graph before-after results like I say in my aforementioned mind burble

say, this could be a before test to use as reference to throttle response:

WOT, 0% opening, WOT again, 0% opening and WOT again (on not Fuchs-Marolo dynos you should have time on X axis instead of RPM or so)

and then you display torque vs AFR over time

and by zooming in the graphs you can assess how much more/less time it takes for AFR to go into the target area or any oscillations on throttle re-opening and of course you can do the same for different rpm areas and throttle openings

you can spend myriad hours on a dyno tweaking such details and whether it worths the effort/cost it depends on whatever one needs/wants to do

as usual, the dyno is a tool and the user makes useful or not use of it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next