www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Excellent! :good:

Very interesting to read the charts and compare what mods did what on each bike.

The smoothing certainly makes charts easier to read but it also loses precision for tuning I am guessing?
I think that is a variable each operator sets isn't it?

How interesting that the powerbomb header doesn't add any torque below about 4,800 rpm, but above that it shows a clear boost.
I can save my money on that upgrade then. :s_no

The 725 shows a really nice curve and I am looking forward to the 780/790 charts.

:Roost:

Thanks for posting those so far, and lets see more! :howdy:

Rob, never TMI :2_thumbsup:
The difference after your head cleanup is really dramatic.
I hope Crash can dyno his ported engine so we can see how different a blue printed/ported engine performs compared to a stock engine.

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I had the option of smoothing on the charts but declined. I wanted to see the raw data as it came off the dyno. The operator also didn't like smoothing. He called it bling masking of the sparkly parts of the chart. :rofl:

I don't know that the FMF PB really doesn't enhance more low end than on the machine I've tested one with. Based on all of the posts I think I've only seen one rider say the stock header was better... probably a guy like me that loves the very bottom of his THUMPER. And I don't know that a FMF PB wouldn't make my machine run even better than it does now. I'm certainly willing to try one with my configuration. In fact I made an offer on one that was posted in our buy sell forum but the seller wanted to sell it with the FMF Q4 that he had to go with it. But I'll be sticking with my 40F0 thanks. :s_wink I may just break down and order one from Jeff this summer. Since my wife can't ride anymore my dream project is making her machine a 790SM style machine with a 19" front wheel. Based on the butt dyno and actual dyno of the 725 I'm pretty sure the 790 will exceed my torque dreams tenfold. This darn Stonehouse is taking up all of my DR650 tinkering time however..... :pardon:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 pm 

MxRob, I'm very happy that I found your info concerning the engines mods for the DR650. I now have basically the same mods as you have, the only difference being that I have the TM40 carb, and I did zero port cleanup. I left the header weld alone, too. No matter what the dyno charts show, the feel of the bike's power is greatly improved! It was a project that was definitely worth the effort! I was very pleasantly surprised by just how much power there actually is, all across the power curve, but especially in the midrange, wow! Very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

lledbetter2266 wrote:
MxRob, I'm very happy that I found your info concerning the engines mods for the DR650. I now have basically the same mods as you have, the only difference being that I have the TM40 carb, and I did zero port cleanup. I left the header weld alone, too. No matter what the dyno charts show, the feel of the bike's power is greatly improved! It was a project that was definitely worth the effort! I was very pleasantly surprised by just how much power there actually is, all across the power curve, but especially in the midrange, wow! Very nice!

:2_thumbsup: That's another one of the things I love about the DR650. A super wide useable power spread. Doing the HC piston and 223 cam further widens the spread and raises it up across the board. Good stuff. Roll-on power out of a corner is greatly increased and it just keeps pulling. Very handy in tight twisties. Very little shifting required since it will pull down low and up top equally as well. :good:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:51 pm 

MXRob, right on, We have a lot of really great twisty two lanes around here and the bike is a blast on those roads! I remember reading that the pumper carb would allow the engine to pull from much lower rpm, but I found it hard to believe, since the stock carb doesn't want to run below about 50 in top gear. But now that I have a pumper carb, I've discovered it's absolutely true, the engine really does pull smoothly even from 40 mph in high gear! It was quite a transformation! With the piston and cam also added, the power spread is SUPER wide now! I was out riding it today, and I can't get enough lol, it's a real hoot! It's ridiculous just how poor the stock carb really is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

With jetting the stock carb isn't terrible. With stock gearing (15/42) I lug thru the neighborhood around 35 mph in 5th. It has no problem taking a stab to WOT before 40 mph.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

adam728 wrote:
With jetting the stock carb isn't terrible. With stock gearing (15/42) I lug thru the neighborhood around 35 mph in 5th. It has no problem taking a stab to WOT before 40 mph.

As long as it's good enough for you that is all that matters. :good:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
adam728 wrote:

As long as it's good enough for you that is all that matters. :good:

Not saying a FCR isn't better, I'd definitely love one. But I read now and again how the BST is so horrible that you can't ride the bike in 5th below 45, 50, 55, 60 mph. Setup correctly that simply isn't true. 50 mph in 5th on a stock bike is over 3,300 rpm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Never realized the DR made enough power to turn the rollers over on a dyno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

LA Thumper wrote:
Never realized the DR made enough power to turn the rollers over on a dyno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI :biggrin:

Damn it! They forgot to change out 3rd gear before the test. :rofl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next