www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:08 am 

Hello All,

First post here and not even an official DR owner yet. Basically I have given someone I have not met my word I want to buy his DR. It is an 06 with quite a few farkles and only 8K miles. He already has 5 other bikes good friends of people I know and trust and hear great things about how he takes care of all his bikes and for the price I am getting it for have no issues buying sight unseen.

I already own a K1200RS Beemer Sport Touring bike 150 hp to the rear wheel and wicked fast and a Harley Sportster Roadster I use for all the twisty roads around me in Tennessee. I have not had a dual sport in a while and want to ride some of the Eastern TAT around me in NC,TN,AL,MS and do some moto camping as well. before I get to much older and still physically able at a young 63.

I am actually really looking forward to riding a simple smaller back to the the salt of the earth kind of bike again and think the DR is going to be perfect for what I am wanting to do. I can ride off road, trails, fire roads, and maybe some not to difficult single track see how things go and work up to that.

I am about 170-75 lbs on average and wondering now much weight others have put on their DR's for longer distance travel? I see people have ridden them around the world with a lot of stuff on them. From personal experience I have loaded my Beemer or Sporty with a lot of Chit and as long as I do not get the center of gravity to high have never really had to many issues.

With the DR being a lighter bike would like to see pictures of others loaded out for the long haul and any thoughts and opinions or anything anyone has to say about touring and camping with a DR. I also like the idea of being able to ride it places neither of my other 2 bikes can go and use more secondary roads but know it has the ability to keep speed up on and highway if I need to cover some ground fast or get somewhere in a hurry.

I am a research freak and working for two more weeks as a ship captain on my boat so I have been lurking and reading on this forum as well as Adventure Rider getting ideas and much valuable information about Dr's for a many months. Thanks all the more I read about them the more I can not wait to get mine in about 3 weeks and start playing with it.

If memory serves me right the standard front wheel size is 21". The one I am buying also comes with a 19" he used for more street oriented riding. Both sets have 705's on them I believe. I am leaning towards using the 19" on my first excursion since I think will not be much more than paved, gravel roads and maybe some fire trails or mild type of off road stuff getting used to the bike.

Any thoughts, Pictures of loaded out bikes, Etc. would be greatly appreciated. I will not be a stranger and posting pics and info once I get the bike and start using it as well as calling the the collective here and asking for your invaluable advice and experience.

Thanks in advance all

Cap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 pm 

This thread has some pretty good camping pics.

topic17628.html

I'm hoping to get my own loaded down camping pics this summer doing the COBDR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:04 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I toured on my DR for 2 years and the 21" front wheel was never at a disadvantage even on the most twisty roads. I'd post pictures of my camping setup but nothing really exciting about seeing a DR parked at a hotel :s_biggrin .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum Capt911! If you'd like the owners or service manual in PDF format PM me for the links. :s_yes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Welcome to DRRiders.com capt911! :howdy: On average once a rider gets a DR650 in his group of steads the other machines get ignored more often than not. :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:10 am 

PerazziMx14 wrote:
I toured on my DR for 2 years and the 21" front wheel was never at a disadvantage even on the most twisty roads. I'd post pictures of my camping setup but nothing really exciting about seeing a DR parked at a hotel :s_biggrin .

+1 I haven't been able to try a 19 but have pushed it pretty hard on the 21" front even with a 50/50 tire and it can move pretty good through the twisties.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:10 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

capt911 wrote:
Hello All,
I am actually really looking forward to riding a simple smaller back to the the salt of the earth kind of bike again and think the DR is going to be perfect for what I am wanting to do. I can ride off road, trails, fire roads, and maybe some not to difficult single track see how things go and work up to that.

I am about 170-75 lbs on average and wondering now much weight others have put on their DR's for longer distance travel? I see people have ridden them around the world with a lot of stuff on them. From personal experience I have loaded my Beemer or Sporty with a lot of Chit and as long as I do not get the center of gravity to high have never really had to many issues.

Cap

Cap, I chose to get my DR for exactly same reasons as you. You and are even the same exact weight range. I've been strictly a road rider for a decade and a half so I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to dirt riding. My most recent dirt biking experience was with a mountain bike! LOL! I doo plan on riding easy trails and fire roads for now.