www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death Valley run
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:09 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Heading out this morning. One day trip with possible overnight. Pics and report to follow

Ridgecrest, Ca
Stovepipe wells, Death Valley
Ubehebe Crater, Death Valley
Teakettle Junction, Death Valley
Grandstand / Racetrack Playa, Death Valley
Lippincott pass, Death Valley (we will pick up part three and final stage of a Geocache, Difficulty 4/5 Terrain 5/5)
Saline Valley Road, Death Valley
Panamint Springs, Ca
back to Ridgecrest

:Roost: :bumps:

https://www.motogoloco.com/map?route=31865

Post subject: Re: Death Valley run
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:25 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Nice! post up some pics and conditions. The ADV "nOOb" rally is next week and we'll be about 200 ppl strong. Should raise a nice cloud of dust.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Looking forward to your ride report ... :lurk:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Big day, hope you had fun and hope to see the pics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Cache away, Dude! Just take your time down Ol' Rocky and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Having "technical" difficulties with GoPro studio, pics and vids to follow. Camera is fine, software is buggie...

41 Deg in Ridgecrest on our start, 50-75 for most of the trip after we were in DV. 6000 feet elevation changes on our route.
Stove pipe wells has a breakfast buffet, not bad. Good chance to warm up and prepare for next phase. Only gas avail is 87 Octane, period.
Got a diesel or premium required gas car/bike? Too bad...

All went well, slab up to the last ranger station before Ubehebe crater, a Volcanic crater that is very cool and only 2k years old.

Road to Teakettle junction is major washboard action, not a challenge, just sucks.

Teakettle to Racetrack, about the same, bigger rocks. No "moving rocks" on the playa, and I suspect the heavy rains from last month flooded the playa and it settle back to flat and cracked, with no tracks by any of the rocks we found. Really cool though, and really windy compared to the rest of the trip, explains the ice/rock movement creating the tracks.

Racetrack to Lippincott turn off, pretty much the same, washboard with bigger rocks. My buddy lost his iPhone some where in this area and went back and was not able to find it. :(

Lippincott pass was good. I can see how going up would be much more of a challenge while having to be on the power going up over rocks vise riding the rear brake down. A couple of challenging spots going down.

Stopped and got the geocache, only the fourth person in 15 years to complete all three stages. Absolute axx kicker of a hike/climb off Lippincott trail to get to the final geo coordinates.

From there, Saline Valley road was good as it took us up near Hunter mountain on the way out where we ran into three guys from Orange County on BMW 1200GS's. One locked up his rear on a decent in deep sand and dropped it. We helped them out, had to kick his aluminum pannier back into shape so the lid would close. Big bikes wreck more stuff when they fall and harder to pick up. That is why I left the 1190 at home. DR650 on....

Then down to Panamint Valley resort, great twisty road. I was planning on attending the rally next month but will be in Arizona that weekend. My riding buddy said he will likely stop by that weekend and check it out. $5 a gallon for gas.... Stovepipe wells was only $3 a gallon.

300 miles round trip.
12 hours

- Rotopax 2 gallon gas mounted on Scaggs rack
- Cogent shock and DDCs
- Shinko 244, not bad. Felt better when not aired down. The TKC it replaced preferred less air. Squirmy if not up to full pressure, on and off road.
- Acerbis plastic skid plate
- IMS tank
- Forma Adventure boots.
- Tourmaster pants/jacket

Dislikes:
- Wolfman tank bag. Or any tank bag for that matter. Almost impossible to stand when you wanted to. Almost tossed it a couple of times. Forces you to bend in unnatural angle to stand. SUCKS for trail use and standing. I put it on right before the ride, won't make that mistake again. I had it as far forward as I could go, covering the gas cap and still got in the way.

My buddy on his KLR when high center twice and dumped it. Has metal skid plate caught on big rocks that I cleared. Looking at the two side by side, the KLR appears to have less ground clearance. The DR took ZERO naps. Did great. I have an Acerbis plastic skid plate. The KLR does have a center stand that takes up more ground clearance.

Take away from a noob,
Front brakes are useless, I didn't use them unless on slab.
Keep it moving, I used to stop and work my way around things, now I just let the suspension work and use light throttle to keep it moving. Amazed at how much the suspension can absorb.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Lippincott pass, 21 min or so. Enjoy the scenery...

https://youtu.be/uyYRL5TsJ3A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

GT4Point6 wrote:
Stopped and got the geocache, only the fourth person in 15 years to complete all three stages.
:2_thumbsup:

Yeah, only 87 at Stovepipe. Fortunately for high compresion folk and diesel jockeys, 91 and stinky are available not too far away at Furnace Creek and Panamint. Speaking of Panamint, no pie for you? You guys must have been naughty!

No rock tracks !?! They supposedly last for years. We saw several within a five minute stroll from the pull out at the south end of the playa just a few weeks ago.

I can`t lean forward while standing with tank bag mounted either. It sucks, but so convenient! Trying to find a work around to let me keep at least camaera and map reachable without dismounting- maybe a number plate bag? I like my little front screen too, but would rather ditch that than lose camera and map access.

Front brakes are useless? You mean you don`t like to use them or yours specifically do not work? When functioning correctly, they can do a lot more stopping than rear brakes. If yours have problems, you really need to get them going! And if it`s a case of not liking the feel (front wanting to wash out or slide), definitely to your advantage to practice with them and get the feel for just how much pressure they can take in order to modulate and keep them right on the edge. It`s a lot better than sliding out of control like a bobsled when it gets really steep, rocky or loose.

Watched bits of your video, very nice! Looking forward to the pictures :s_smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:58 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

bdesj wrote:

Front brakes are useless? You mean you don`t like to use them or yours specifically do not work? When functioning correctly, they can do a lot more stopping than rear brakes. If yours have problems, you really need to get them going! And if it`s a case of not liking the feel (front wanting to wash out or slide), definitely to your advantage to practice with them and get the feel for just how much pressure they can take in order to modulate and keep them right on the edge. It`s a lot better than sliding out of control like a bobsled when it gets really steep, rocky or loose.

Front end washes out real easy when on the front brakes, almost every time I've dumped it, it was front wheel lock up/wash out.
Modulating is easy when you have time to feel what it's doing but usually when I feel it's too much, it's gone... Much easier to modulate the rear in and out of lockup since it doesn't dump you when it's locked.
Most downhill trails here are sand, real loose, and rocky, making it difficult to practice. You think you are doing ok then a rock slides out from under the front tire and down you go... I know it's not the best technique, but it works for me to stay off the front on down hills.

I do agree with you that I need that skill set, just need to work on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:38 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Guys, Death Valley is DR Mecca. just sayin.......

Great posts, cheers.