www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:36 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Rode the bike to work today and everything was fine until it died at an intersection. I though maybe I'd inadvertently killed the bike and started it up again. I got two more blocks with the bike barely idling and would want to die any time I gave it more gas. Finally had to park it. I have fuel, I can see it flowing into the filter, and I can start it up. It will run roughly at idle, but as soon as I give it a little gas it sputters and dies. I'm thinking I may have a sticky float or an obstruction in the bowl or jet. The good news is I was only a block from the office when it crapped out so I was able to wheel the bike into the lot. I'm hesitant to wrench on it in the parking lot, but if I can get it started up, I won't have to run home for the Van and give the DR the 'ride of shame'.

Does my diagnosis sound correct? Other suggestions? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:52 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Try running it on pri.

For now

Until someone else helps you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:13 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Check fuel filter first, then proceed to carb. joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:02 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I did try to put it on reserve. There's no prime on mine as I have a TM40. Filter looks OK, but I'll pull the fuel line off the carb and see if I really get gas out of it or not. If no gas (or not enough), I'll work my way back to the petcock and the screen on the tubes inside the tank.

If the gas seems to be flowing, I'll move to the carb bowl and floats. If I end up taking the carb off the bike, I'll probably just rebuild the damn thing. I bought the bike used 8K miles ago and have no idea when it was last cleaned. :whistling:

I got my van at lunch, I didn't want to be wrenching in the dark. Better to bring it home and work on it there, I figured.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sounds like a Pilot Jet, or possibly Water in fuel. But Pilots on TM Very sensitive, tiny jet holes. Just replace the Pilot Jet, don't try to clean it out. NEW jet.

Next, remove float bowl, check for debris, check main jet for clogging. Next, drain fuel tank, pull petcock tubes and check for debris in tank on on filter screens of petcock tubes. Flush tank, clean filters, (do this OUTSIDE!!), fresh gas.

All this is easier with Carb off engine. I doubt you need to rebuild if only 8K on Carb. As long as all jets and air jets are clear and all O rings are good (not brittle or cracked) them should be OK with cleaning, blow out with air. Carb parts should last to about 25K miles or so.
Consider an inline fuel filter of some kind.

That should do it.

:2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Kinda sounds like what happened to me recently when my choke cable separated inside the carb, only not so much of a sputter as a bog and die.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks for all the ideas. It looks like I might have some time to work on it this weekend. I'm reluctant to tear into the carb so I hope it's just something blocking the fuel flow from the tank. I'll post up a report on what I find.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm not sure how long the TM40 has been on the bike. I've had it for 8k miles and the previous owner put ~4k miles on the bike, but he didn't do any modifications at all. The bike has ~30K miles total, so depending on when the original owner installed the TM40, the carb could have anywhere between 12-30k miles on it.

BTW, is the HS40 manual the best one? I can't seem to find a manual specifically for the TM40, but the hs40 appears to be a nearly identical unit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

quick check you might also want to do is loosen the drain screw on the bowl of the carb with the fuel valve on reserve. You should see a steady stream of fuel. if it tapers out and quits running you have a fuel delivery issue. like fuel filter, petcock, or a stuck float:2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:35 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

+1 Check fuel flow from the petcock first. If that runs well into a recpticle (to make sure you don't​ have a tank venting issue) hook the line back I up and open the float bowl drain. Fuel should flow out in a steady small steam with the petcock on.