www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

+1 Check fuel flow from the petcock first. If that runs well into a recpticle (to make sure you don't​ have a tank venting issue) hook the line back I up and open the float bowl drain. Fuel should flow out in a steady small steam with the petcock on.

That's my first step. The bike is still in the van..... It's going to be a rainy weekend here so garage time is high on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

St.Mats wrote:
mxrob wrote:
+1 Check fuel flow from the petcock first. If that runs well into a recpticle (to make sure you don't​ have a tank venting issue) hook the line back I up and open the float bowl drain. Fuel should flow out in a steady small steam with the petcock on.

That's my first step. The bike is still in the van..... It's going to be a rainy weekend here so garage time is high on the list.

:good:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:37 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:

Folks where telling I was have a fuel issue and I was telling them this^^^^.This is spot on about getting gas to the carb,with that said just because it's getting gas doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with the carb guts.It just mean your are getting gas to the carb and eliminates a fuel flow issue.For me it was that pesky pick up coil.Start)sometimes) and go 20' and die several times.Also don't forget about the little filter in the gas inlet tube on stock carbs.That will drive you crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:32 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

sandwash wrote:
mxrob wrote:

Folks where telling I was have a fuel issue and I was telling them this^^^^.This is spot on about getting gas to the carb,with that said just because it's getting gas doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with the carb guts.It just mean your are getting gas to the carb and eliminates a fuel flow issue.For me it was that pesky pick up coil.Start)sometimes) and go 20' and die several times.Also don't forget about the little filter in the gas inlet tube on stock carbs.That will drive you crazy.

Yeap, that just eliminates the first things to check if you believe it's a fuel related issue. Next would be plugged jets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Back country rider wrote:
quick check you might also want to do is loosen the drain screw on the bowl of the carb with the fuel valve on reserve. You should see a steady stream of fuel. if it tapers out and quits running you have a fuel delivery issue. like fuel filter, petcock, or a stuck float:2_thumbsup:

I think you meant that the fuel valve should be on PRI and not RES to see a steady flow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I finally cleared the garage so I could work on the DR650 (I had to finish parting out a Multistrada). Briefly, this is what I found, more or less in order of operation. BTW, the Carb is a TM40 and its a 'normal' petcock, not the OEM vacuum job.

1) fuel flowed from the petcock and through the filter in either 'run' or 'reserve'. It flowed faster in 'reserve'.
2) Shining a light into the tank was illuminating. I have never seen so much sh*t in a gas tank before. Miscellaneous debris of various sizes, colors, and textures. Color was murky too. Keep in mind that I put a well cleaned IMS tank on last fall and have only run 5-6 full tanks through it. I must have gotten the filling station's dregs the last time I filled the tank. :hang:
3) The carb looked surprisingly clean since I haven't done a thing to it in the 8,000 miles that I've owned it. I cleaned it anyway.
4) fuel flow was much improved after cleaning the petcock, gas tank, and replacing the filter.

After doing the above work, the bike fired up after a couple cranks. I test rode it to a gas station and back home. All was good so I took one of my sons for a 80 mile ride in the coast range and the bike worked flawlessly. Well, except for the missing side cover, but that's another post. :rofl:

Thanks for the replies, I'm not much of a carb guy so the TM40 with all of it's jets and holes seems intimidating.

BTW, what do you do with 3.5 gallons of bad gas? Weed killer? BBQ starter? Give it to an annoying neighbor? :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:39 pm 

St.Mats wrote:
....BTW, what do you do with 3.5 gallons of bad gas? Weed killer? BBQ starter? Give it to an annoying neighbor? :whistling:

I have a 1952 Ford 8N tractor that runs just fine on anything that even resembles gasoline. I dump all my old fuel in there, even the pre-mix!

I don't know what I'd do with it if I didn't have that option. :s_thinking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Locally, Canada, Canadian Tire will accept used oils, antifreeze, brake fluid etc.! In the good old days just about any "Gas" station would accept these used items!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

St.Mats wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I'm not much of a carb guy so the TM40 with all of it's jets and holes seems intimidating.

BTW, what do you do with 3.5 gallons of bad gas? Weed killer? BBQ starter? Give it to an annoying neighbor? :whistling:

:biggrin: BBQ!
Recycle the bad fuel. Clean with a really good cleaner. Let it soak a while, slosh around every few hours. recycle waste product.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
St.Mats wrote:

:biggrin: BBQ!
Recycle the bad fuel. Clean with a really good cleaner. Let it soak a while, slosh around every few hours. recycle waste product.

Mine all goes into my 1990 Mitsubishi Triton ute. Stale outboard motor pre-mix and all.
That'd be a Dodge Ram 50/Mistubishi Mighty Max pickup to the US brothers.
Pour it through a bit of cloth to take the nasty debris out first.