www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:42 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1993
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:48 pm 

Hey all,
I don't currently own a DR, and have been looking for as new a model as I can find, but one just popped up locally, a 93 650 with about 6k miles on it. Seller wants $2000, looks like it's bone stock in good condition.
Should I wait for a newer model or is this a good one? I want electric start and a bike that will be reasonably hiway friendly. Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: 1993
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I bought my 2005 for $2000 with 6000 miles and bone stock, you can find a better deal on a newer model which has more potential for modifications.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

hold out for a newer model. Big changes in 96 but from there on.. very little. A really nice 93 should be ~ $1200

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm 

Kind of my sentiments too guys, just wanted my intuitions confirmed by more knowledgeable sources. I might go look at it and see if he is flexible on price. $1200 is the number I had in my head too. Are there any specific issues with the pre-96 bikes to keep an eye out for?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Those 90-95 models have a problem with the balanced drive chain. The manual suggests adjusting the chain tension every 7500 miles. Adjustment requires removing the right side engine case cover (and scraping the dam# Suzuki gasket!). Most owners never bothered with this maintenance so most 90-95 bikes have balancer drive problems. Many of the parts required to fix them are no longer available. Good used balancer parts are pretty much non-existent.

The whole system was problematic and Suzuki redesigned it at least once in the model's short lifespan. IMO, if you did find a good one you should plan on adjusting the balancer chain more often than the manual recommends - maybe at every oil change.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm 

ProCycle wrote:
Those 90-95 models have a problem with the balanced drive chain. The manual suggests adjusting the chain tension every 7500 miles. Adjustment requires removing the right side engine case cover (and scraping the dam# Suzuki gasket!). Most owners never bothered with this maintenance so most 90-95 bikes have balancer drive problems. Many of the parts required to fix them are no longer available. Good used balancer parts are pretty much non-existent.

The whole system was problematic and Suzuki redesigned it at least once in the model's short lifespan. IMO, if you did find a good one you should plan on adjusting the balancer chain more often than the manual recommends - maybe at every oil change.

Thanks ProCycle. I have pretty much ruled it out...I don't want to make a hasty purchase out of desperation. I am kinda dead-set on an electric start bike, and 24 years old is getting pretty long in the tooth, even if it has been cared for and rarely ridden.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:57 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

With only 6000 miles on it , the first balancer adjustment is not even due yet , so a new owner could buy this , make sure they do the adjustments and have a cool older bike. Also the '93 should be electric start anyway should it not ? Nothing to be scared of , in buying a bike like this except for finding aftermarket stuff , and it will be classed as vintage soon in a lot of markets. But I agree it would have to be cheaper than this one is priced at.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

My 93' doesn't have electric start. Offer the seller a $1000. What do you have to lose? That bike isn't even broken in yet. I grew up in Montana so I know the riding season there is really short. Something that old is going to need a few things. Make sure the fork seals and rear shock seals are not blown out. Look in the fuel tank and make sure it is not rusted out. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

ProCycle wrote:

He meant left side engine case cover.... :good:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:blush: Obviously, you have to remove the right (correct) side to access the adjuster.
So, yeah the left case is the 'right' one :s_cool