www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:37 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

WoodRat wrote:
What a difference 6 weeks makes! Still nothing like the beautiful weather and ocean-side location of Dinsdale, but the sudden arrival of temps in the 60s F here is nice. I imagine it's getting better for Bdesj in NV by now.

Thanks for the thoughts, Cody. In fact, it is getting warmer round these parts, but I was`t here! While you were supervision the undamming project I was making dust down at an undisclosed southern CA location, and it was downright hot.

The first day was just hanging around base camp, putting on enough miles to get up to the first oil change on my partner`s bike after a new cylinder installation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The next day we loaded up our bike camping bivouac gear and headed out for a two-day loop. First with about 40 miles of west bound slab, then "hung a south" and rolled a bit more in search of a ghost towns and little gnar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:13 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

A little different light for the same scenery following our bivouac, then head back north.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

After the southern loop, we showered and had some real food, then moved base camp. What ended up being our last "day" (technically two days since it did not end until almost 4AM on what would have been yet another day) was a northern loop. Supposed to be a two day route anyway, so I guess that sort of works out, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

About the time I took those last few shots, the little Honda had had enough, started overheating. Water pump is our best guess, but I`m still waiting to hear the details. In the mean time, we were a good ways off in the boondocks and my buddy was not very hip on the idea of camping that night and two-upping the next day to get the truck and fetch the bike and gear, so we ended up on a marathon day. We used a combination of short powered runs (shutting off before it got hot), coasting on the downhills (me tailgating with my headlight shining ahead after the sun went down), and towing with a bit of rope, to get the naughty little bike almost back to the truck by a little after midnight. But there was a big grade between us and our home base, with a 5000 ft climb followed by a 4000 ft descent. The DR had done a pretty good job of towing, even through sand and over washboard, but I declined to ask her to do that last leg, so it was nap time for me while the Honda pilot rode my bike solo back to get the truck. Would have been nice to spend the rest of the week just doing non-bike stuff, but he was anxious to get home and start diagnosis and repair, so the week ended Thursday morning for us.

Last edited by bdesj on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nice pictures and exellent weather.To bad about the overheating issue.It is snowing here again,you are making me jelous.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:04 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Heading that way this weekend myself with a buddy. Ubehebe crater, teakettle junction, racetrack, then down Lippincott.

How as Lippincott and did you go up or down it?

Thanks,
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:47 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hang in there Xlcc- you`ll thaw out eventually!

4.6, we rode up Lippincott and didn`t find it too awful nasty (easier than Mengle). But according to another rider who recently rode down it after having just ridden up a route I have doubts that I could have managed (Echo Canyon), it was butt-puckery, so... :s_dunno
If you are asking about the current condition versus previous years, I couldn`t begin to say. Have you been watching the DV Conditions thread on ADV? Those guys never seem to tire of answering this type of questions. In fact, they have answered quite a few for me in the past month!
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/d ... 6/page-112

Supposedly Hunter Mtn is now passable, so if you have enough range, you could conceivably check out Lippincott and then go back around to Hunter if you felt over your head. If you will be riding your DR, I kid of doubt it`ll give you any trouble. Anyway you fly, have a blast!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:17 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Great looking country for riding Brian! :bumps: in the vicinity of Death Valley NP I gather. Late winter/early spring must be one of the best times to ride down there, before the triple digit temps of summer, and your photos convey the wide open wild west flavor so well.
:2_thumbsup:
Which dry lake bed were you in where your photo shows a rock and the path it has traveled? There was a television program where they concluded that these rocks were moved by the wind when the surface was just wet enough to be slippery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

They call that dry lake the racetrack- you`ll get lots of hits on Google or YouTube if you search for it. And yeah, it was prominent on the news a few years ago because a mixed team of scientists left a bunch of equipment set up over the winter and finally caught the rocks moving, confirming most of what had been previouosly theorized about the phenomenom.

Early spring/late winter is a good time to go, especially for the southern parts (passes not as high). For northen parts like the ractrack and Saline Valley, probably better in November so no residual snowpack to worry about.