www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 am 

I'm ready for winter to be over. Don't get me wrong, I like snow as much as the next guy, and without it my snowmobile would be pretty much pointless. But I made the mistake of watching "The Long Way Round" again and it really made me want to go riding. But I've still probably got at least a month to go before enough snow melts. Even then people will still stare at me and give me that look that silently says 'your crazy'. And I'm not saying I am, I'm just getting antsy to go riding.

So with that said, I had planned to take a whole week this year to go riding and exploring around Alaska, but due to the company I work for and the weird way they schedule vacation time, it pretty much all fell through and the best I can do is 4 days in the middle of May.
Which on the upside there will be almost no bugs or tourist yet, (nothing person against them, they just crowd the place up) on the downside the bears will have just woke up and will be hungry, almost none of the parks will be open yet, and it will still be pretty cold at night. But regardless of all that I'm really excited about getting out and travelling on the DR.

So, this is more or less what I have put together for a route. (here is a link to google maps for reference.) https://www.google.com/maps/@62.8193151,-146.8021071,7z
I will start in Soldotna on Wednesday morning and ride up thru Anchorage, to Wasilla and most likely spend the night in Talkeetna, Thursday morning head out and go to Cantwell, (aka a wide spot in the road) thru Fairbanks and North Pole, ending my day at Delta Junction. This is pretty much the halfway point so if I do need to head back for some reason I will have to flip a coin. but providing everything goes well Friday will have me riding to Tok, and down to Glennallen for my last night on the road. I hope to get back to Soldotna Saterday night, but if I need to take an extra day I have left Sunday available just in case. That is pretty much my plan for this years 'big ride'.

So I know some riders consider going to Alaska the "ultimate" adventure, And don't get me wrong it is absolutely amazing, but If you lived there your whole life, where is your "ultimate" adventure? Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Unfortunately your map trails didn't come through for me however yes, Alaska would be an 'ultimate adventure' for me. Likewise, California would probably be one for you. I do applaud you though for getting out in your own back yard. Too many 'ultimate adventures' get planned for the future only to fade away in the 'someday' plans. I'm not going to have much time this year for multi-day rides however I'm planning one now that starts 30 miles from home, takes me about 500 miles of trails/roads/fire roads, and ends at my front door. Probably 3 days but most likely 4 because I may take some time at a couple areas that I know have some great trails. I'm also not bringing a ton of crap with me. I'm going to hotel or 'air bnb' it. Food will be found along the way. Tires and tools.. and I'm outta here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've had CO on my list for a while. Ophir Pass and all things picturesque. I'm actually spending a week in Steamboat Springs this summer - but without the bike. Hopefully, a week in CO will happen later in the year.

My "retirement ride" didn't happen but may next year. With family in the Salt Lake City and Seattle areas, I want to do back roads and dirt between San Diego - SLC - Seattle. This would include a few days of riding in S Utah - White Rim Trail and the like - and veeeeery loose time schedules. Ride on the coast as much as possible on the way home.

I may include renting some fire watch towers in the forests along the way. A local ridin' buddy hopped from one tower to the next on FS roads which looked interesting.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I got to ride a little last month due to the unusual warm spell we had.

Sadly, I won't be going on any big rides anytime soon. Can't get away. :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 am 

Todd157k wrote:
Alaska would be an 'ultimate adventure' for me. Likewise, California would probably be one for you.

I had never really considered riding to California, I've seen pictures from ride reports of the coast and it looks amazing! I might have to put that on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I've been lucky the last few years, rode Alaska, the CDT and just came back from Bogota, Colombia (rented 800GS). Would like to ride Tierra Del Fuego and eventually RTW. Problem is I want to ride the small trails, roost the native soils and launch off the local erosion control. The big distances between the sights and the fun riding interests me the least. Given enough time and energy an interesting and challenging route can be had just about anywhere. Time and money, the enemies of fun!