www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:12 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Po started it after many kicks when I bought it, figured it needed carb cleaning.Cleaned all jets and passages and only got it started 2 times in a row the other day while working on it hasn't started since.I had to hold on the gas to keep her running. Will not even fire up with starting fluid, but has spark.I'm very confused somebody please help me she's ready to be put on the road as soon as I get her running and summer is coming! Please help!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:08 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Hows your spark plug? does it smell like gas? usually when you have to hold the throttle all the way open to start it, it usually means that its flooded. When you cleaned your carb did you change the o-rings for the float in the carb? If you have the carb off blow air through the fuel line and turn the carb upside down. you should feel the air flow shut off. if it does not you have a issue with your needle valve or o-rings. :good: if it is flooded it will not start off starting fluid. leave the spark plugs out of the engine and let it sit for an hour. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE OVER WITH THE PLUGS OUT UNLESS YOU DISABLE YOUR COILS. This could result in a fire.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thank you I'm going to rebuild the carb this week end hopefully and do some work to the manifold.can you maybe point me in the right direction for carb settings from the jets and the idle screw? Would be much appreciated.

Manifold has one broken bolt, gonna try to grind a flat head into it and get that out and replace it to seal up the manifold and then charge the battery because I heard a dead one can cause problems with the ignition system. And rebuild the carb and go from there

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:33 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I set all of my machines by ear, so I don't have a specific spec for tuning the carb. BEFORE you try to adjust the carburetor Make sure to repair the intake manifold. if you have a leak it will throw all of your fuel/air mixture adjustments off. Once you have the manifold fixed and you have rebuilt the carb try to start it before you perform any adjustments. It may just start without any adjustments being necessary especially if you put the adjustments back where they were before you tore into it. A good rule of thumb is to count the amount of turns that it takes to remove the air and fuel screws. That way you can set it back where it was.

From the sounds of it you are more likely to need to adjust the float height over the mixture screws and main jet. you do this by attaching a clear fuel line to the drain nipple on your carburetor float bowl. once you have done this you turn the fuel on while holding the fuel line up next to the bowl. the fuel level should be about half way up the bowl. you can find the exact specification in the service manual. if the fuel level is too high you need to bend the tab on your float up. If it is too low you need to bend it down. don't forget to check the float to see if it is full of fuel. this would cause the fuel level to be way too high. If your float level is fine and it turns out to be that the adjustments are way out to begin with, adjust your idle fuel screw all the way in and back it out 3 turns. this will give you a spot to start from. adjust your idle screw until you hear a change in RPM then back it up 1/4 turn. then set your idle with the adjustment on the throttle. For your main jet I have found that it is best to start out on the second notch from bottom up. But I would suggest that you leave the clip in the spot that it is in now, and adjust it after you get it running. :good:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:16 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

What about carb rebuild kits? I found one on eBay for $13 but it'll take 12 days to get here.mainly interested in what size jets should I get for stock air box, and po removed baffles in the exhaust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I would never trust a $13 EBay carb rebuild kit.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:05 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Can you point me in the right direction on maybe what set I should get at least to start out with? Stock carb stock airbox, po removed baffles from muffler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I usually get all of my parts through Bike bandit. They seem to have all of the parts that I need for the Dr, and they usually get them to me within 5 days. :yahoo:
I would suggest to start with the carb. The bike runs in stock form with out having to mod the exhaust or air box. I would not suggest tampering with these items unless the bike is running. doing so you might open a can of worms :s_no

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

:old: Have you actually pinpointed your issue with the carb yet? You may not have to rebuild the carb completely. I would start with pulling the bowl off and checking the seals. O-rings, leaking needle valve, or a wet float may be your issue. My advice is not to throw parts at it unless you pinpoint the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:09 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I have not pin pointed the issue yet,I know I need to get orings for the float assembly for sure... otherwise the carb is soaking right now for its 3rd cleaning hoping I can flush out what ever is in the carb. Gonna let it soak another day or two and fix the manifold issue and see what happens :scratch: