www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member, no DR yet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 pm 

Hello everyone,
I am a new member to the forum, but I don't have a bike yet, at least not a DR. I have been riding most of my life, about 35 years, about 20 of those on dirt machines. Typically those were big four strokes; an XR500R, a Husky TE610, etc.
Currently in the stable we (my wife and I) have an HD Low Rider, a Shadow Spirit 750, and some project bikes including an old Triumph chopper, a GS650 café racer project, and a 77 FLH.
In recent months the bug to do some "adventure" riding has bitten me. I know there are many sophisticated motorcycles available in this segment now a days, but I prefer simplicity and manageable weight in a bike over hi-tech. I have always been a Suzuki guy too, so for those reasons and more the DR650 is very appealing to me.
My wife has given me her blessing to move on this purchase, but we are at gridlock over buying new versus buying used. I prefer used, she is pushing for new. While we can afford the payment on the new bike, I question the practicality of it. I like the idea of a used bike because, c'mon, its a dirt bike for all intents and purposes, it is gonna get wet, dirty, dropped, and whooped on to a certain degree. That and the fact that it's a DR650, has a huge aftermarket, and many parts will see replacement in their lifetime anyway. She argues that for many of the same reasons the bike should be new, namely reliability and peace of mind.
For me the DR650 is an unknown. I have found one that is sort of local , an 06 with 21K miles on the clock, that shows some wear, but overall looks to be in decent condition. The guy wants $2200.
I'm just not sure, and I'm sorry this is so long for a new member post. Mostly I'm here for advice and to get to know the machine and the people who ride them. Thanks for having me!

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

this one?
https://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/6007972208.html

missing side covers, ratty looking muffler, still has stock seat? bring $1500 cash take it or leave and keep looking.. I got a 2013 w/3200 miles for $3200 in Mpls.. it had a corbin, big rack and more..

but yeah if in Montana you should have a DR.. brand new, not so sure.. the bikes are pretty bullet proof so warranty not really needed IMHO..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If you need to make payments/take a loan then you can't afford the bike. At least that's the way I look at it when I buy a toy. If I don't have cash in hand I don't buy. Also buying used generally gets you a lot more bike as there will inevitably be some farkles going along with the deal. A couple of things abouts DR's.

1. Almost no one is satisfied with the DR in stock trim so it won't be long until you start adding things like skid plates, good handlebars, comfortable seat, hand guards, suspension work etc..
2. DR's are as simple and as reliable as an anvil. Even with minimal maintenance they will last a very long time,
3. 2nd generation DR's have been make essentially the same for the last 21 years. There are plenty of good used bikes out there it just might take some time until the right one pops up f/s.

As for the bike your looking at a picture would be worth a 1000 words but generally speaking if the bike is in good shape the price doesn't sound too bad. If this were the bike I were pursuing I would try and get the $200 knocked off the asking price which will make it about $4,500 to $5,500 less than a new DR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:18 am 

thanks for the responses guys. All great points you both bring up, all points I have argued with to my wife. In her defense we haven't had great luck as of late buying used equipment/toys, so she is very gun-shy.
Yes fotoguzzi, that is the one. We have been emailing a bit. He is in Glasgow, about 300 miles from me. He is somewhat willing to deliver the bike, because he is going to be in my area this next week anyway. I told him it looked OK, but that if I do make an offer it would not be full price. If he delivered it I would take that into consideration, but the fact is its not a "full-price" bike, IMHO. He said it would have a new rear tire and seat cover when sold, so I was figuring on offering $1800, delivered.
PerazziMX14, I agree with your points too. The bike does have a couple extras. I don't mind taking out the loan, but now isn't a good time, but I tend to agree with you there too: if its for a toy, I would prefer to have the cash on hand. For this bike, which although I think I would get a ton of use out of, it is still a toy to a large extent, and one that, as I said, is going to be ridden hard, in difficult conditions. And I believe that in the case of the big DR, a new bike is nearly as likely to fail as a used one, generally speaking. We will see what happens. Thanks you guys for your input!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:21 am 

Hopefully these upload ok

Attachments:
00S0S_9WpO5N0Arec_1200x900.jpg
00S0S_9WpO5N0Arec_1200x900.jpg [ 185.95 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]
00000_e24BxkXYRe8_1200x900.jpg
00000_e24BxkXYRe8_1200x900.jpg [ 198.91 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

From the pictures:

1. Rear fender and mud flap is not stock. Make sure the frame wasn't cut and/or hacked up to accommodate the new fender. Also make sure the turnsignal tabs are still in place. Wiring will also have been mess with. Unfortunately most DIY'ers use junk crimp connectors from the auto parts store and electrical tape so these amateur at best.
2. Side panels are missing. Cost to replace if you can find used is $100+. Side panels are a necessity IMHO as they protect some electrical components.
3. Front fender has been changes out. Not a big deal.
4. Motor looks clean. Have the seller take pictures of the underside of the frame and motor to verify there is no dented frame tubes and/or repaired holes in the cases.
5. Tell him the seat cover he can keep. There is a 99.9% chance your going to change the seat out anyways and the stock seat foam and cover are just about worthless. Seat concepts make several seat variants for the DR. You get new foam and a cover and reuse your seat pan. A hand held stapler and 20 minutes and you have a seat WAYYYYY more comfortable than stock.
6. New tires are nice but if you can stop him now from buying and take that off the cost of the bike do it. Tires are personal preference. What he is putting on you may not like. When buying a used bike I'd rather the tires be work out and get the bike at a reduce cost. Then I can put on the tires I like. Honestly for the DR the tires I like best are Shinko 244's. A full set costs $100 shipped to your door.
7. The exhaust is dodgy at best.
8. If you go to see the bike take the headlight cowl off and look to make sure the wiring under there has not been butchered.

So if you can stop the seat cover and tire take $200 straight off the asking price and negotiate from there. I'd shoot for $1,500 and pay up $1,700ish. If the frame is dented underneath or has been modified the offer price would drop into the $1,200 range. Again there are no shortage of these bikes so if your gut feeling is walk away.....walk away.

Also if your not a member join up on ADV Rider lots of bikes listed there f/s. No matter what you do, do not panic and buy a KLR :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:31 am 

All great advice...thank you very much! The only point I disagree with is availability. This is literally the only DR650 I can find for sale within a 500 mile radius. Good point on the KLR lol! No worries sir; a KLR isn't even an option to me.
I wondered about the fenders, and thanks for pointing out the turn signal wiring too. Part of the problem with this bike is that it's a long way to travel to look at what I suspect is kind of a beater. Or that this guy is too proud of what he has to be willing to come down to a sane price. I hate the thought of taking a full day to go look at it and come home empty handed, and my gut tells me it's not a deal anyway. Combine with that the rift between my wife and i over a used versus new bike, and I think i will probably end up passing on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Your geographic location does pose a bit of an issue but trust me others will pop up. Another option is to lean on us. If you find a bike in a location not conducive to traveling to see it ask one of us who is local to it to be your eyes. Shipping bikes is not terribly expensive. Typically its been running about $600 coast to coast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:29 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Welcome to the forum Ironhead!
If you'd like the owners or service manual in PDF format to read up on specs and maintenance while you are looking for the right DR650, PM me for the links.:s_yes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:58 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Saw this on advrider. A very sharp, nicely farkled '02. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2 ... d.1206738/