www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 pm 

Tombo wrote:
Welcome! My dad grew up in Billings, beautiful place! Haven't been there since I was a very young boy, have been wanting to drive through the area for years - closest I've been getting is my band's yearly trip to Boise.

Anyhow, thought I'd put it out there that it's ok to buy new, as well - it's what I did - and to perrazi's comment, it is because I "couldn't afford it" at the time, but I HAD to have it. The good news is that Suzuki does 0% financing very frequently - and with the right approach, it's possible to get significant reduction in price. I can't remember exactly, but I think I paid just under 6k out the door at 0% apr for 5 years. Ive had a dozen motorcycles in and out of my garage, but this was the first one I bought brand new - and I have no regrets. I know exactly what has been done to it, how it's been cared for and maintained, and I modified it specifically to my own desires. Low monthly payments have made room in my budget for all the mods I can ask for.

I will say though, that knowing what I know, and assuming better financial standing than at the time of my last purchase, the next time I buy a DR (and there will be another time, make no mistake), it will likely be used. I'll be looking specifically for the ultra low mileage garage queen purchased from someone with gray hair and a broken collar bone.

Thanks! I actually just moved to Billings. In truth I have kind of always been here though, having grown up in laurel just 15 miles away.
I understand and agree on the new purchase idea. I'm a grown man, I can make my own financial decisions. That being said, I feel that for a bike of this type, and beings that it won't be my primary bike, I would prefer to buy used. I certainly haven't ruled out a new bike, but am really leaning toward used due to the lack of need for financing, and the value: many used bikes are nearly new, yet come with many extras, and for half the price of a new one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

assume you saw this in Ketchum?

topic20016.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm 

fotoguzzi wrote:
assume you saw this in Ketchum?

topic20016.html

I had not, no. Great looking bike with a ton of mods, but I think he is a little out of his gourd on price though. It has a lot done to it, but I'm looking at a couple that are almost as heavily outfitted/modded if not more and they are selling for a couple thousand less. Its a really nice bike though and almost exactly what I am looking for...thanks for helping me look!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Welcome soon to be DR rider.
Any thing from 06 and on will be ideal.
From 06 onwards most of the readability issues had been sorted out by the factory.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 am 

methanol wrote:
From 06 onwards most of the readability issues had been sorted out by the factory.

thank you! by "readability", I'm assuming you meant "reliability"? Such as which issues? NSU and countershaft seal, etc? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:54 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Ironhead wrote:
methanol wrote:

thank you! by "readability", I'm assuming you meant "reliability"? Such as which issues? NSU and countershaft seal, etc? Thanks!

There your go.
Spiel cheque donut correct the rung ward.

Third gear destruction
Starter motor drive

The NSU not - a bit early yet to decide if the 2017 model year thread locking compound is a success.