www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:04 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Me and my friend were planning on going moto-camping on the Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail. We would start in the middle of it and probably head north. Do it in a couple days. Camp a little too.

One question I have is what tires you would recommend. I was looking at the Shinko 804 & 805's which are 60off/40on.

I also was wondering if my boxes would be too heavy. From what I understand the trail isn't too rough, but can be sandy in some parts. They're made from water proof, I believe 20mm ammo cans? I quick looked up the weight and I think combined they are about 40lbs. I'll post a picture of them.

My friend has some hammocks so I think we were going to maybe use those at night with some sleeping bags. I've never gone moto-camping, so if you can give me any tips or suggest some posts to read that would be awesome.

Attachments:
IMG_20140829_193513746-min.jpg
IMG_20140829_193513746-min.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

if sleeping in a Hammock what is your plan for mosquitoes? there is a Hammock forum with "hang in's" all over places..
2, NW Wisconsin has A LOT of deer ticks, they are very small and hard to detect (can't feel them on you like a wood tick) and they carry Limes disease.. not something you want to contract..
I spend lots of time around Danbury up to Lake Superior.. many ATV's not that many bikes because it's real sandy and the trails are groomed for 4 wheelers..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:31 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I have a mosquito thermal cell, but if it's windy that won't do much. I'm planning on going in late march so I don't think they will be that bad yet but who knows. If it rains the week before they could be bad. I'll have to keep mosquitos in mind. I hunt in northern Wisconsin, upland game birds and white tail deer, so I'm use to deer ticks and what to do if one decides to latch on to you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

In March, no worries, hope you don't get blanketed in snow!

IsaacClarke wrote:
I have a mosquito thermal cell, but if it's windy that won't do much. I'm planning on going in late march so I don't think they will be that bad yet but who knows. If it rains the week before they could be bad. I'll have to keep mosquitos in mind. I hunt in northern Wisconsin, upland game birds and white tail deer, so I'm use to deer ticks and what to do if one decides to latch on to you.

good to know, I've picked a few of them "full up" off my dog..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

You don't need to purchase any trail stickers for this route do you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

IsaacClarke wrote:
You don't need to purchase any trail stickers for this route do you?

No stickers needed. The trail is designed to avoid any counties that require stickers for plated bikes.

I've done the trail twice, 2015 and 2016. I'd recommend doing the whole thing if at all possible. Some of the most fun sections are the Iowa section on the SouthWest part of the trail and around the Clam Lake, WI area. Those sections can be wet, so try and pick a day when it hasn't rained in a while if at all possible.

It's a 3 day ride going at a normal pace. I did it both times on Shinko 700 tires. 804/805s will be excellent.

If you have an Android phone, I'd recommend using the GPX Viewer app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ewer&hl=en
I used it last time and it was amazing. Very easy to follow the trail. Best part is it's free.

IsaacClarke wrote:
I've never gone moto-camping, so if you can give me any tips or suggest some posts to read that would be awesome.

Try and keep things light. Don't overpack. There are enough towns on the way to at least eat lunch every day in town.

Bring all the tools you need for general maintenance. Bring spare tubes, patch kits, and Tire Slime, as well as a decent pump (manual or electric). You'll want to air down your tires when you get to gravel. If you want, I can email you an item list that I put together that's served me pretty well. PM me your email and I can send it to you.

Your side cases should be fine. I don't know if it's worth buying new ones if the ones you have work well enough. One way to save some weight would be to share a tent with your friend, if that's a possibility. If you're creative, you can think of others.

It's a beautiful trail. I think you'll really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:37 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

So did you ride the trail? What did you think?