www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:31 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:26 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

When your DR650 starter motor starts to squark like a rooster, it's time to get some grease in there. Or if you want a permanent fix, buy the $70 starter cap from Warp 9 which has a built in bearing: http://www.warp9racing.com/how-to/how-to-install-a-dr650-starter-cap/

Otherwise consider drilling a hole in your start motor cap so you can easily lube it in future (see pic at end of post).

This often happens during the warranty period because Suzuki tries to save a few cents on grease per bike. Some dealers try to say this sound is normal - it isn't! Insist they fix it under warranty, as Suzuki only fixes the known issues on the DR650 when it could actually cost them money.

Watch this vid, or see the basic steps below. Please note, some guys do this differently. You can do all of this without removing the exhaust and cam chain tensioner if you don't mind squeezing your fingers into cramped spots.

Remove your exhaust header pipe.
Unbolt the clutch cable bracket.
Unbolt the engine oil cooler line.
Remove the cam chain tensioner (good video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LjhHjMG-MM )
Disconnect the wiring to the starter motor.
Pull the starter motor out.
Ensure drainage hole in engine case is clear.
Disassemble and grease both ends.
Check your brushes and rubber seals etc for wear.
Grease the rubber seals then reassemble.
Check cam chain tensioner gasket is intact.
Insert screwdriver into cam chain tensioner to take pressure off during reassembly.
Ensure copper washers are in place when tightening oil cooler line bolts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Just fixed my starter yesterday. Mine is a 2016 and it started showing its ass a couple of months ago. There was barely any grease at the bushing and little in the bearing. There was also black residue/powder under the cap, bushing end, from wear. I repacked with grease and now all is good again. I managed not to ruin the tensioner gasket. It took a little while to remove everything and reassemble but it was well worth it. No more starter monster!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

With the starter in place you can also drill a 1/16th in hole in the cap to allow a few drops of oil in. Once lubed a smear of silicone to seal the hole. If you need to re-lubricate gently drill out the silicone and repeat. Whole process took about 5 minutes with 2-1/2 of those minutes drinking a beer.