www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:39 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Lots of road closures due to the storm. Here are the current road conditions from the NP service:

• Emigrant Canyon Road: Closed from Highway 190 due to debris and mud.
  • Scotty's Castle Road (also known as North Highway): Closed from Highway 190 due to debris and mud. Due to October 2015 flood damage, there is no access to Grapevine Canyon (Bonnie Claire Rd), Scotty's Castle, or NV-267.
  • Lower Wildrose Road: Closed between the Wildrose Campground and Panamint Valley Road.
  • Titus Canyon Road: Closed due to snow.
  • West Side Road: Closed due to mud.
  • Artists Drive: Will be closed from January 9, 2017 through March 16, 2017 for much needed flood repairs.
  • Keane Wonder Road and Mine: Closed due to mine safety hazards.
  • Saline Valley (South Pass): Not recommended due to boulders, deep mud, and snow.

So as of right now, Racetrack area is not accessible unless you want to deal with the snow on South Pass and come in from that side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:43 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Thanks for that update. I had been watching the conditions but not in the last couple of days.
This update will most likely delay our trip. :sad:

Not sure if you are using their FB page or the NPS page.
Both contain the same info and posting them here for others that may need them in the future
https://www.facebook.com/pg/DeathValleyRoadConditions/posts/
https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

:lurk:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

We've had the vacation time scheduled and reservations made for a few months, so no delaying for us. It will just mean we stick to lower altitude trails if things aren't opened up. We have 5 full days of riding time, 2-27 through 3-3, so maybe by the end of the week more stuff will be open...

Both of those links are where I've been checking conditions (found the facebook page from the other page)...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

My trip will have to wait until 18 or 25 March. My friend can't get away until then. Hopefully the roads we need will be open before it starts getting too hot to be spending much time in DV.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:50 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

GT4Point6 wrote:
My trip will have to wait until 18 or 25 March. My friend can't get away until then. Hopefully the roads we need will be open before it starts getting too hot to be spending much time in DV.

Probably not a bad move to delay although some of the roads are opening back up. Sounds like South Pass is passable for bikes now, Scotty's Castle is open to Ubehebe Canyon and Emigrant Canyon is open to the Kilns.

We're headed down this weekend so I'll update this thread with conditions when we get back... :Roost:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Go for it guys. All the "off-road" routes in DV are doable on DRs and KLRs, especially if you're riding in a group/duo. Weather and closures will be your biggest challenges. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

endoquest wrote:
Go for it guys. All the "off-road" routes in DV are doable on DRs and KLRs, especially if you're riding in a group/duo. Weather and closures will be your biggest challenges. Have fun!

Thanks! We're on our way, in Winnemucca tonight, arriving in Beatty tomorrow. Hoping to get at least a short ride in tomorrow, not sure if that will happen or not. At least out to Rhyolite and maybe some of the trails out to some of the mines in that area for a warm up ride. Haven't been on the bikes since November other than a once a month 10 minute ride around the property to keep the carbs from clogging up...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

We rode up to the top of the Chloride Cliffs today (elevation 5200 ft), no snow, good conditions. Then rode down into Furnace Creek and through Mustard Canyon. We also rode down to 20 Mule Canyon, hoping to ride that, but it is still closed.

Probably going to ride out to Racetrack tomorrow.

Weather conditions are perfect. Temps today were in the mid 50's to low 60's depending on altitude, which to me is ideal riding weather. It got warm enough we were shedding layers and opening vents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

And today we rode out through Emigrant Canyon and hit Skiddoo, Aguereberry Point, and Charcoal Kilns. Another beautiful day, and great conditions. A little mud and snow the last half mile going up to Charcoal Kilns, and the gates were closed beyond that point.

Tomorrow we are taking a day off from riding and planning to take the truck out to Racetrack, and maybe do a little hiking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Your trip sounded really good, kind of mad we cancelled our earlier date.

Looks like my trip will go down 24 or 25 March.

I just picked up a GoPro so hope to get some good pics and videos of Ubehebe Crater, Racetrack, TeaKettle Junction, Grandstand, and Lippincott on the way down.
My buddy picked up new tires so I'm helping him put them on, getting used to changing tires/tubes, that's a good thing and he is learning so all good if we need to change one on the trail.

More to follow after we get back.

:Roost: :bumps: