www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just found an interesting article about a proposed 100% USA tariff on a large segment of imported Euro bikes.
I'm all for protecting local manufacturing (and preferred trading partners), but there's not a lot of non Euro buying options available in some bike categories.
Going to be tough for the trials and speedway riders.

"American Motorcyclist Association President and CEO Rob Dingman will testify Feb. 15 against a 100 percent tariff on some European motorcycles proposed by the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative.

"We object to this proposed tariff because it would harm American motorcyclists," Dingman said. "Significantly raising the cost of European motorcycles through a tariff could price thousands of families out of the motorcycle market."

The tariff would affect motorcycles with engines displacing 51cc to 500cc from Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Ducati, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

The federal agency is seeking the tariff as leverage against the European Union in an ongoing dispute over the importing of U.S. beef to Europe that contains hormones. A public hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Feb. 15 in Rooms 1 and 2, 1724 F St. NW., Washington, D.C.

At the AMA's urging, more than 10,000 emails have been sent to Congress on this issue, nearly 10,000 comments have been made directly to the agency through Regulations.gov and more than 5,000 emails have been sent to President Donald Trump.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative is responsible for developing and coordinating U.S. international trade, commodity and direct investment policy and overseeing negotiations with other countries. The head of USTR is the U.S. Trade Representative, a Cabinet member who serves as the president's principal trade adviser, negotiator and spokesperson on trade issues.

"We don't believe non-agricultural products should be included in tariffs connected to agricultural trade disputes," Dingman said. "In addition to substantially raising prices for American riders, this tariff would jeopardize the many small and medium-sized businesses that rely on the sale of European motorcycles, parts and accessories."

European makers of 51cc-399cc motorcycles used for racing provide nearly half the units available to U.S. consumers, and nearly a quarter of the market in the 400-500cc class. There are not significant numbers of U.S.-made options for consumers in those market segments.

In the on-road motorcycle segment, 100 percent of the models 300cc and smaller are imported to the United States from abroad.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative tried the same tactic in 1998 and 2008, but the efforts were thwarted when the AMA, the Motorcycle Industry Council and bike manufacturers and retailers rallied motorcyclists against the plan. At that time, the U.S. Trade Representative instead raised the tariff on a variety of European food products."

:lurk:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:02 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Interesting, but not likely this proposed tax will ever prevail. :wacko:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:57 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

So, what bikes in the DR/adventure genre are made in the US? I'm sure some Japanese (and possibly even European) companies have plants there. What would they be protecting?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dinsdale wrote:
So, what bikes in the DR/adventure genre are made in the US? I'm sure some Japanese (and possibly even European) companies have plants there. What would they be protecting?

US makes big ol cruisers and some electric bikes. Nothing in the dual sport or off road comes to mind.

Think Harley, Victory (not for long), Indian, Zero, Lighting, etc. I guess there is Rokon, but those are more lawn tractor than motorcycle. Highland was supposed to be a big thing coming, but I believe they have closed up shop, again (twice here, in Sweden a few times).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

adam728 wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

US makes big ol cruisers and some electric bikes. Nothing in the dual sport or off road comes to mind.

Think Harley, Victory (not for long), Indian, Zero, Lighting, etc. I guess there is Rokon, but those are more lawn tractor than motorcycle. Highland was supposed to be a big thing coming, but I believe they have closed up shop, again (twice here, in Sweden a few times).

Christini 2WD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

It is supposed to be retaliation against the EU because they don't want American beef with growth hormones in it. Why they picked motorcycles to use against them I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
Christini 2WD

I thought built in China? The engine is - by Shandong Asiawing Motors Co., Ltd.

Honda and Kawasaki build a lot of stuff here, but all of the 4 wheeled variety as far as I know (ATV, UTV, and for Honda, automobiles).

The whole tariff on bikes because you won't take our beef thing is just so stupid it's nearly unbelievable. Goes to show how f-d up politics is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Really hoping for the sake of the domestic USA speedway riders, that common sense will prevail and this knee jerk proposed policy is binned before it gets any more momentum.

I would be very surprised if there was any other source of speedway bikes other than Euro/Brit supply.
A healthy domestic race scene is paramount in developing your next Grin (Greg Hancock).
It must be hard enough already for a USA national speedway rider to make that next big step up to the world SPG stage.
Racing motorcycles costs real money.

The Grin will eventually retire and who will be there to fill a SPG spot for the USA?
Here in in Australia there is no end of young talent always ready to have a go at the Euro adventure.

OK. Yeah I'm a big fan of The Grin and his style of racing. I'm sure he could do with more home country recognition.
You guys over there having a living, breathing current legendary world champion to be proud of.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

adam728 wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:
Christini 2WD

I thought built in China? The engine is - by Shandong Asiawing Motors Co., Ltd.

oddly enough the last Christini product i rode was a Honda, but it was a AWD not a 2WD

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Here is a link to an article by Motorcycle.com

Office Of United States Trade Representative Wants To Add 100% Tariff To 51-500cc EU-Manufactured Bikes
Doubling retail price will kill sales and damage American dealerships

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/offi ... om20170117

It would have more of an effect on under 500cc dirt bikes, dual sports and street bikes.

It does not apply to any of the Japanese MFR's, just European MFR's.