www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:59 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:36 am 

Hello!

I own a 92 DR650R (SP44B), which I've had now only a few years, my first Suzuki ever! It came with the airbox top cut wide open, a straight through (and very loud) aftermarket GSXR type exhaust and jetting modifications done to the carb. All this sure gave it power, but made it very difficult to ride as it was often unpredictable (stalling, surging and bogging) at low and medium speeds. It also turned out to be very impractical as it took over 10L/100km! After reading all the material I could find about the carb, tinkering for many months and still not getting it to run quite right, I cleaned the carb and went back to stock. Put on the stock pipe, inserted the stock jetting kit and taped up to top of the box leaving a bit extra room for more air to get in.

Going back to stock seemed to do the trick, it ran very well, got 5L/100km, but I don't like the sound of the original can and I wanted more power. So, after some searching online I found a 03 GSXR can x18G0x (long and a bit thick, but had the light Titanium core). I then set about installing it (see attached pics). Gotta say, it sounds superb!!! :yahoo: I'm elated and so are my neighbours. :sarcastic:

Now for my exhaust question...
Is it necessary or just recommended to use vibration dampeners between the frame and exhaust mounting brackets? Consequences? Tips?

I plan to open up the box a bit now and once again jet the carb, but I'm having trouble piecing together which and what as it's a 92 not a 96 or newer DR... :s_dunno Basically I'm asking if I administer the level 3 BST magic mods intended for 96 and newer DR bikes on a 92, will it work out well?

I've read through almost all the posts, links and bibles I can find on jetting the BST40, airbox mods and GSXR cans so I've some ideas now, but don't wanna end up back at square one as it's an older bike than found in the mods posts etc. Is there anyone out there (riding at sea level or close to sea level) with a pre 96DR who's experience doing these mods successfully and who wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge about the jet sizes, settings and box opening sizes they used?

My current stock carb set: Main Jet #137.5, Needle Y532 (no positions), Pilot/Idle Jet 52.5, Needle Jet (don't recall).

Available carb set: Main Jet #155, Needle 6H25-94 (4 clip positions & very nicely tapered), Pilot/Idle Jet 47.5, Needle Jet Y-2.
If I recall correctly mxrob recommended to someone earlier in this forum with a 95 DR to try a 42.5 Pilot/Idle Jet.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. :biggrin:

BTW enjoy the pics. :2_thumbsup:
I had better close-ups, but the files were too large, sorry!

Attachments:
P_20170104_105937.jpg
P_20170104_105937.jpg [ 775.15 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]
File comment: Side shot with sidecover.
P_20170104_105920.jpg
P_20170104_105920.jpg [ 803.4 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]
File comment: A view from the top.
P_20170104_105634.jpg
P_20170104_105634.jpg [ 734.78 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]
File comment: Pipe sits nice even if it's a bit long.
P_20170104_105247.jpg
P_20170104_105247.jpg [ 731.15 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]
File comment: My stainless steel makeshift flex/midpipe.
P_20170104_105610.jpg
P_20170104_105610.jpg [ 825.15 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:55 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

There is no reason the BST Magic or other available jetting kits shouldn't work on your machine as long as the airbox has been opened up so the machine can breathe. The earlier model DR650 BST's were set up with a larger pilot air jet hence the larger pilot jet size. To run a 42.5 pilot jet you'd have to change the pilot air jet to a 1.0.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:05 am 

Thanks mxrob for you reply about the BST mods. :good:

I'll keep your advice in mind when I get back to it.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:04 pm 

Well it took some time searching on the internet and some digging, but I found all the Mikuni parts codes for the jets I desire except one. That would of course be the Slow System Pilot Air Jet (1.0). I just can't seem to find it anywhere and the parts shop I visited wasn't able to help.

Would anyone out there happen to know the code for the Mikuni BST40SS Slow System Pilot Air Jet (1.0)?

If so id appreciate being endowed with such knowledge so I can progress with upgrading my carb from 92 to 96+ spec and then apply the BST Magic mods. :s_yes

Thanx!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

RockyMtnMan wrote:
Well it took some time searching on the internet and some digging, but I found all the Mikuni parts codes for the jets I desire except one. That would of course be the Slow System Pilot Air Jet (1.0). I just can't seem to find it anywhere and the parts shop I visited wasn't able to help.

Would anyone out there happen to know the code for the Mikuni BST40SS Slow System Pilot Air Jet (1.0)?

If so id appreciate being endowed with such knowledge so I can progress with upgrading my carb from 92 to 96+ spec and then apply the BST Magic mods. :s_yes

Thanx!

The suzuki P/N http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oempart ... ot-air-1-0

Mikuni P/N BS30/97-100

Sudco P/N 002-155 (most aftermarket Mikuni parts houses will use this number)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:52 pm 

I recently had time to check out the link mxrob posted in reply to my question about finding an order/reference number for the BST40 air jet. They're a goldmine of info for anyone looking for parts numbers, labels/names etc! :biggrin:
Don't know why I never found the same link... Must be something to do with search engines, different continents etc...

Anyway.

Thanx again mxrob you've once again been a great help! :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm 

I thought I should mention here that I got into a bit of a tense situation while fitting my carburetor with new jets. I'd planned originally to only remove the jets and set things up like in the BST magic mods posts. Nice and simple, but no. I shoulda known better, an old machine like this almost always throws a few curveballs at you when working on em. :shoot:

What happened was that everything came out nice and easy until I got to the tiny little 1.4 air jet. Probably oxidized in place and never budged from the day it was installed. I pre soaked it with penetrating oil a couple days and then banged it a few times with a hammer via the screwdriver. Then applied downward pressure and tried turning. After a few attempts I heard a small crack and felt some give, I thought it came loose, but no. Instead a 1/2 moon shape broke off that head of the jet leaving me without leverage. Then I attempted to make a deeper slot for the flat head, but it kept stripping out. Multiple attempts only led me to being totally frustrated with the situation and failed attempts, so I applied more penetrating oil and left it a few days. During this time I went to talk with an old mechanic. He presented me with a few good ideas :idea:

Here's how I eventually got that tiny little jet outta the carb.
As I couldn't find a bolt extractor small enough to fit without doing some serious damage to the carb, I decided to use a torx bit. To prevent potential damage to other components I also removed all other components which were still in place. Then I heated up the area around the jet with my electric heat gun until the penetrating oil started smoking out of the carb. I then let it cool a bit while putting on protective welding gloves (so as not to accidentally burn my hands) and tapped the tiny torx bit into the jet bore with a hammer. I then connected the screwdriver to the bit applied downward pressure and got it turning after a couple attempts and voila! It was out.

The jet was ruined in the process, but I was going to fit it with a 1.0 anyway.

Hopefully someone finds this to be of some help if they are in a similar bind.

Attachments:
File comment: Gotta make sure the bit gets driven into the jet deep enough to grip, but isn't too wide to expand it a lot and wedge it in even firmer.
WP_20170209_005.jpg
WP_20170209_005.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 110 times ]
File comment: The little #@%$@# nicely stuck in place. ;^)
WP_20170206_001.jpg
WP_20170206_001.jpg [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 110 times ]
File comment: It's out!
WP_20170209_001.jpg
WP_20170209_001.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 110 times ]
File comment: Torx bit and ruined 1.4 air jet.
WP_20170209_006.jpg
WP_20170209_006.jpg [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 110 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:07 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

:clapping: Nice work.... I've had to improvise many times removing broken parts in carbs without ruining the body. Just a bit of thought and some access to the right tools can prevent disasters. :good: