www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The DR650 of cars...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:03 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Suzuki Mehran 1988-Present
OK, to be fair, the production start year is even older than the DR650 by 8 years. And it's produced only in Pakistan and not Japan. Maybe this makes it more like a modern-era Royal Enfield of the car world. Let's see in another 30 years. Hey, at least it has electronic fuel injection since 2013.

There is a Wiki page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Mehran

Check it out, a brand new plastic still on seats 2017 Suzuki Mehran Euro II:

Post subject: Re: The DR650 of cars...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:40 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

:OMG: :fool: :whistling:

ummm... no.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Maybe not that one, but I have wished for a long time there was a car with a long production run unchanged, simple to work on, inexpensive to buy, and durable. VW Beetle was one of them, and I suppose my recent Crown Victoria is sort of that way though it is anything but simple and easily serviced. I guess regulations are just not going to allow it to happen again, at least not in this country.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:00 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I was thinking the Lada Niva

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva

1978 Suzuki GS1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

We had the various iterations of this model in USA for decades, right up until Suzuki Auto pulled out of USA market about 4 or 5 years ago. Shame, one the true undiscovered TRUE ADVENTURE vehicles.

Doubt this?

A good friend has lived in a remote area of Baja now for about 10 years. There is an extensive X Pat community there. One of the MOST popular vehicles among these Baja folks is this little Suzuki. My friend finally bought one about 5 years ago. I've had the opportunity to borrow the little Suzuki to go Walkabout ... and I was amazed. Tough, reliable ... will go anywhere, run all day in 100f heat and even gets fairly good MPG. He paid $1800 for the example below. Harder to find now, but they are out there. This one needed a clutch when he bought it ... NO problems since then. NONE.

If I had to take four wheels on an adventure ... this Suzuki would be first choice!
(we call them Suzuki Samurai, Side Kick and a few other model names used over the 20 years they were imported)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

i had two i'd call the Dr650's of cars. not because of how long they were produced with out a change, but because of the little to no maintenance, and never breaking and little to no cost of ownership.

1986 4 door 5 speed 4 cylinder 4x4 Isuzu Trooper. i paid $400 for it when i was 19 I beat the S**t out of that truck it had 350,000 miles, it drank more oil than gas, i could stick my fist through rust holes in the frame rail, just a set of all terrains on her and she would go anywhere, seen more air time than a Cessna and more mud than a pig, it just wouldn't die. always got 20 mpg, went anywhere, and would burn rubber in the first two gears. a kid talked me out of it for his first car for $400, he drove it for a year and it finally popped a head gasket, he drove it to the scrap yard and they gave him $400 for it lol.

the other was my 1991 BMW 535I, i bought this car for my first real job because i needed something to pile miles on and i had very little money at the time. bought it with 264,000 miles, figured i would get a year at best out of it. 430,000 miles never a problem, even sold it for $500 more than i paid for it 4 years later.......and its still going today. cars are just not made like they used o be.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25