www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

It's been a wonderful 3 years with my 2014 DR, but now it's sold. After 44 years of sport touring I bought the DR to learn Enduro and gravel skills. It was a great tool to ride and learn about suspension (sag, spring rates, damping, oil levels), tire pressures for gravel traction etc, but now I'm moving on to a KTM 350 EXC-F for Enduro and an Africa Twin for Adventures. My BMW R1200RT is going too.

Thanks to Rick @ Cogent for the DDC's and springs, Jessie @ Keintech for sprockets, ProCycle for 4-finger levers, Pat Walsh for rack and bash plate, Moto-Racks for side luggage racks, Wolfman for Enduro tank bag, tail bag and Expedition dry bags, Aaron @ Modern Motorcycle in Vancouver for the bike, Renthal bars, Acerbis hand guards, Oxford heated grips, extended fuel screw and Suzuki 6F19carb needle, Derek @ Motolab for his carb tuning advice, Geoff @ GP Moto in Kamloops for D606 and GT213 knobs, Rod @ RMR Suspension in Abbotsford for the stock shock re-valve and stiffer shock spring, Colin @ MX1-Canada for the Double Take mirrors, and finally, GPS Central in Calgary for the Garmin Montana with BC Backroads Map SD card.

It's been fun. I gained a lot from this forum and hope I gave a bit back as I learned things and posted on the forums.

Cheers Boyz. :drinks:

Attachments:
2 (1).jpg
2 (1).jpg [ 541.16 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]
1 (1).jpg
1 (1).jpg [ 509.34 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Happy new adventures with both excellent choices of bikes!
If someone would have to split the DR into two different bikes covering its broad use spectrum, chances are the bikes you chose are what the doctor would order.

Be well!! :howdy:
and do not forget: Brief us back on how the new bikes perform and behave after the DR experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:09 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

It's been good having you ... and your choice is proof again that it takes two more specialized and expensive bikes to improve upon what the mighty DR650 does. :s_biggrin
As Mi_ka says, give us some feedback on the new bikes when you get a chance. :lurk:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:57 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

WoodRat wrote:
It's been good having you ... and your choice is proof again that it takes two more specialized and expensive bikes to improve upon what the mighty DR650 does. :s_biggrin
As Mi_ka says, give us some feedback on the new bikes when you get a chance. :lurk:

Many thanks to you WoodRat and to MxRob for the forum. I't been a constant source of information and entertainment. My wife refers my time on the DRRIDERS.com forum as "talking to my imaginary friends"

Yes, I'll post back later on the new bikes - I'll pick up the KTM next week and the AT is scheduled for end Feb delivery. I'll have the AT delivered with TKC80's instead of stock street tires then immediately add bash plate, hand guards and crash bars before heading for gravel and dirt :)

I do wonder how much longer Suzuki can sell the DR in the shrinking world markets available. Manufacturers had to meet Euro-4 emissions standards by model year 2016 for new bikes (Africa Twin) and by model year 2017 for existing bikes for (BMW GS, KTM 350 etc). Rumour has it the Volkswagen scandal meant CARB was extra diligent - so KTM's 2017 bikes were delayed as everything was scrutinized.

Perhaps Suzuki will look at what Honda has achieved with the AT and release a good basic Euro-4 compliant 650 (or 450) adventure bike - before Honda transforms their venerable XR650 or 450 motocross bikes. Of course it will mean water cooling, fuel injection, decent suspension, larger fuel tank...

See Ya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:39 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Congrats on new ride plan! I have machines for the extremes in a GL1800 and a KTM300EXC.... but I ride my DR650 far more often than either one of them. Everyone has a different view/requirements. With my MX/Trials background I just couldn't get the thrill/enjoyment out of the DR on our sandy woods trails here in Michigan. The wife likes the quiet smooth ride of the Wing... that doesn't piss me off either. Funny though, my first thought about going for a ride the DR is at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You'll be back. :2_thumbsup:

Congrats on your new bikes. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...