www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

And frankly it was terrifying. I mean, on the forum Rick is the nicest and most patient guy, but let's just say I've worked lots of places but I've never worked anywhere that the boss used a handheld taser to keep employees productive.

Poor Todd. If you've ordered from Cogent I'm sure you've talked to Todd. Every time he would look away from his screen for even an instant, zap, scream. Sorry boss.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I took the suspension off my KLX140G trail bike to bring to the Maestro. I was heading down from PA to drop junior off at VA Tech from Christmas break so we went on through to Asheville and stayed the night. Note: I've filled out less forms enlisting than were required to check in at the Holiday Inn at Asheville. I do however appreciate the no marijuana smoking signs they put on the desks in the rooms. I almost lit up a dank fat one but the sign stopped us in time. :BevButt:

The next morning, in some kind of fit of cosmic alignment or a matrix programming glitch I actually got ready early and arrived at Cogent way early. I really don't know how that happened. I have poor sense of direction, mediocre GPS skills and an underdeveloped sense of how long it takes to get anywhere. We even stopped for breakfast. Weird.

Well, they were more than gracious hosts despite my unexpected arrival time. Rick grabbed my shock and we headed into the shop. You know how you can tell when someone is good at something? When they are excited about what they are doing and can teach you all kinds of cool things about it. That's Rick.

He pulled the shock apart and measured the spring and dynoed it. Here's where it gets crazy. The stock spring rate on the KLX140G shock is pretty close to the stock DR and the shock dyno plot looks very, very similar to a stock DR dyno plot in terms of the curves when you overlay them. Kooky but very fortuitous for me that I had brought it to Rick.

My son and I got to see Rick's bikes and his well loved DR. You have to knock a certain way before the security team lets you into the garage so that has to stay private.

We grabbed a group photo before heading out. Don't be fooled. Rick is hiding the taser in this photo. My son looks very pleased because in four hours he will be back at the cadet barracks cleaning and doing push ups. :2_thumbsup:

Thanks so much for having us down Rick. It was really a pleasure to visit you and see where the Cogent magic happens.

Rick, me and happy junior.

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

Last edited by LostInPA on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:48 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rick and Joyce are awesome, he is the man behind my DR. With out Rick and his team our DR's would just be street bikes that got some occasional gravel dust on them.

Rick i admire your employee motivation methods, i think i will impediment this new method around my office.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

That's pretty cool. Was he able to setup a better shock for your 140?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rick is a great guy! I spent a lot of time talking to him at Rick's Rendezvous (named for a different Rick) dual sport meetup in TN a couple years back. I also spent close to an hour talking to him on the phone about my DR suspension setup.

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:40 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Todd157k wrote:
That's pretty cool. Was he able to setup a better shock for your 140?

Rick is thinking on it. We both felt that shooting for a sweet spot of gain versus moola spent for a bike like this is the goal. Likely looking at springs sized proper for me and my intended riding and emulators suited to cap it off. Building a custom shock is doable but for a $3699 MSRP bike, well, maybe if I hare scramble this bad boy. :rofl:

There is a KX140 home brew mod where guys put Kawi forks from the Kx100 and stuff on them, but as far as I know the only shock offering is a 30% stiffer spring from BBR. Bleh.

It will turn out cool I am sure.

Rick and Joyce are good people. :2_thumbsup:

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...