www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

My only experience with a Victory is on my brothers Victory Vegas...I'm not a big cruiser fan, but I enjoyed riding that bike. They also created a prototype electric bike, the Victory Empulse TT that looked promising even if it was just a prototype. What does this have to do with our DR or the dual sport/ADV market in general? Not much really...but it's sad to see any motorcycle brand disappear. Or maybe I'm just sensitive to this subject since I own a Buell.

It could also be seen as a decline in the motorcycle market in general, but I don't follow all the markets well enough to know if it is a general decline or more of a shift in the market from modern cruisers to something else...

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/article/victory-motorcycles-important-announcement

Empulse TT:

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Polaris has also recently resurrected the Indian brand.
They probably figure - and rightly so - that there is much more to be gained by concentrating on Indian rather than trying to run 2 motorcycle companies trying to sell into the same market.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nailed it, PC.

From the announcement: The experience, knowledge, infrastructure and capability we’ve built in those 18 years gave us the confidence to acquire and develop the Indian Motorcycle brand, so I would like to express my gratitude to everyone associated with Victory Motorcycles and celebrate your many contributions.”

Several factors influenced today’s announcement. Victory has struggled to establish the market share needed to succeed and be profitable. The competitive pressures of a challenging motorcycle market have increased the headwinds for the brand. Given the significant additional investments required for Victory to launch new global platforms that meet changing consumer preferences, and considering the strong performance and growth potential of Indian Motorcycle, the decision to more narrowly focus Polaris’ energy and investments became quite clear.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Spent 2000-2004 at a Polaris/Victory dealer. Not my style of bike, but I'll still be sad they are gone. Makes sense though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

I used to be supported by a husky dealer that carries victory, I always thought their bikes were cool. The only one I ever rode was a factory turboed one and it was awesome, I despise riding cruisers but that bike always put a smile on my face. I'm sad to see them go.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hopefully Arlen hangs it up as well. His designs for Polaris were abominations at best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Looking at the Victory Empulse TT a little more closely reminded me that it looks an awful lot like the Brammo electric motorcycle. Turns out Polaris/Victory bought the company Brammo and re-released their electric bike as the Empulse TT. So the death of Victory is also the demise of Brammo as well...

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/brammos-electric-motorcycle-is-now-the-19-999-victory-1720952919

As it has been mentioned, you can't blame Polaris for focusing on a single motorcycle company especially when they are in competing markets. Though, there was some rumors at one time that Victory, the more modern of the two would spin off into a sport bike and ADV bike company. Nothing more than rumors though...

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Probably needed the extra funds to cover lawsuits from XP1k RZRs that burned people to death...Lots of suits out there against them. After owning 4 Polaris products...I'll never own another.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ridepate wrote:
Probably needed the extra funds to cover lawsuits from XP1k RZRs that burned people to death...Lots of suits out there against them. After owning 4 Polaris products...I'll never own another.

Not entierly accurate.

Quote:
Polaris has received four reports of RZR 900s with fuel leaks and two reports of the vehicles catching on fire, one of which included a minor burn injury to a consumer. The company received 25 reports of RZR 1000s with fuel leaks. No injuries reported for RZR 1000s.

From
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/Polar ... -Vehicles/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

adam728 wrote:
ridepate wrote:

Not entierly accurate.

Quote:
Polaris has received four reports of RZR 900s with fuel leaks and two reports of the vehicles catching on fire, one of which included a minor burn injury to a consumer. The company received 25 reports of RZR 1000s with fuel leaks. No injuries reported for RZR 1000s.

From
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/Polar ... -Vehicles/

Wrong..Old report..

http://kutv.com/news/local/another-warn ... hicle-fire