www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:18 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Sandcrabdave wrote:
I use a Fly Patrol jacket, they are about $150 on Amazon. It has great adjustable ventilation which is important down here in sunny Florida, have never used the zip off sleeve feature it has. It doesn't have built in armor which I don't really like since it never sits where you need it when you need it, instead I wear strap on armor under the jacket. I also have the matching pants and I think they were about $100. Both of these items are warm weather gear and not of much use when the temp drops below 40F, but for those 3 days of the year I have leather. The zipper pulls on Fly products just suck, they come off in my hands right when I need them, a small loop of para-cord solves that issue. I am cheap, don't ride super fast thru the bush and live in the humid south so this gear suits my needs for the price, YMMV... :bumps:

Ya I've spent a lot of time in Florida and that is the exact opposite here, you wear warm gear almost always and for about two months you wear mesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:19 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

fotoguzzi wrote:
50 mph get off.. 2 busted ribs (no back protector armor) but no road rash..

What brand and type is that

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Jmracing14 wrote:
What brand and type is that

Aerostich, Roadcrafter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

yep it's my 15YO Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece. .you can get a back protector I just didn't have it. might be the best piece of motorcycle gear I've ever owned. lost it's waterproofness by now .. Armor is replacable and it's a very high tech material that is soft until sudden impact then turns indestructible (TFT I think, check their website)..MADE IN AMERICA! wish I could afford a new one. I'd get HiViz yellow!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

fotoguzzi wrote:
yep it's my 15YO Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece. .you can get a back protector I just didn't have it. might be the best piece of motorcycle gear I've ever owned. lost it's waterproofness by now .. Armor is replacable and it's a very high tech material that is soft until sudden impact then turns indestructible (TFT I think, check their website)..MADE IN AMERICA! wish I could afford a new one. I'd get HiViz yellow!

This is exactly what I am talking about. Quality gear costs up front but on the backside is actually MUCH less expensive as you do not have to replace it ever couple of years.

Fotoguzzi you read on WG about Blaine Paulis who has ridden everyday at least 10 miles for over 16 years. What wasn't in the article is this is a bare minimum and he ride a lot more. He has well over a million miles on BMW's, a couple hundred thousand on Guzzi and a couple hundred thousand on other brands and in the last 15 or 20 years Aerostich has been covering his hide. He has Aerostich with mileage on it that 99% of rider will never see. HE is a great friend of mine and if he trust "stich" so do I.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:57 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yep, I wish I could live in my Aerostich 365 days a year..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpeyNJD9P44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytH5xNOID0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:09 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

PerazziMx14 wrote:

I like the look of the Spidi Airtech Armor Jacket it has a nice look and looks easy to get around in, does anyone have one that could comment on it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Economics 101 - There's the PRICE, and there's the COST. They are NOT the same thing. Learn the difference

It's hard not to sound preachy on this topic, but I think it's kind of like jumping out of an airplane with a quality parachute or bedsheets tied to your back.... The thrill is in the fall (i.e. riding your DR :Roost: ) but the sudden stop at the end is where you want to be sure you have the right stuff.

FWIW, check out last years' models, ebay, old stock at your local dealer, etc. Last fall I bought a Scorpion Yukon jacket & pants ($900 retail) on sale for %50 off at my local Suzuki dealer. Very good quality textiles, and armour. I feel like I'm walking around in a space suit, but I'm pretty sure I've got good stuff if/when I need it.

Another thought that hasn't been mentioned... most insurance policies will replace your gear if damaged in a crash. Again the initial investment is the cheaper option in the long run.