www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:30 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

The DS-X1 helmet is HJC's late autumn 2016 offering for a dual sport helmet (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-ds-x1-helmet).

I previously owned two HJC CL Max-2 modular helmets. The second replaced the first after a lay-down this summer and need to be destroyed and disposed of. The day before Thanksgiving, the chin guard latch on the second decided to break. I purchased both helmets form Revzilla so contacted them about the latch. Suffice it to say kudos to Revzilla; from the phone call mid-morning Wednesday to the time I had my new DS-X1 in hand was a day shy of a week. The Thanksgiving holiday and weekend included!

I began looking for a dual sport style helmet ever since I saw a picture of myself riding the great DR. Wrong helmet, wrong color (wine) on the right bike! On the low side I looked at Bilt's Explorer Discovery helmet (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-exp ... ure-helmet) and on the high side it was Scorpion's EXO-AT950 (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scor ... 950-helmet). However, I was putting the decision off until spring as I could make it through the winter with what I had.

Then the latch broke on my CL Max-2.

The HJC was chosen based on my experience with my two other helmets. Hey - accidents happen and the helmet did it's job as the sacrificial lamb, and well one defect does not a poor helmet make. I certainly recommend a CL Max-2 to anyone looking for a modular at that price point.

A summary of features!

The DS-X1 is a full face dual sport helmet with a off-road style chin guard and view port. Read that to mean good edge-to-edge visibility with some head-dipping to see the speedometer. You can wear the helmet with the face shield and visor. I noticed the center of the visor has sponge rubber where it might contact the shield in its full up position. Shield only for extended highway travel - superb face shield seal. Visor only with googles for warm/ off-road riding. If so disposed, you could wear it no visor or shield with googles. In the same light, yes, you can wear google with the face shield closed! Even in the full forward/downward angle, I have to go looking for the edge of the visor. It simply is not in the field of view.

On the chin guard are three vents, two are always open with the center having a shutter, two shuttered vents on top, and four open exhaust vents on the back of the helmet - if the venting of my CL Max-2's are any indication, this helmet will be quite comfortable in the summer. My riding so far has been with the center front vent open and it is comfortable (temperature 35 to 40 degrees F).

The fit is what I expected from HJC - to the large side. I have a 58cm head diameter which puts me on the large side of medium on most charts. From HJC, I buy a small. Cheeks pads are a bit tight at this point at 30mm thick. Individual cheek pad sets are not available at this point, more on that later. There are pockets behind the pads for speakers. The helmet come with a chin curtain, insertable/removable as you wish. It is open mesh towards the front of the helmet, but I've found it effective.

I find the fit and finish to be excellent, better than you might expect for $170.00.

Pros -

Sub $200.00 price - dual sport cool at a reasonable price!

Nice fit and finish for the price point.

A convertible helmet to fit your changing needs.

Pinlock ready face shield.

Comfortable - just be aware you might want to try a size smaller than usual.

Now, on the other hand, this helmet is NEW! As in, so new the accessories and replacement parts are not available. My advice is to wait until spring or summer to buy this helmet.

I find the DZ-X1 loud, louder than my previous CL Max-2 modulars. I do not find it bothersome or to the point that it is a deal breaker, but it is loud. (NOTE: I do not wear ear plugs because they cause me impacted earwax issues. Trust me - PAINFUL! I've always wore muffs for protection.) In the long run the noise may become an issue. There are my first impressions though . . . wait for the extended ride review.

I did mention the superb seal between the face shield and helmet. Yeah, in the temperatures I've been riding this has caused fogging issues. To such extent on my first ride that I e-mailed both Revzilla and HJC America describing the fogging as dangerous! Shield down, first breath and all vision was obliterated. The shield has three notches. The first is bottom of the shield right across the middle of sight line. There is no "crack" position. The shield is open or it is shut. I have been trying some fog mitigation solutions (topic19401.html).

Which brings me back to my first point, this helmet is new. The pinlock anti-fog insert is not available. HJC America will advise me when it is.

Cons -

The helmet is so new not all of its accessories have made it to market yet - wait to buy.

The helmet is loud.

The seal of the face shield is so good fogging problems occur at slow speeds and cool temperatures.

Overall, I would buy this helmet again. If it wasn't for the warranty issue on my CL Max-2, I would have waited until the spring. I'm not sure the fogging issue will be resolved until the pinlock insert is available. At this point, the noise issue is not enough to make me opt to suffer impacted earwax or return the helmet. My first impression - I like this helmet - in the long run I believe this will a very good purchase.

But wait . . . there's more . . . the extended ride review!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:54 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Location: Greeneville, Tennessee South Easts Black hole of no return....
Interesting.

I'm curious about super cold weather riding.

The noise is some what of an issue for me.

I do use ear plugs or a headset/ear buds.

But still, my current helmet is kinda loud. I think allot of it comes from the fin/visor.

Peg brackets, down and back,
Happy trails SU rack with 40mm ammo cans bolted up,
Headlight guard,
Skunk tool tube,
Shimmed needle, drilled slide, de-snorkled,
Acerbis 5.3,
Acerbis skid plate,
Seat concepts commuter DIY,
SS brake lines,
Anzo LED auxillary lights,
JNS aux light mount,
Bridgestone Trailwings 22/21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:09 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I've found no appreciable difference in noise with or without the visor. The only thing I've really noticed so far with the visor is some drag when turning your head or in a cross wind. No lift issues though up to 55 mph, I haven't gone faster - yet.

Don't know about super cold weather either. My opportunity may come the end of this week or next week. So far my riding has been in the 35 - 40 degree range.