www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

dhilt00 wrote:
I just spoke to the folks at Rekluse. Great folks. They said they get at least 1 request a week for a DR650 clutch. Sounds like they cant ignore the demand and might be going forward with developing one. If anyone is interested in getting one, contact them! The more request they get, the quicker they will produce one!

Requests are one thing, I wonder how many would actually pony up the $$$ for one?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

dhilt00 wrote:
I just spoke to the folks at Rekluse. Great folks. They said they get at least 1 request a week for a DR650 clutch. Sounds like they cant ignore the demand and might be going forward with developing one. If anyone is interested in getting one, contact them! The more request they get, the quicker they will produce one!

Heck, 9 years ago it sounded like they might do one for the DR....

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topi ... the-dr650/

It does seem like there could be a market for it. Some guys spend a cubic yards of dollars on farkles.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
The Rekluse is not as good as it might seem. Plenty of threads on that. It's not at the level of even the cheapo auto clutch in a Honda CT110 IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bob wrote:
The Rekluse is not as good as it might seem. Plenty of threads on that. It's not at the level of even the cheapo auto clutch in a Honda CT110 IMO.

:?:
More explanation?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
adam728 wrote:
Bob wrote:

:?:
More explanation?

Rekluse have several products. The easiest to make (and thus the cheapest) is a very simple centrifugal clutch that will create pressure when the engine reaches a certain RPM. The problem is that it has no mechanism to disengage or slip above that speed, thus you need to retain and use (the now much heavier) clutch lever to change gears. The alternate is to simply clutchless shift, which you can already do with a standard bike. However that requires some precision to avoid clunky shifts.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I suppose, yes, you don't have the gear shift mechanism to automatically disengage the clutch when shifting. I've not had an issue on any bike I've ridden with one though. Even ran an original Z-Start in my YZ250 for 3 years. Was installed by the previous owner and was a definite advantage ridding very technical stuff out west, and when wiped out and hardly able to pull the clutch in harescrambles. What was nice is that you could play with engagement rpm, and how much slip you had after engagement until full lock up. I liked mine best as basically an anti-stall device: low low low engagement rpm, and full lock up as soon as possible. When I wasn't racing anymore and we moved where trails are a lot less technical I went back to the stock clutch. Another advantage? I had 150+ hours on the plates in that clutch, plus the previous owner's time.

My buddy has one of the newer Rekluses in a bike he just picked up. The manual over-ride is effortless even with the tiny lever it's using (has a left-hand rear brake setup).

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:51 am 

Only just fitted a "Barnett clutch". It's great, however because of the additional pull required to overcome the stiffer clutch plate springs, I have found that the clutch cable tends to stretch a little more. With the extra stretch, it is difficult to set the clutch up so that you have enough free-play at one end and still be able to disengage enough at the other end so that at the lights you can find neutral. Maybe a heavy duty "bowden cable" would solve the problem, if it was available.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:11 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bad_habits wrote:
Only just fitted a "Barnett clutch". It's great, however because of the additional pull required to overcome the stiffer clutch plate springs, I have found that the clutch cable tends to stretch a little more. With the extra stretch, it is difficult to set the clutch up so that you have enough free-play at one end and still be able to disengage enough at the other end so that at the lights you can find neutral. Maybe a heavy duty "bowden cable" would solve the problem, if it was available.

A standard cable should be fine. And a cable should not "stretch". The length of the cable with 1 lb of pull vs 100 lbs of pull is probably within hundredths of an inch of length. I would guess that the arm on the clutch shaft wasn't put on in the same orientation, and you are not getting as much rotation of the shaft with the lever travel. Found a pic for reference. The relocation noted is for a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. I would think this is most likely if it were working fine and simply changing plates/springs started the issue.

If your clutch cable is really "stretching" that much when pulled then it must be damaged/fraying. I'd take a careful look at both ends.

Another possibility is this:
topic6671-10.html

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:54 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Just an update. I received the moose racing EZ Pull levers. Horrible results. Complete waste of $40 and an hour of my time.