www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:29 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I ran the Ballards easy pull on my DR and other bikes. Supposed to reduce the pull about 30%. Currently on a TTR 125 for the wifey.

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

That works on a DR? It will reduce throw (or travel if you prefer) by the same 30%... I wonder if that leaves enough for the clutch free up completely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
That works on a DR? It will reduce throw (or travel if you prefer) by the same 30%... I wonder if that leaves enough for the clutch free up completely.

Ran it for two years, no problem!

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:48 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I recently had a serious injury and cant budge the clutch on my DR. I just ordered the Moose Racing EZ Pull levers. I will give my thoughts once they arrive. One question to those that might have tried a similar product, what did you do about your mirror?? The perches on these units don't have the 10mm socket for the mirrors.

Thx

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You can buy separate mirror perches.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
dhilt00 wrote:
One question to those that might have tried a similar product, what did you do about your mirror??
Thx

Ebay. I bought a pair of mirror mounts that said they were suitable for 'dual sport conversions'.

Back on the topic of making the clutch lighter, I've been thinking of a new approach i might try on my drz (though would work equally well in theory on a DR) using Barnett clutch friction discs. As the Barnett friction discs are Kevlar based, they will have a greater coefficient of friction and the stock discs which i'm guessing will be cheapo rubber impregnated cork.
Some math says that for a given torque transmitted through the clutch, the relationship between disc friction and spring pressure will be inverse. In other words if you increase the coefficient of friction, you must reduce the spring pressure to maintain the same torque transfer.

If anyone else has tried this I'll be really interested in the results.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The only way to truly lighten the clutch pull is get lighter springs for the clutch pack. This all comes at the risk of the clutch slipping. I understand the fellow with an injury having an issue but the rest of you nannies need to man up and deal with the generally very light pull of the DR650 clutch.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:27 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
PerazziMx14 wrote:
I understand the fellow with an injury having an issue but the rest of you nannies need to man up and deal with the generally very light pull of the DR650 clutch.

I choose to deal with it by making it lighter, more like a real dirt bike ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:47 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bob wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:
I understand the fellow with an injury having an issue but the rest of you nannies need to man up and deal with the generally very light pull of the DR650 clutch.

I choose to deal with it by making it lighter, more like a real dirt bike ;)

Unless you are changing the springs to a lighter spring you are not "lightening" the amount of force that needs to be applied to the pressure plate to actuate the clutch pack. Longer and/or different angled levers give mechanical advantage but in the end a spring rated at 8lbs (arbitrary number) will take 8 lbs of pressure/force to compress it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:09 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

To change force at the clutch, yes, lighter springs are needed. But to change pull at the lever, a leverage change can make a difference.

Looks like it's no longer available, but I had a MSR Raptor clutch on my last bike (from previous owner). 3 positions for the cable barrel, and the cable housing holder would pivot to align with whichever hole you were using. Probably too much difference from one location to the next though. If I remember correctly all the way inboard meant super light clutch pull, but took most the travel to disengage (wouldn't disengage wen pulled with 1 or 2 fingers to the back of remaining fingers on the bar). Middle location felt "normal". Outer location seemed doable on the stand, but was a killer after 10 minutes on the trail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next