www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

for those that keep a set of knobbies as well as motard rims- is it worth it?
I've never ridden a motard & it's not something you can try before buying either.
I'm lusting after a 3rd bike but can't pull the trigger until late next year - and with a third bike comes extra expenses: rego, mods, more mods etc.
I like wrenching so swapping wheels over to suit riding wouldn't bother me - it's just a considerable drop of coin (rims, tyres, maybe a trailtech, extra sprocket etc) and I have no experience with it.
Are motard wheels a "f---ing love it" buy or a "yeah good to have"?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

If you're riding primarily street, then yes, very much worth it.
One caveat though; be careful of the final pitch of the chassis. With the axle mounted ahead of the forks, you can very quickly get into an area of too little trail.
I lowered both the front and rear of the bike, but the front end has a tendency to oversteer at speed and sometimes tuck in low speed corners. Whenever I feel like it, I'm going to restore the front end to its stock height.
But yes, again, a set of supermoto wheels and tires make this bike a fantastic street bike.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:39 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

When I had one DR I bought a second set of wheels so I could have one set for street and one set for dirt. After installing a new set of 50/50 tires I swapped out my street wheels for dirt. After 20 minutes I was completed. I stood back and though to hell with this. Went inside got on CL and found another DR about 90 miles away for a decent price. Called the seller and asked if I could come and see it later in the day to which he replied yes. I went back into the garage swapped out the dirt wheels or the street wheels rode 90 miles and bought a second DR.

I live 5 minuted from about 150 miles of fire roads Its not uncommon to ride both street and dirt the same day. I figured if I had to spend 20 minutes every time I wanted to switch discipline I'd never do it. So another bike was in order.

The DR is a fun bike with 100% street tires. While I kept the stock 21" and 17" wheel diameters it was hoot and loved to ride tight twisty roads with them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:10 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I run a 19"x 2.5" front and it turns in about perfect for me in road corners, very neutral. I also run a 4.25" x 17" rear that is solid and stable in corners, and accelerating out of corners. With 50/50 tires I can lean over just as far as I dare with this setup, and they are fine for putting around off road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:40 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I put the same wheel and tire combo on my wife's YZ125. They work pretty well for SoCal desert riding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

molochnik wrote:
If you're riding primarily street, then yes, very much worth it.
One caveat though; be careful of the final pitch of the chassis. With the axle mounted ahead of the forks, you can very quickly get into an area of too little trail..

Yp, with so little trail left, roundabouts in the wet are dangerous, too easy to oversteer. If you're in a hurry, sumo wheels are perfect. When you're not they are kind of a liability, and can lead to weaving and headshakes.

I liked sumo wheels when I was in hooligan mode, hated them for relaxed riding, going with the traffic flow. I personally believe 19" is the better option for day to day use.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:39 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I will say that I used adjustable dogbones to get the chassis level after going to the 19" front. If I recall I had to drop the back end 1/2" to 1". Can't remember for sure now. Great handling bike though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:02 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

On my DRZ400 it was like having two different bikes. Totally worth it. Have not done it on the DR but seems like it would be comparable.

14 Versys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:00 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

LOVE my supermoto setup! Handles like a dream and turns in much quicker. Took a little bit to get used to though.

Attachments:
DR2.jpg
DR2.jpg [ 514.72 KiB | Viewed 663 times ]

Last edited by Mattbowdeen on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

B2LL2F wrote:
Are motard wheels a "f---ing love it" buy or a "yeah good to have"?

I know a guy who has a set of motard wheels for his DR. He doesn't use them that often - but he steadfastly refuses to part with them, even for very good money. Seems to me that when he gets the urge to run the Gorge, they are well worth having in his eyes.

EricHa - what are those tyres, and what size are they? They do look a very good 50/50 set-up to me.