www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:30 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

...rake and trail on my bike is hardly extreme...

The rake might be quite generous but if you do the measurements you will find that the trail is in the 60-75mm range.
That is pretty extreme and goes a long way to explaining the quick steering in spite of having much more rake than a sport bike.

The short rake makes the typical motard handle skittishly when leaned WAY over like you can with a good sportbike. The front end tends to tuck from lack of trail. This is one reason you see the the supermoto racers backing the bikes into the corners instead of just leaning way over and dragging their knee.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:51 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

ProCycle wrote:
Quote:
...rake and trail on my bike is hardly extreme...

The rake might be quite generous but if you do the measurements you will find that the trail is in the 60-75mm range.
That is pretty extreme and goes a long way to explaining the quick steering in spite of having much more rake than a sport bike.

The short rake makes the typical motard handle skittishly when leaned WAY over like you can with a good sportbike. The front end tends to tuck from lack of trail. This is one reason you see the the supermoto racers backing the bikes into the corners instead of just leaning way over and dragging their knee.

Great answer, thanks!
I'll get around measuring trail on my bike one of these days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Procycle do many people go for the Motard speedo drive or just swap to a Trail tech?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

While we're at it... ProCycle, I know the answer is no because I check your website regularly daydreaming about purchasing ProCycle SM/ADV wheels, but do you ever have any type of sale or special on these wheels, or a group buy, or anything that would tip me (and hopefully many others) over the edge to purchase? You can check your email... I inquired about tire options for ADV wheels last winter 2/28/16. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Procycle do many people go for the Motard speedo drive or just swap to a Trail tech?

Folks go either way. Probably a few more opt for the Trail Tech solution which can be calibrated to be more accurate and has additional features. The speedo drive is simpler to install.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

While we're at it... ProCycle, I know the answer is no because I check your website regularly daydreaming about purchasing ProCycle SM/ADV wheels, but do you ever have any type of sale or special on these wheels, or a group buy, or anything that would tip me (and hopefully many others) over the edge to purchase? You can check your email... I inquired about tire options for ADV wheels last winter 2/28/16. :biggrin:
Well, actually the wheel sets are already deeply discounted over the price of buying hubs, rims, spokes and lacing separately. We also offer a discount on tire sets and if purchased at the same time as the wheels will mount, balance and include tubes at no additional cost. We do not have enough margin in the price of complete wheel sets to be able to put them on sale. Likewise, a group buy would take LOTS of buyers to make it pencil out. Also, every wheel build is different. Choices of rim size and brand, hub choices, tires... all affect the end price. Too complicated to offer a group buy that anybody could make sense out of.

Here's a tip. We just got new 2017 pricing from our rim and spoke supplier so prices are going to go up just as soon as we can make time to edit the web site, shopping cart and inventory management system. You'll get the best price by buying sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excel-Suzuki-Dr650-Supermoto-Wheels-/122350603538?hash=item1c7caa0d12:g:FL4AAOSwTuJYnjz9&vxp=mtr

I don't know who the seller is but I see the ProCycle decal on the rim so I know it's a set we built.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

B2LL2F wrote:
for those that keep a set of knobbies as well as motard rims- is it worth it?
I've never ridden a motard & it's not something you can try before buying either.
I'm lusting after a 3rd bike but can't pull the trigger until late next year - and with a third bike comes extra expenses: rego, mods, more mods etc.
I like wrenching so swapping wheels over to suit riding wouldn't bother me - it's just a considerable drop of coin (rims, tyres, maybe a trailtech, extra sprocket etc) and I have no experience with it.
Are motard wheels a "f---ing love it" buy or a "yeah good to have"?

I LOVE my motard setup, so much so that my dirt tires haven't been on in 6 months. :scratch: I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it

Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:35 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I know nothing about motard!

Have considered streetising my DR.
1. Does anyone use an 18" rear/19" front combo?
2. Are there any direct replacement wheels from another model?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Were I wanting to spend as little money as possible but have my boat totally floated. . . it would be the change to a 19" front from a 21". . Stocker rear. A whole new world of road grip tyres in a 19" . . and in a moment you can put on a dirty tyre to do anything a DR would normally venture into. . .or anything in between. If I dinged up my 17" front tomorrow, I'd be lacing up a 19" to replace and be ok. A 110/.../19 would be nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next