www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

wotavidone wrote:
B2LL2F wrote:
Are motard wheels a "f---ing love it" buy or a "yeah good to have"?

I know a guy who has a set of motard wheels for his DR. He doesn't use them that often - but he steadfastly refuses to part with them, even for very good money. Seems to me that when he gets the urge to run the Gorge, they are well worth having in his eyes

That will probably end up being me.

My DR is already lowered factory style and I've upgraded the suspension front and back so I'd hope the setup would still suit motard wheels.

My 2nd bike is a lardy Vstar 1100 cruiser hand me down from my dad, and previously I've feasted on sports and naked bikes - most recent being a Speed Triple 1050 so I don't think i would mind getting used to the 17 inch wheels. I've found these days I care a lot lesss about power and more about lightweight & suspension (started doing it with my Triple) so the idea of a 160kg road bike makes me excited- even if it's a 650cc single. Despite what the brochures say most road bikes are 200kg+ (Vstar is probably closer to 300kg)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:14 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Motard wheels.
Thoughts for while you wait.
Don't push too hard on the DR.

I've put street tyres on my DR before.
I found when pushing really hard, (boots are scraping) leant right over on the gas, the 21 front lets go before the rear.
It's not enjoyable, when you need both tyres to stick.
I had a few brown trouser moments early on with the DR.
It is a 21 after all. Maybe a 19 could work.

The rear can come out predictably and if you need it to.
I've found a full tank helps balance a touch, and with a load is worse.

Sounds like you'll have fun regardless though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:01 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

wotavidone wrote:
B2LL2F wrote:
Are motard wheels a "f---ing love it" buy or a "yeah good to have"?

EricHa - what are those tyres, and what size are they? They do look a very good 50/50 set-up to me.

The tires are Shinko 804/805's. They are decent off road, and handle great on the pavement. The rear is wearing quickly, but that is only due to the 790 build and my inability to stay out of the throttle. :Roost:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:03 am 

With the extra expense of a motard setup wouldn't it make more since to buy a street bike like a Suzuki sv650 which can be had for a couple grand and keep your dirt setup on the Dr650?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Since when do motorcycles make sense? :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:33 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

stringerz wrote:
With the extra expense of a motard setup wouldn't it make more since to buy a street bike like a Suzuki sv650 which can be had for a couple grand and keep your dirt setup on the Dr650?

Nah - motards and street bikes just aren't the same thing. Ideal is to get two DRs and have one setup for dirt and one 'traded.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:07 pm 

There is nothing more nimble than a motard. If you are into conquering the road and hitting the perfect lines, it is hard to think of a machine better than a supermoto. Plus, the DR makes nice torque that just chugs you out of corners and if you are a good rider, can leave wonder-liters in the dust on technical roads. If you want a challenge, ride on fireroads and slightly more technical roads with the street tires! It is fun and usually works as long as you keep enough speed. Very few things more fun than a supermoto! This year I rode through the western states on a trip to Pikes Peak and beyond and sometimes I had something less twitchy, but once I hit the fun roads, it was all worth it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Sjambok wrote:
There is nothing more nimble than a motard. If you are into conquering the road and hitting the perfect lines, it is hard to think of a machine better than a supermoto. Plus, the DR makes nice torque that just chugs you out of corners and if you are a good rider, can leave wonder-liters in the dust on technical roads. If you want a challenge, ride on fireroads and slightly more technical roads with the street tires! It is fun and usually works as long as you keep enough speed. Very few things more fun than a supermoto! This year I rode through the western states on a trip to Pikes Peak and beyond and sometimes I had something less twitchy, but once I hit the fun roads, it was all worth it!

This is very true. I once took my KTM 525 SMR to the Streets of Willow for a track day. While I have racing experience, I thought that with the single I ought to just enter the intermediate class. I got kicked out of it and put in the expert class because I "passed every bike out there".
This isn't an attempt at a humble-brag, it is more to illustrate that even on a crowded racetrack, you simply pick any line you please. Even in the expert class, I simply rode around whatever bike was in my way through the twistier parts. On the straight, however, a well known performance tuner made sure to pass me with as much speed in hand as his liter bike could muster.
I also had a YZ250 (smoker) set up for motard, and rode it at Buttonwillow. The track is fairly long-legged for a supermoto, but I could run with the 250 GP bikes and often get past them in a corner, mostly because I never really had to commit to a particular line if they got in my way.
Although the DR is heavier, I'd expect a similar experience. In the twistier parts of the Angeles Crest, proper sportbikes aren't much of an issue. I'm running Bridgestone Evos and they have shown themselves to be very sticky and stable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:52 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I managed to nab a pair of second hand motard rims yesterday- Excel brand with Michelin tyres and standard size front disc. They don't come up for sale often where I live so glad to get a pair.
I'm not rushing to put them on coz I'm missing a bolt from the front disc where the PO had his trailtech magnet.
Only thing I need to decide is what do with the speedo - go to a trail tech or keep stock speedo & get the speedo drive for a 17 inch wheel. What does everyone go for?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

molochnik wrote:
This is very true. I once took my KTM 525 SMR to the Streets of Willow for a track day. While I have racing experience, I thought that with the single I ought to just enter the intermediate class. I got kicked out of it and put in the expert class because I "passed every bike out there".
This isn't an attempt at a humble-brag, it is more to illustrate that even on a crowded racetrack, you simply pick any line you please. Even in the expert class, I simply rode around whatever bike was in my way through the twistier parts. On the straight, however, a well known performance tuner made sure to pass me with as much speed in hand as his liter bike could muster.

My experience is similar, but I'm curious to know what it is that makes a supermoto so agile? I mean, it is somewhat sensitive at higher speeds, so it might just come down to basic geometry, but on the other hand, rake and trail on my bike is hardly extreme (27° rake is down right pedestrian compared to many sports bikes). On motogp bikes, it's all about mass centralisation, but a supermoto has the weight kind of high up, comparably. Some say that helps since it's easier to tip the bike into corners, but on the other hand, it should then be heavier to pick up, which is not case.

Any chassis experts who could weigh in?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next