www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:05 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:49 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I enjoyed your travels very much.I think I will plan a trip like that next year to the same places.I was in Death Valley on my way to SA a couple of years ago and knew I would come back to do some exploreing.Thanks for relighting the fire and the memories.I love the desert.
It quit snowing here now,left a foot or so.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:07 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

+1 Awesome! Thanks for taking the time out of your trip to take pics and post for us all to drool over. :clapping:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Excellent ride report with beautiful scenic photos, thanks for sharing, and super that you even had the weather on your side. :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:57 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I've got to give a big thanks to my wife, she never stops me from doing things like this. She knows how important some things can be, even during the holidays. Loves 2U Honey.

Also got to thank Mr. ProPsycho himself. He got me started on this whole "Adventure Riding" thing a few years back and we've had some great trips, cheers mate.

I feel really lucky to have not had a SINGLE mechanical problem. Even a fixable problem like a flat tire or broken chain would have been very dangerous considering the night temperatures and distances to walk out. My DR has over 32,000 miles on it and still is completely reliable.
That said, I spent a lot of time triple checking the bike before, during and after every day. Whenever I stopped I kept the motor running or parked on top of a hill. I tried to stay clear of big, sharp rocks but that's pretty hard to do here!
Even though I was grinning from ear to ear, I kept myself aware of my situation and rode at 90% instead of 100%. I also drank two liters of water every day while riding.
The late starts due to cold temps forced me to cut a few sections out but I really don't think I shorted myself on the experience.
Speaking of cold temps, the heated vest and grip heaters were essential. I also used those charcoal activated toe warmers sandwiched between my thin socks and the outer gortex sox. My feet never got cold! In the mornings, my visor would fog up when I breathed hard so at slower speeds I flipped it up. That resulted in a nasty face-slap from a creosote bush in Eureka Valley.
The Tractionator tires are great. Aggressive tread, stiff sidewall and long wear. Here's a pic when I parked it in Tonopah.

Even the day before I left I had big doubts about the weather and the sanity of doing a solo tour on a motorbike in Death Valley. Now I don't have any doubts about it at all! Funny how things work out....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

" Face slapped " ! :sarcastic: ..........wait a minute........in cold weather? Owwch ! :OMG:

Good tips/advice/reminder on riding in cold and or solo conditions ! :2_thumbsup:

More samplers ? Victory round on the house . :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Thx Plonker, the ride home was very arduous, had to chain up 2 miles out of Susanville and then go 100 miles in snowpack. All good in the end, Got home before dark.
I'll remember this trip for a long time, and I'm grateful for that. I might even say Thanks for Giving me this opportunity. Corny but true.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:23 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Whoa, glad I tuned in to see this- absolutely delightful! Thanks for freezing your hiney off for our enjoyment, EndoQuest :s_biggrin

My bike got a little break for the trickle charger last week with a 15 minute run at 80 MPH in third gear to kind of blow the boogers out, but I think it would have liked your bike`s run better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 pm 

Thanks for the write up! I've been through Death Valley a few times on an old XR. I'm looking forward to going again and you've just helped with the route!