www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:56 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The mission: Decide where to spend next summer.

Us: We are retired, sold our home, and travel around in our RV with a DR650, a Honda trail 110, and two Chihuahuas.

How we roll: We take either part time jobs or do volunteer work in exchange for an RV site. Work 2-3 days a week then play the rest. Stay a month or two, then move on.

We love moderate trails, forest roads, two track trails in remote areas. Typically if it starts with FR we want to go see it. We aren't youngsters, so the super steep, windy single track isn't our thing anymore. Don't like really hot, won't ride below 45 degrees F. Don't sleep on the ground anymore.

I am totally psyched about going to the San Rafael Swell in Utah next April. Been to Moab, White Rim Trail in a day was challenging.

So I am looking for suggestions of places that are moderate day rides in mild conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If coming to PA, the forest roads of the Allegheny National Forest and the forest roads and pipelines all along PA 144 between I 80 (Snowshoe) and PA 120 (Renovo).

If heading north, more roads between PA 120 and US 6 (Galeton) along PA 144 as well...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

d2reid wrote:
Us: We are retired, sold our home, and travel around in our RV with a DR650, a Honda trail 110, and two Chihuahuas.
Mmmm.. sounds nice : )
Puget Sound is lovely in the summer. I haven`t ridden a moto around there, but plenty of mellow dirt shows up in ride reports and I know for sure that it`s a paradise for bicycle touring- the ferry system is a blast! Tried to get me hooked on sea kayaking last time we went.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The Black Hills in western South Dakota are great, lots of good trails, nice scenery, several good wineries, fishing, etc. We go over once or twice a year to Rushmore KOA just about 4 miles from Mount Rushmore. I know they get a lot of seasonal help so that's one place to check. There's literally hundreds of campgrounds in the Black Hills so there's bound to be one that would love to have you on board.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

North Shore of Lake Superior! base out of Grand Marais MN (great campground/RV site on the shore).. wilderness galore to explore on dirt and paved roads. Canada just up the hwy..
It's the Greatest Great lake..

videos I made in the area,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnfvLoVa6TE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAgGqJdYdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_H5yapnBrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMQ9LdqzUzI
my best video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFeuPWgDB9k

Last edited by fotoguzzi on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Here is a tentative rundown of our plans>

April – Durango, SD, Idaho
May – Deception Pass
June – Squamish, Yosemite, Utah
July – Squamish, Yosemite, Utah
August – Colorado and Eleven Mile Canyon
September – Colorado and Eleven Mile Canyon
October – TN
November – TX – Big Bend
December – Vegas, Joshua Tree, Tahoe
January – Park City
February – Whistler Blackcomb

obviously there is a lot of discrepancies in this plan. How can we be in British Columbia, Yosemite CA and Utah at the same time. Ok, it's an open plan. We "plan" on being somewhere near there during that time.

Thanks for the info on SD. We spent 2 months there rock climbing and motorcycle riding while working part time at the Mount Rushmore Book Store. Beautiful place, lots of really good road riding. Very happy memories.

We keep missing MN and the upper peninsula of Michigan. Just having too much fun in the Rockies. Glad to see someone else is mixing a Honda Trail with a DR 650. Pretty much and odd couple, but really works for us too. Momma likes her little Honda Trail, and puts up with riding tandem with me when we need to go fast. Thanks for sharing the pictures. The videos are really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Here is my best video, watch Bob at 2:44. The old rascal got back on board and road another 70 miles in some really nasty stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3I3ofoCTeA&t=304s

Dallas

Last edited by d2reid on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

oops, late to the party.. maybe you come here next summer..