www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:07 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

tyler from eveRide posed some of the deep questions about life, the universe and everything.... within an adventure riding context of course. :)

#AdventureThoughts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:59 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

:drinks: :s_cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:08 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

:s_biggrin Ahh what can i say 100% agree, an adventure ride can be as long orrrrrrrr short as you like,
after all it is your adventure. :Roost:
There is no bragging rights in x amount om kms in 1 day and at the end what did you stop to see.
The adventure is to start it in the first place not where you end up.

Keep the vids coming i find every ones an adventure :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:10 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I used to try to plan adventure rides. Now I just plan rides. Sometimes adventure happens, sometimes it's just a ride. It's all good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yet another thoughtful video from DR. G. :drinks:
I'm amazed to see even knarlier trails in above vid featuring the DR650. I could never ride most of that stuff on my DR. Yes, I'm another "older" Adventure rider, former AMA Enduro racer.

Much of the friction and controversy surrounding some of the questions posed has to do with BRAND. Seems the Adventure class is divided up into segments. These segments separate riders in several ways. ONE: economically. Many can't afford a $25,000 BMW GS or KTM 1290. As mentioned, some go adventuring on a Postie bike or 125 Chinese Moto. Do you think the Postie guys can relate to the BMW GS guys? :s_wink

Another point of separation is intention. Where and how does one intend to ride? There is a large segment of so called ADV Riders who equate ADV riding with RACING. The KTM Orange Underpants crowd figure strongly here. Many of these guys have an elitist attitude and look down upon NON race Dual sport bikes and their riders as hopeless chumps riding outdated equipment. "How could they possibly have any fun on such a BORING bike like a KLR or DR650?" :s_laughat But thing is, the DR and KLR crowd don't need a pick up truck to get to
their riding area. :lol:

Yet another element is the dedicated and perpetual RTW crowd vs. everyone else. Must say however, most true RTW riders could care less about racing or posing. These guys are on a perpetual never ending trip and live in a different world to most of us.
A sub group here are the guys who do a quick whirlwind tour on their $25K BMW in a few months ... and are now EXPERTS in all things
motorcycle travel. :s_laughat Dozens of these types in ADV RIDER ride reports. So different styles of travel and adventure everywhere.

The Aussies mostly stay on their continent as it's so HUGE ... and is expensive to leave and return. Euro folk, Canadians and Americans tend to make the longer runs into other continents, crossing dozens of borders in the process.

To me, real Adventure riding means long distance travel. Doing a weekend "adventure ride" to me is simply a weekend enduro ride. The mind set for a longer trip is totally different with a thousands other things to prepare for. To me, that's true adventure. Riding around in your own country, maybe even your own state or back yard is a safe bet. Sure, great riding, fabulous landscapes ... but no real unknowns or dangers. Once you cross that border, everything changes. Language. Road rules. Culture. Predictability goes out the window.
THAT is Adventure. :Roost: