www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:47 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Decided to add a AE Motosport dash but opted to upgrade the existing power sockets for more specific uses.

Nice piece of kit. Well thought out for fitment and design. Good fit and finish. Instructions are sparse but do get the point across. I did check with another (Tall Guy from ADV Rider Forum, thanks!) who had already installed one to confirm what I thought was correct regarding the wiring. I also took his recommendation to change out the sockets since the ones provided gave a less than positive connection. I also liked the idea of having a dedicated USB port (dual lighted in this case) and a Powerlet Socket which will give a more secure connection. Both were a direct swap for the cigarette lighter type sockets.

The manufacturer's idea (and wiring harness) is to use one of the switches to power both sockets leaving the other switch up to the end users decision. I decided to follow along with this plan and utilize the open/unused power tap which lives behind the headlight cowl (Brown and Black/White I believe). The supplied harness is long enough and easy to attach with rings for the battery and ground and blade connectors for the dash.

The blade connectors are a tight fit and I ended up pulling a wire from the connector when I needed to remove one, so in hindsight, I would have gone through and soldered each connection before installing since they were only crimped. I did add dielectric grease to all connectors in an effort to battle moisture and corrosion.

One thing I can see as a future challenge will be if I have to change any of the dash light bulbs....(which I decided to change to LEDs about a week after installing the dash). The small light panel is held into the dash with two screws from underneath. Mounted leaves very little room under there for a tool but I haven't actually tried yet. I have a DDC/Spring install on the list of winter time upgrades so I will see if having the forks removed makes access any easier. If not, then off come the bars and dash to install 3 LEDs and a diode kit.

With regard to the dash install, I will advise that if you have non stock bar risers, be sure to measure the bolt diameter. I believe the holes to mount the dash are drilled only large enough for the stock risers/bolts as my Protaper riser bolts did not fit. I had to enlarge the holes only slightly but it was still a pain as I didn't find out until it was all wired up. Once I enlarged the holes, it was an easy fit and it sandwiched right under the risers and everything bolted up nicely.

All in all, I am very happy with the product and enjoy the extra power options it gives. Solid and hearty and I imagine it will give years of service.

Edit: The pic with the dash top has the bracket for my Madstad windscreen in the foreground. That's not part of the dash. Also, my Japanese Happy Cat is not one of the switches....it's just hanging directly in front of it at that picture angle.

Attachments:
AE Dash upgraded sockets.jpg
AE Dash upgraded sockets.jpg [ 111.46 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
AE Dash top.jpg
AE Dash top.jpg [ 98.59 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
AE Dash underneath.jpg
AE Dash underneath.jpg [ 79.88 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:21 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Location: Greeneville, Tennessee South Easts Black hole of no return....
Nicely done.

I have a couple questions..

How difficult is it to access your key...

And how thick is the dash material.

Great write up. Thanks for the info.

:drinks:
Chris

Peg brackets, down and back,
Happy trails SU rack with 40mm ammo cans bolted up,
Headlight guard,
Skunk tool tube,
Shimmed needle, drilled slide, de-snorkled,
Acerbis 5.3,
Acerbis skid plate,
Seat concepts commuter DIY,
SS brake lines,
Anzo LED auxillary lights,
JNS aux light mount,
Bridgestone Trailwings 22/21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:31 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks Chris.

It doesn't really hamper access to the key although I only have one key so maybe if a person had 3 or 4 keys on a ring it might get tight.

It is .083" or about a hair over 2mm thick.

Cheers,

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:11 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Location: Greeneville, Tennessee South Easts Black hole of no return....
It didn't look as if you have bar risers. Just taper high rise I assume?

I've got two inch risers that I think the mounting location for this dash would reveal difficulty accessing the key.

I only keep the scooter key, tool tube key, and the little wedge device for my helmet visor on the key chain.

But I've got big hands and visually, it looks as if it'd be cumbersome with risers...

Peg brackets, down and back,
Happy trails SU rack with 40mm ammo cans bolted up,
Headlight guard,
Skunk tool tube,
Shimmed needle, drilled slide, de-snorkled,
Acerbis 5.3,
Acerbis skid plate,
Seat concepts commuter DIY,
SS brake lines,
Anzo LED auxillary lights,
JNS aux light mount,
Bridgestone Trailwings 22/21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's a nice kit and I had one to install on my current DR. I had to send it back as it covers most of the top of the right fork. I have the Cogent adjustable preload caps and it won't fit with those.

Appreciate the post.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:41 pm 

Nice work - is that the stock idiot light cluster? On my '07 I had to cut it (the light cluster) away from the ignition housing. If you had to also on your '09, how did you get a smooth edge where you cut them apart?

Are those Big Boy Woodpants? I think I am going to have fun with that one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:11 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

In an effort to keep this on topic of product review, I will follow up with the remaining questions via PM so we don't get too far off course.

Brian