www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:53 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a new Motovan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:18 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Well after 268,000 miles im retiring my old sprinter Motovan, its still running very well but i need more space. my old sprinter is the 140 wheel base with the regular roof and it was just not quite long or tall enough. So i bought a full size sprinter bus from Holiday tours with 160,000 miles. it was listed on craigslist for $7k but had a problem with no hot starting, one test drive and i knew exactly what what was wrong with it. so i quickly gave the owner a run down on spinter vans, took a couple things apart, expained to him what was wrong with it and what it would cost him to fix it. after that i quickly talked him down to $3750, forked over the cash and off it went with a big grin on my face :biggrin: .

well here she is

equipped with electric Bus doors and roof top AC.

so onto the fix for the hot start issue. a 2.7 Mercedes diesel must hold 3000 psi rail pressure to tell the injectors to fire, if they are leaking they cannot maintain pressure. so why did it start when it was cold? just like oil diesel thins when it gets hot and seeps through the injector. on scan with a proper Mercedes scan tool one could quickly see 1800 PSI rail pressure, and one test with the proper Mercedes injector leak off viles showed one significantly worn injector.

so one injector, and two glow plugs(unrelated issue), fresh fluids, and $1210 later and she is fixed running like a dream for a grand total of $4960 in purchase, parts, and labor couldn't be happier.

if you have a sprinter and need a trusty mechanic there is a sprinter van expert in Clemson, SC who specializes in working with the owner on their van to fix the issues and he has people come from California to service there vans....he is the best, this guy had my van starting like new in a hour and a half. He goes by Doktor A, google doktor A sprinter specalist look him up

ill post pics of the interior once its finished, when i bought it it was wide open inside with no seats or partition wall. so far ive got a partition built, carpet and padding on the floor and partition, next comes the seats, bunk beds, and bike mounts

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:58 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

:lurk:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:59 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Fantastic!
Thanks for the engine info.
I doubt I will ever have a Sprinter but I enjoy learning of common problems.

Looking forward to the custom interior layout :2_thumbsup:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Sprinter vans 2002-2006 are very misunderstood vehicles, there are some common issues which people make huge deals out of, but at the end of the day if you have any mechanical knowledge and can operate the search function on google they are easily fixable and when properly maintained it will run for a million miles plus. on the flip side of that, with out proper maintenance its the worst vehicle you will every own. the 2007's and up are littered with emissions and they have a whole slue of problems im not willing to deal with.

im still pondering on the interior layout. i cannot decide on bunk beds running length wise with seats parallel to them, or seats across the width of the van in front of the bunk beds. i have to build the bunk beds from scratch, but i have already bought the seats. the rear seats cam out of a flipped over Dodge Church bus/van thing at DH Griffin's scrap yard for $20 each and look new and i bought seats to replace the god awful front seats in the front. now these front seat i scored big time on, i was shocked to see these in a scrap yard. literally rite as i was leaving i caught out of the corner of my eye a SVT for Focus, which is equipped with Factory Recaro heated leather bolstered seat.....SCORE!!! i about came out of my skin when i opened the door and saw two mind seats in the front of that thing. here is what they look like

http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/attachmen ... 1393381628

beat to crap and stained they go on ebay for $250ea, i scored these for $60ea :yahoo: and they are nearly perfect

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:11 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Wow! Those seats are nice!!! You stole them for $60 a pop. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:26 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

That's cool Brandon! I can just see you showing up at the races, doors opening and the guys getting out. The door is kinda funny. Nice van!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:52 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

well i got some bunks built. twentysixer built some mighty fine bunks

since they are custom built to fit inside the sprinter a normal mattress will not fit, so i had to buy a 4inch this king size memory foam mattress topper ( for $150 :s_mad ) and cut it down into two bed. luckily they turned out very comfortable.

this weekend its off to the races!

and now that i have put some miles on it, with some new slightly oversized tires i would like to proudly report a consistent 24 mpg highway at 70 mph with two bikes, gear, beds, and 3 people. :s_cool

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:18 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

crash wrote:
Sprinter vans 2002-2006 are very misunderstood vehicles, there are some common issues which people make huge deals out of, but at the end of the day if you have any mechanical knowledge and can operate the search function on google they are easily fixable and when properly maintained it will run for a million miles plus...
Sounds like the DR. :s_cool And Congrats on the sweet van! :BevButt:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

thanks!

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:53 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

A Sprinter conversion is on the wish list for me someday. Can't think of a better platform to start with. I want to design an escape pod for boon dock style camping(solar etc). How do you like the bus door? I am guessing a passenger model will already be insulated?

Dirtracks
Pelican cases
JNS low peg brackets
Motorcross Pegs
Manual tubes x 2
Hideneau Scouts
Chopped Fender
Rattle can flat black paint