www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:03 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:36 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

NOTE- Check Tire size chart below and PM or reply to this thread if you have verified new tire size information to add.

FOR MASTER OR ODOMETER RESET INSTRUCTIONS: Skip to bottom of programming stage (credit to Todd157k for passing this along)

For installation, the individual will need:

Spark plug socket for 3/8" drive and 3/8" Drive rachet
Needle nose pliers (medium jaw is fine)
6, 4, and 2.5 metric allen/hex wrenches
Small light hammer
Screwdriver with two standard sizes each philips and flat heads
Dremel with cutting wheel
Wire stripper/crimp tool
Drill w/ 1/8" drill bit (metal) (additional- you may have driver bits for philips and flat head)
Extra Zip-ties of various sizes
Electrical tape (3M or better, no cheap stuff)
Inline fuse holder (1 1/4"x1/4") and one 1A slow burn fuse (OPTIONAL IF CONNECTING POWER LINE)
Butt connector (crimp on) for 22-16 gauge wire (OPTIONAL IF CONNECTING POWER LINE)
2x Ring terminal connectors (crimp on) for stud size either 10 or 1/4" (check your batt studs for fit) (OPTIONAL IF CONNECTING POWER LINE)
Strap, large Zip-tie, or some other means of squeezing front brake
Blue Loctite
Anti-seize compound
Q-tips, rags, brushes, etc suitable for cleaning
Cleaner solution or spray (Brake Cleaner and Windex or Simple Green)
(THIS LIST DOES NOT INCLUDE TOOLS FOR BLOCKS 1-Disassembly & 7-Reassembly)

Reading Guidance- This install guide is broken into 'blocks' which are complete task sections. They represent logical break points between tasks in the installation. Each block is annotated with tools (except Blocks 1 and 7) required for that section and titled with what component from Trail Tech Package is to be installed (Hint for what component looks like in FYI).

Installation:

BLOCK 1- Disassembly

Remove headlight cowling, side fairings, and seat
Remove gas tank (ensure you prop the tank so as not to rest on the petcock, especially if you don't bother draining like I do)
Remove cross brace for battery covering terminals (if connecting power)

BLOCK 2- Thermal Sensor
FYI: Thermal sensor (has copper ring on end)
Tools: Socket Plug, Cleaning tools/spray, Anti-seize, Zip-ties

NOTATION: This guide installs the sensor under the spark plug and programming notes are written for this measuring of head temp. Others argue the oil bango bolt is a better location and wish to measure oil temp directly.

Clean around spark plugs
Remove outer plug and clean well thoroughly
Place thermal sensor (copper ring w/ wire) on plug and reinstall plug with sensor lead INBOARD (towards inside plug). You will likely need to give the sensor a slight bend to get the plug socket over the plug
Tighten to snug plus a 1/8 to 1/4 turn. If you have not recently applied anti-seize to threads, do so on installation.
Route wire up along plug wire (I used the inner plug wire) and follow cableway on left side of frame near steering head; my plug would not fit through the guide but I routed along side away from pinch points. Drape in/over handle bars for now. Zipt-tie only portions BELOW cable way at steering head!

BLOCK 3- RPM Sensor
FYI: RPM sensor (has exposed red lead on one end)
Tools: Electrical Tape, Cleaning tools/spray, Zip-ties

Fish the red lead through the cableway mentioned above and route along spark wires to just above plug connector (stay an inch or two away).
Clean spark wire with windex or similar solution.
Wrap approx 8 full wraps around wire. Wraps should not be close together but should not cover more than an inch linear distance along plug wire.
Wrap these coils in electrical tape.
Draw up extra slack in both thermal sensor and RPM sensor wires towards handlebars and Zip-tie or tape wires where covered by fuel tank. Leave extra as is for later.

BLOCK 4- Power Supply (OPTIONAL)
FYI: Power (mated twin lead, colored Red/Black)
Tools: Screwdriver, Needlenose pliers, Wire Stripper/Crimper, Butt Connectors, Ring Connectors, Inline Fuse assembly, Zip-ties

Disconnect leads to battery.
Route power wire long spine of the chassis, starting from the handle bars and working back to the battery (this is where needlenose pliers are helpful to fish wire). DO NOT ZIP-TIE YET.
Split wires into separate leads.
Crimp ring connector on black lead and connect to "-" terminal (left side for me)
(NOTE: Yes, trail tech unit is ambivalent to which way DC is connected; however, in the interest of proper procedure, black to "-" and red to "+")
Crimp a butt connector from red lead to one end of inline fuse.
Crimp ring connector to other end of fuse set (be sure to install fuse by this point)
Bend red lead ring connector 90* so that it fits under red ("+") protective hood and attach, tightening terminal screw snugly.
Attached black lead to "-" terminal and tighten snugly.
Route loose wire around battery neatly and draw excess power wire back towards handlebars CAREFULLY along left side of bike frame. Wire is thin and can be caressed without causing it damage. Zip-tie as needed

BLOCK 5- Speedometer
FYI: Speedo wire (has black sensor plate on end) and Hex head bolt with magnet.
Tools: Dremel w/cutting disk, Drill, #6 Allen/hex wrench, Small Hammer, Strap (for front brake), Screwdriver, Cleaning tools/spray, Loctite, Zip-ties,

Strap front brake lever to clamp down on front brake.
Find a convenient screw for brake disc assembly and fit number 6 Allen wrench in screw head.
LIGHTLY tap the allen wrench to seat firmly w/ hammer.
With a good grip on wheel, break the chosen screw loose. It will be loctited in there firmly and require some force. Ensure you do not slip.
Once the bolt is loose and removed, do not stop for beer.
Apply blue loctite to bolt/magnet and seat firmly in position using appropriate socket.
Remove brake lever strap.
Loosen both bolts for brake calliper.
Spot point along upper edge just below where relief cuts in mold are present and angle cuts back. This start of the open flat spot is about where your hole will need to be drilled. You may use some tape to test place sensor (you can disconnect the wire at plug) to ensure you meet min/max distance from magnet bolt.
Once you have sited the position of the sensor, mark your hole
Remove caliper from mount and drill with 1/8" bit !!COMPLETELY THROUGH!! You will not need all the distance but too shallow and you can strip the head of the screw before you realize.
Affix self-tapping screw provided with sensor lined up. Have Dremel handy for when you slightly strip the head.
Once you have slightly (or fully) stripped the head, slot the head using the cutting wheel on the Dremel to fit your flat head bit and proceed to finish seating screw snugly.
Route cable along brake line all the way up handlebars. I could not fit the plug through the mid fork guide but the provided Zip-ties were able to secure wire.
Reinstall brake caliper.

(Now you can have a beer, the rest is easy.)

BLOCK 6- Computer Mounting
FYI: Trail Tech computer head and mount sized for your bars (if using polymer mount provided)
Tools: #4 and 2.5 Allen/Hex wrenches,

NOTATION: I did not remove old speedo, as it has the odometer and I wished for the bike to be able to be returned to factory; that being said, my computer is mounted so that is covers, from the rider's perspective, 4/5ths of the original instrument. You can still read the odometer if looking from over head down behind the computer.

Use smaller mount if you have stock bars or swapped for same size and larger mount if you have swapped for larger bars. Mount is emplaced by forcing open jaw end over main bar. Thread bolt and nut and make slighty tight so that it does not move easily w/ #4 Allen.
Connect mounting plate to rear of computer. These two screws are the only time you need the #2.5 Allen.
Connect all plugs. You cannot screw this up because each plug has a different size or sex. Don't be retarded.
Route the cables in/around bars, being mindful of the full swing of the handlebars.
Mount computer to arm using last bolt and nut, tighten slightly and rotate full assembly into final position using #4 Allen. Again, slightly snug as you may need to adjust.
!!CHECK YOU FULL RANGE OF HANDLEBAR MOTION SEVERAL TIMES, OBSERVING ALL WIRES!! Seriously, don't be retarded, make sure the wires have enough slack for full range.
Once sure, tighten down mount and secure wires. Some will have LOTS of slack, just coil up and zip-tie neatly. Zip-tie all wires together at end, keeping in mind the slack required for handlebar motion.

BLOCK 7- Reassembly

Reinstall tank first, visually checking for fit and wire clearance.
Reinstall headlight cowling, checking for fit and wire clearance.
Reinstall seat and side fairings, and yes, keep checking.

BLOCK 8- Programming and testing
FYI-The guide book is pretty good about conveying the process, this serves only as advice for settings as needed. MODE button navigates pages. Left Hand/Down Arrow usually ticks selected digit(s) up and Right Hand/Up Arrow shifts between selected digits. Press and hold all three for a three (3) seconds (until display flashes all LCD elements on) to enter programming mode.

Tire size- Consult List Below for known tire numbers to see if your tire has already been checked. If your tire is not on the list, leave this alone unless you got this diameter number down by rolling the tire for distance or exact measurements. Use a GPS and the provided formulas in book to reset this number to a correct number later.
Clock should always be set to 24hr time just because.
Pulses per rev- Leave this first page on 1 and the second page all zeros
Temp units- Use Celsius if you plan on doing science. Otherwise, Fahrenheit.
High Temp- from reading, no one really sees above 330*F in normal operation.
Danger Temp- 375*F sounds as good as anything. Some set theirs at the max 399*F
Shift Point 1- The engine apparently produces little torque above 5000rpm but for those operating in areas of 75mph highways, about 5200 is sufficient to no have the yellow blinking constantly, depending on sprocket arrangement and rear tire size.
Shift Point 2- Informal polling of threads seem to hover around 6000-6500, as this is well above useful power range and suitable as a warning point.

Final Notes- Read latter half of book for operation instructions. If you have decided to replace the original manufacturer speedo, notate the Odometer reading at this time for record keeping. You may set this odometer entry in the computer using instructions below for ODOMETER RESET or simply keep mindful that the computer odometer reading will need to be added to the original for tracking maintenance points and total mileage on bike (if selling).

TO PERFORM MASTER OR ODOMETER RESET
NOTE: I have edited for emphasis, reading, and to match the format of this guide for continuity. The content of these instructions remain the same as passed along by Todd157k and their presence is due to his reposting them. Where I have added my own remarks, it is to tie in with other elements of this guide.

MASTER RESET (Vapor/Vector/Striker)
NOTATION: This will reset ALL of your information AND settings in the unit so make sure you write all of this info down before you perform the reset.

Press and hold all three buttons down for three (3) seconds to enter the data setting mode.
Navigate to Tire Size page using MODE button (should only need to press once)
Enter 9110 (Left Hand/Down Arrow button counts up on selected digit. Right Hand/Up Arrow navigates selected digit left to right) [For Instructional purposes, buttons will be abbreviated Left/Down and Right/Up respectively here after]
Immediately after entry, Press and hold Right/Up for three (3) seconds.
Screen should now show a flashing ( 12HR ).
Immediately press and hold Right/Up for approximately five (5) seconds.
RESET will display on the screen.
At this point, touch nothing further to continue. Unit will reset and all LCD elements will activate. Press MODE to return to main display screen. From here, you will need to re-program as necessary.

ODOMETER RESET (Vapor)

Press and hold all three buttons down for three (3) seconds to enter the data setting mode.
Navigate to Tire Size page using MODE button (should only need to press once)
Enter 9110 (Left Hand/Down Arrow button counts up on selected digit. Right Hand/Up Arrow navigates selected digit left to right) [For Instructional purposes, buttons will be abbreviated Left/Down and Right/Up respectively here after]
Immediately after entry, Press and hold Right/Up for three (3) seconds.
Screen should now show a flashing ( 12HR ).
Use MODE to navigate to page showing ODO
Use Left/Down and Right/Up buttons to set odometer to desired mileage (all zeros for clearing or desired mileage as might be from removed OEM speedo)
Once complete, you can either wait for five seconds to revert to main display screen or press MODE
NOTATION: Resetting the proper tire size is not required, as unit reverts to previous entry.

TIRE SIZES-
Continental TKC80 90/90-21: 2140
Shinko 804 90/90-21: 2155
Dunlop D606 90/90-21: 2180 (Supplied by Magana)

(IF YOU HAVE OTHER TIRE SIZES KNOWN AND CHECKED WHEN NEW, Please PM me and I will add those numbers to this list along with credit due).

Anyone and everyone is welcome to link/copy the installation process above and post it up in forums elsewhere (Please maintain credit where ever it is given for those who aided in making this guide possible).

Last edited by droppointalpha on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

As the tyre wears, the roll out measurement will change so it is best to measure the roll out rather than just accept values supplied by individuals with different brands and sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dhardesthard wrote:
As the tyre wears, the roll out measurement will change so it is best to measure the roll out rather than just accept values supplied by individuals with different brands and sizes.

1 Wear is irrelevant with new tires; values above should be tires as new. As the tire wears, you can re-roll the tire and adjust if you like.

2 The entire point of the tire list is to have the correct number for your brand/size when you install the tire new. Variation of tires new from production lot to lot should not be large enough to matter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:01 am 

Great writeup, many thanks. Installed mine a couple of weeks ago as had a KPH speedo and needed MPH for UK registration. The only difference I made was to take power from the auxiliary socked behind the screen. Measured my TK80's and think I used 2166 (they are part worn) and it runs same as my GPS, so will swap to 2140 when fitting new.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

droppointalpha wrote:
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THE TRAIL TECH INSTALLED- Please check tire size chart I am trying to grow at bottom....

Nice job with this instructional and informative post droppointalpha! I will be making this a tech forum stickie for sure..... :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The tire numbers will be useful for many but once I set it I forget it, it is close enough that I will not get a speeding ticket no matter what size front tire I get, once I go to a 19 inch front wheel I will reset the number. From one tire brand to another the difference in reading will undoubtedly be less than the known inaccuracy of the OEM speedo.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Sandcrabdave wrote:
The tire numbers will be useful for many but once I set it I forget it, it is close enough that I will not get a speeding ticket no matter what size front tire I get, once I go to a 19 inch front wheel I will reset the number. From one tire brand to another the difference in reading will undoubtedly be less than the known inaccuracy of the OEM speedo.

Truly, accuracy on the Trail tech is far above and away more than the OEM. For instance, my wife and I ride a 2014 and 2015 respectively. Her speedo, by GPS and second vehicle measurement, is reading about 5% higher than actual. My 2015, on the other hand, was a full 10% higher than actual and still is no matter the tire fitted, +/- about 1.5mph speed variation from brand/model to brand/model.

On the other hand, the Vapor unit reliably, on two speed runs, registered an exact 0.6mph difference between my TKC80 setting and the actual with the freshly mounted 804, a programming difference of about 15mm.

I'm sure many people will simply use a 2140 or similar number and the +/- 1 or 2 mph from brand to brand of tire won't concern them in the slightest. Never mind, as tire wears, the indicated speed will be higher than actual.

If there are those who have mounted different wheel sizes, I can have separate sections for wheel size, then brand/model tire.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I am using 2180 for the D606 and it works pretty good for speed also double checked with distance travelled if Google is to be trusted for accuracy.

Cheers! :drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:02 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Magana wrote:
I am using 2180 for the D606 and it works pretty good for speed also double checked with distance travelled if Google is to be trusted for accuracy.

Cheers! :drinks:

Thanks for the input!

Dunlop D606: 2180 (I assume this is the factory 90/90-21 tire size?)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:39 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

We had to write Trail Tech peeps to get instructions how to reset the unit. I figured this might be the appropriate place to store it. This is directly from TT:

Below are the instructions to complete a “master reset” as well as adjust your ODO/ART. These will both be reset to zero after the master reset is done. Make sure to write your current ODO and ART down if they are important to you. Please let me know whether this does or does not fix the issue.

Vapor/Vector/Striker Master Reset

This will reset all of you information and settings in the unit so make sure you write all of this info down before you perform the reset.

Press and hold all three buttons down for three seconds to enter the data setting mode. Once there using the mode button progress to the tire size. At the tire size enter 9110 using the left and right had buttons to increment the digits. Immediately after entering the new tire size press and hold the right hand button down for three second. This should move to a screen with ( 12HR ) flashing on it. As soon as this is displayed you will want to hold down the right hand button again after about five seconds RESET will display on the screen. All you have to do is not press any of the buttons and then the unit will reset. Next all of the LCD segments will light up and then all you will have to do is press the mode button and you will be back at the main screen.

Vapor ODO reset

Press and hold all three buttons down for three seconds to enter the data setting mode. Once there using the mode button progress to the tire size. At the tire size enter 9110 using the left and right had buttons to increment the digits. Immediately after entering the new tire size press and hold the right hand button down for three second. This should move to a screen with ( 12HR ) flashing on it. If this is displayed you are in the permanent data set so any alterations will be saved to the permanent information. Once in this data set again using the mode button move to desired screen in this case the screen that reads ODO for odometer. Finally using the left and right buttons again alter the ODO to desired mileage. Once complete you can either wait for five seconds and let the Vapor revert back to the main screen or you can use the mode button to reach the main screen. Resetting the proper tire size is not needed since the Vapor with automatically default back to the values you had set prior to this adjustment.