www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone run a tail bag?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:25 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Anyone run a tail bag in a small medium size?
I have a PMB rack and I have an old back pack strapped down on the rack but looking to upgrade to a proper tail bag.
Wolfman look awesome but the Peak is too small & the other one is too big (maybe?)
This one looks good http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dowc ... answer_tab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:46 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Guys in the local dual sport club often swear by Dirt-Bike-Gear bags.
http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com

My buddy got their fender bag a few months ago and is happy with it. He first ordered the regular one, but returned it for the large, as it's not nearly as big as the pics seem to make it look.

I tried some small side bags, but for trails I worried about them flopping (they really didn't), and kept catching them on trees in the really tight stuff. So I am back to my "temporary" setup again, a cheap tool bag and some bungee cords. I say temporary, I've been using it about a year and a half now.

When I say cheap tool bag, I mean like one of these style:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:37 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've used the Ogio bag for years. Holds up well, enough room in the center compartment for a lot - and it unzips/expands upward (great for putting a layer of clothing in mid-ride), has a top pocket and side pockets. The front compartment has a rain guard in it. It clips to the tie downs for easy on/off and has a carry handle. I secure it with RokStraps cuz I'm a little OCD but it's never failed, even in some rough riding areas.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-tail-bag

I had a PMB rack and it fits that dimension well.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

i to have been running the ogio tail bag for 3 years
love it.......
it mounts and un-mounts so east
it is secured to my mosse rack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just about any bag can work, including those bags tools come in. I like a few compartments to stay organized. My old TourMaster Cortech
bag has 3 main compartments plus two little pouches and two internal pouches. Main compartment is big enough to pack for 4 day ride.
Works for me but I prefer a stiffer bag but almost anything can work.

Packed for 3 day ride. Good for groceries too. Has one main center compartment, two compartments at each end, plus little pouches.
Good design, not very well made but this one is 10 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:36 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I'm using the Wolfman Wolf Tail tail bag - very pleased with it. Removed the foam inserts to make it crushable and I believe better. It will swallow a full-face helmet with the expansion zipper open and nothing else - or only those things that fit within the helmet - in the main compartment. The bungees have always held it in place, even through a few hard lay-outs.

If you feel the Peak is too small, give another look at the Wolf Tail - as Goldilocks would say, "It's just right."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I've used a large Wolfman Rolie Bag with great success. Tough, waterproof, no zippers to fail and it came with straps that not only attach it to the bike but cinches the load down as contents get added or removed throughout the ride.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I use my Marsee tank bag as my tail bag. Works well and since I've owned it for years before I got the DR, did not have to buy one!

If one of these may work, it's a killer deal before they close for good. 59% off code is SAVE59
http://roadgear.com/tail-bags-c-23_31.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:15 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
I'm using the Wolfman Wolf Tail tail bag - very pleased with it. Removed the foam inserts to make it crushable and I believe better. It will swallow a full-face helmet with the expansion zipper open and nothing else - or only those things that fit within the helmet - in the main compartment. The bungees have always held it in place, even through a few hard lay-outs.

If you feel the Peak is too small, give another look at the Wolf Tail - as Goldilocks would say, "It's just right."

Not a bad idea making it collapsible. Do you have any pics of it on the bike? Do you use a rack with it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:25 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Uberkul wrote:
I've used a large Wolfman Rolie Bag with great success. Tough, waterproof, no zippers to fail and it came with straps that not only attach it to the bike but cinches the load down as contents get added or removed throughout the ride.

Roll bags look good. Like the Kriegas also. I imagine they are good for a long trips but wouldn't they be a pain for short trips where you access it often? Eg grab a drink, something to eat, change gloves etc.

I was eyeing off the OGio also- looks good. But I like the ones with a net style on top.

Trying to attach a pic but it's saying file too big :sorry: