www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:12 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Loving the Kriega bags. I'm sure they'd be a good buy. Love your setup with Wolfman side bags also- are they stable on the sides like that?
I was thinking a US10 would be a good size for what I'm after but the only thing I don't like is the idea of reaching into the bottom of the bag from one end while its strapped to the bike to find something small eg a leatherman, chocolate bar etc. it's probably not as bad as I imagine though.
And then a US 20 would be a good longer trip size.

I actually just placed an order for the Dowco I posted earlier so I'll post pics when it arrives. I mocked up a cardboard box the same size, sat it on the bike and filled it with the stuff I normally carry on the trail and the size seems spot on.
Then I reckon a US20 or roll top duffle bag would be a good buy when more storage is required.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Love your setup with Wolfman side bags also- are they stable on the sides like that?

Yes! They basically have a stradle strap that goes over the top of the seat, then a lower strap that I attach to my passenger pegs. On the ride in that photo, I did lay the bike out on the right side at a relatively high speed in the dirt (3rd gear, not sure speed) - and there is really not even a sign of abrasion, and the bags needed no adjustment. Lots of water bar jumps, rough rocky roads and challenging terrain, I hardly noticed the bags. They are pricey, but the ability to run without a rack is awesome, they are waterproof, and seem to hold up very nicely. I admittedly have only used them on one other trip, as I do tend to go with a top bag first, then add side bags if duty calls.

B2LL2F wrote:
I was thinking a US10 would be a good size for what I'm after but the only thing I don't like is the idea of reaching into the bottom of the bag from one end while its strapped to the bike to find something small eg a leatherman, chocolate bar etc. it's probably not as bad as I imagine though.
And then a US 20 would be a good longer trip size.

I don't have a US10 you've gotta make your own decision there - but when my us20 isn't packed tight, it's still nice and secure as the synch compresses the load, whatever size it is.

And I have a lot of experience with working with dry bag type bags, so I've picked up a lot of tricks to make dealing with one large space. This includes having smaller bags within. as it pertains to DR camping, I have separate bags for clean clothes and dirty clothes, I have a bag just for camp kitchen, I have a toiletries bag, etc. etc. I also make it a point to put more frequently used items either in my camelbak, or near the top of the roll-top. For the most part, the US20 is filled with stuff I won't need till I get to camp. I run my camelbak as light as possible. My tools live in the stock tool tube. My flat kit/spares live in the US5, front tube, patch kit, etc all live in my fender pack. By planning your pack, and making subtle changes over time, I think you will learn to make great use of a dry bag.... And your stuff will stay drier than they could in a zippered multi-pocket type bag.

B2LL2F wrote:
I actually just placed an order for the Dowco I posted earlier so I'll post pics when it arrives. I mocked up a cardboard box the same size, sat it on the bike and filled it with the stuff I normally carry on the trail and the size seems spot on.
Then I reckon a US20 or roll top duffle bag would be a good buy when more storage is required.

The kriega bags mate together - so they are a great expandable system. If you got the US10, and then two US5's, you could mount the 5's to the side of the US10 bag and essentially have a US20, but divided into three. Or get the US20 and hang 5's off of it, or a 10 on top of it...

Like most have said here - lots of great options out there, no wrong way to do it - though I would say bungee-cording some anonymous cheap bag is probably my least favorite option -I've had to stop and pick up other people's stuff as it falls off their bike, and wait for them to re-secure it enough to know I don't want that for myself. Early on in my DR's life, I took a trip where I took a large back pack that I strapped to the seat using moto- tie downs between the grab handles. This kinda worked, but I was checking to make sure it was back there often, and it did move around and slip. I later added that padded/meshy rubbery stuff that your wife puts in the silverware drawer between the seat and the bag to help it grip, and that helped a lot... But I would never ever even consider leaving the house with a bungee holding the same thing in place. YMMV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've been using the Oigo tailbag for a couple of years now... the sun has faded it a bit but it has been holding up very well. It will expand vertically and you can put 2 six-packs of beer bottles in it... just to give you an idea of it's capacity.

See topic12416-10.html and look for my pictorial post of it. :2_thumbsup:

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm thinking I might just head down to a Lowes or Home Depot and check out the tool bags/boxes there. Anyone that uses one, how water resistant are they?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Another fan of the Kriega bags. I love my US10 and will be getting a larger bag soon.

http://www.kriega.us/bike-packs/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Busted Knuckles wrote:
I'm thinking I might just head down to a Lowes or Home Depot and check out the tool bags/boxes there. Anyone that uses one, how water resistant are they?

The one I have could be classified as "0% waterproof". Maybe less. But you can pack things in plastic bags inside it to keep them dry, just the outer bag gets wet, which isn't a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:50 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Anybody have a recommendation for a decent medium size bag that will sit on top of the fender (no rack) and strap to the grab handles ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:48 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

I've been very happy with my Cortech tailbag, no rack, strapped down with ROK Straps. I strongly recommend anyone running a tailbag to strap everything in it down tight like the straps are doing here. If you don't the contents will rattle themselves and the bag into bits. If you have a hard tail case, fill it with old towels for padding. Anything left to rattle around will self destruct.

Cortech doesn't make this bag anymore but there is at least one copy being made.

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have that bag too, and mine is inside-plated and bolted to my rack. I LOve the side(s) expando feature. I use a strap to keep it compressed down for anti-slop when not full. And FYI to all baggers, of just about any type: My local shoe/boot repair guy replaced the bag's worn out zippers of the main compartment for super cheap, with a better YKK heavy duty version. About $20-ish. Guy says he can re-zip just about any bag, so don't worry about sending off bags to the original makers for repairs. IOW's: use your nearby shoe repair guy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 pm 

i'm planning on getting the wolfman tail bag, only thing that im worried about is i want the b+b rear rack, and i'm not sure if ill be able to mount that pack on it with its size. anyone running that setup? photos? thanks in advance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next