www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I am running a Moose Racing Tail bag, similar to one of these, just the older version.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/10 ... nder-Pack-

The one I have is the none removable one, that is just bolted to the top of the rear fender between the grab bars. It's handy to take a drink, a snack, spare set of gloves and can be expanded to carry more. Just not a huge amount of stuff, but work fine to carry my lunch if I ride to work, lol.

This is the one I have, but do believe they don't make it quite like this anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I have several options depending on situation..

Seal bag for complete waterproofness

some kind of saddleman or something,

sometimes I just use a cargo net over my man purse

also just got the yellow boat bag from Basspro.. sorry no pics but it's not as waterproof as promised..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:13 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

B2LL2F wrote:
Dreaded Rebel wrote:
I'm using the Wolfman Wolf Tail tail bag - very pleased with it. Removed the foam inserts to make it crushable and I believe better. It will swallow a full-face helmet with the expansion zipper open and nothing else - or only those things that fit within the helmet - in the main compartment. The bungees have always held it in place, even through a few hard lay-outs.

If you feel the Peak is too small, give another look at the Wolf Tail - as Goldilocks would say, "It's just right."

Not a bad idea making it collapsible. Do you have any pics of it on the bike? Do you use a rack with it?

It's on a ProCycle tail rack, and no, I have no pictures of it. Sorry.

EDIT:

When out last night and grabbed a picture.
Attachment:
0923162247-00.jpg
0923162247-00.jpg [ 430.14 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

Last edited by Dreaded Rebel on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:32 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

B2LL2F wrote:
Uberkul wrote:
I've used a large Wolfman Rolie Bag with great success. Tough, waterproof, no zippers to fail and it came with straps that not only attach it to the bike but cinches the load down as contents get added or removed throughout the ride.

Roll bags look good. Like the Kriegas also. I imagine they are good for a long trips but wouldn't they be a pain for short trips where you access it often? Eg grab a drink, something to eat, change gloves etc.

I have a hydration pack with enough room to use as a glove compartment so the tail bag is used for insulation layers that come and go during a day ride. I can be in a Rolie bag in about 10 seconds and have it buttoned back up and cinched down in 20-30 seconds. I've picked up enough stuff on the trail, mine and others, to realize simple secure storage is just as if not more important than convienience. Road riders can get away with much simpler solutions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:40 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Uberkul wrote:
B2LL2F wrote:
Uberkul wrote:
I've used a large Wolfman Rolie Bag with great success. Tough, waterproof, no zippers to fail and it came with straps that not only attach it to the bike but cinches the load down as contents get added or removed throughout the ride.

Roll bags look good. Like the Kriegas also. I imagine they are good for a long trips but wouldn't they be a pain for short trips where you access it often? Eg grab a drink, something to eat, change gloves etc.

I have a hydration pack with enough room to use as a glove compartment so the tail bag is used for insulation layers that come and go during a day ride. I can be in a Rolie bag in about 10 seconds and have it buttoned back up and cinched down in 20-30 seconds. I've picked up enough stuff on the trail, mine and others, to realize simple secure storage is just as if not more important than convienience. Road riders can get away with much simpler solutions.

Pretty sound logic!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:01 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

The Wolfman looks good.
I actually realise now that the Wolfman Tail & the Dowco extreme have the same base size (12" X 9.5") it's just that the Wolfman is taller, & expandable in height & more pockets & 2.5 times the price.
I'm thinking the Dowco might be the way to go as it will be for day trips road & bush. For any longer trips I can strap a bigger bag to the back which I've done before. Or get a big roll top bag.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 215.39 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm using the Oxford 36L

It mounts to the rear fender with velcro strap & bungies. It has a base that can stay on the bike while the bag zips off and converts to a backpack. Expanded it can fit an XL modular helmut but it can collapse down much smaller. The main compartment is undivided so I use some bags to provide some organization.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I like my kriega bags - they hold on very nicely to the rear rack of my DR, or can be attached to just about any bike on the sub frame and/or grab handles. They hold down very securely and are light weight. I have a US 5 that I use as a toold bag/rear inner-tube/spares bag, and if I am camping, I have a US20 that mates to the US5, and itself mounts to the same hooks as the US5 would on it's own. Very expandable well designed system, equally at home on the pavement or in the dirt.

Here is My DR with the US 5 stretched over the extra gallon of fuel I sometimes carry. The bag is also sinching my tent poles, and I sometimes use it to since an extra pair of shoes to the rack as well

Here is the US20 on my DR before I did the color change

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:40 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec- ... -available
This is what I've been using for the last 4 years. It's been through alot of trails and very rough dirt roads, taken a few dirt naps and still is waterproof and air tight. The strap anchors have held up where they probably would have ripped off or the stiches would have come apart on cheaper bags.
It's always with me when I'm riding. I carry my rain suit; water; first aid kit; sun screen; bug repellent; bear repellent; spare socks, underware, warm gloves; leather jacket (I have a Kevlar lined jean jacket that I use in the summer), a sweater and insulated over-pants because it sometimes gets very cool after the sun goes down.

Pros: air tight, waterproof and durable
Cons: pricey, I feel that the top opening could have been made larger.

'03 DR-X650: Continental TKC80 Front, Shinko 244 rear; 14 tooth front sprocket; BarkBusters; Procycle case armor; Warp9 skid plate, shifter, and clutch lever; Sargent low seat with Sit & Fly cover; Acerbis tank; Renthal CR high bars; RMZ forks; Buell headlight mod, future KX450F rear shock.

'15 GSX-S750

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:00 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Clinton wrote:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d38-rigid-waterproof-motorcycle-dry-bag-multiple-colors-available
This is what I've been using for the last 4 years. It's been through alot of trails and very rough dirt roads, taken a few dirt naps and still is waterproof and air tight. The strap anchors have held up where they probably would have ripped off or the stiches would have come apart on cheaper bags.
It's always with me when I'm riding. I carry my rain suit; water; first aid kit; sun screen; bug repellent; bear repellent; spare socks, underware, warm gloves; leather jacket (I have a Kevlar lined jean jacket that I use in the summer), a sweater and insulated over-pants because it sometimes gets very cool after the sun goes down.

Pros: air tight, waterproof and durable
Cons: pricey, I feel that the top opening could have been made larger.

Man you are PREPARED.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next