www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:15 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

TrophyHunter wrote:
Outstanding stuff! If anyone gets the urge to replicate these loops, keep me in mind. I'm mostly retired with a "you have 7 years 'til I retire, so go do all the riding you want" hall pass.

Ummm.... ME!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:clapping: Wow! How bout that trip! Could it get any better ! Great pics! :2_thumbsup:
Cheers for sharing. :drinks:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing and reading about other folks adventures. I don't think my skills are ready for that type of riding, but I'd like to check it out in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

such a nice ride! :2_thumbsup:

and kudos to the lady in the company for having the courage to get into this type of riding with only two months bike riding experience!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:58 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thank you for posting the pictures and the trip you two took. I really enjoyed it. :good:

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:48 am 

Great pictures! Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:12 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Oops-- forgot to finish this thing. The few days we spent in Moab was amazing, but barely enough time to scratch the surface. Aside from the spectacular riding, there's cool stuff all over the place like dinosaur footprints and ancient alien art...

ImageDSCF1328 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1331 by Bromley, on Flickr

We spent our first day out on Potash Road, which is a stunning ride with a nice mix of easy-intermediate terrain.

ImageDSCF1343 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1337 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1342 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1347 by Bromley, on Flickr

The desert is a dusty place.
ImageDSCF1352 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1356 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1358 by Bromley, on Flickr

In regards to the conversation going on over in the "General Discussion" forum about the pros & cons of the DR vs some of the 250s out there... A pro that the DR can handle more luggage? Or a con that you end up having to carry other peoples' luggage? The Rotopax is for Herrie's 250 (no oversized tank available).

ImageDSCF1369 by Bromley, on Flickr

On the other hand, Herrie never ended up needing the extra fuel, as the 250 gets something like 75 mpg.

ImageDSCF1373 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1373 by Bromley, on Flickr

A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MOAB: The beer sold in grocery/convenience stores looks the same as the beer we all know and love, BUT-- it's only 3.2% abv. Proper beer can only be purchased at liquor stores, which close very early. Plan accordingly (panniers full of proper beer).

ImageDSCF1443 by Bromley, on Flickr

We spent the next day at the playground that is Sand Flats Recreation Area. I've been dreaming of riding Slickrock for about 15 years, so Kirk and I had a go at the Slickrock "Practice Loop".

Just follow the dotted line.

ImageDSCF1394 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1397 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1400 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1403 by Bromley, on Flickr

It was amazing to ride on solid rock like that. You'd be rolling along the edge of a cliff, but the surface gripped like a parking lot. Also, just coming from Colorado where everything's all wishy-washy gravel and boulders, it felt really funny to get 100% response back from the bike. Good grip or not, the Slickrock Practice Loop was actually really difficult, so Kirk and I headed to ride a bit of Fins n Things for some additional practice.

ImageDSCF1405 by Bromley, on Flickr

Fins n Things was hard, too. It was all cliffs...
ImageDSCF1406 by Bromley, on Flickr

Or deep, soft sand...
ImageDSCF1407 by Bromley, on Flickr

Or cliffs rising out of deep, soft sand...
ImageDSCF1408 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1412 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1414 by Bromley, on Flickr

Then I had a go at Baby Lion's Back-- a big, steep rock feature in the park. I stalled on the way up, the DR toppled over backwards, and slid down the rock. The instant before the topple:

ImageDSCF1417 by Bromley, on Flickr

If nothing else, I've made my mark on this earth.
ImageDSCF1418 by Bromley, on Flickr

Things were bent and a little busted, but the DR turned right back on, and I cruised up to the top of that rock :s_cool
ImageDSCF1416 by Bromley, on Flickr

After taking a break at the campsite, Kirk and I rode further out down the road, which I believe turns into Chicken Corners. It looked especially Martian.
ImageDSCF1419 by Bromley, on Flickr
ImageDSCF1421 by Bromley, on Flickr
ImageDSCF1422 by Bromley, on Flickr

But it was bothering me all day that I finally made it to Slickrock and didn't even do the full trail. So later that evening I went back to do the full, 10-mile loop. After trying the practice loop, Kirk wanted nothing to do with this, so I went out solo.
ImageDSCF1428 by Bromley, on Flickr

I hadn't read too much about this trail before I went out, and if I had it probably wouldn't have changed my mind because I was pretty determined to do it anyway. But Slickrock was really difficult and pretty dangerous. I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it solo-- throughout most of the ride you're right on the edge of deep, narrow canyons where you could easily fall and be left for days.

ImageDSCF1436 by Bromley, on Flickr

The DR650 was also far too big and heavy for this trail. There are some really tight, technical sections where, if you stopped or dropped, you would end up in big trouble.

ImageDSCF1435 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1430 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1433 by Bromley, on Flickr

Equally difficult was the challenge of following the white dotted line. At times it was faint, and at times it turned unexpectedly-- not much of a problem except that you'd be in the middle of difficult hill climb only to suddenly have to reverse your direction. I could imagine this challenge being really fun on one of the little 2-strokes I saw out there.

ImageDSCF1439 by Bromley, on Flickr

I was especially proud of making it up this thing. It doesn't look very menacing in a picture, but it was like riding up a stack of refrigerators as high as a house (I zig-zagged from right to left).
ImageDSCF1441 by Bromley, on Flickr

ImageDSCF1429 by Bromley, on Flickr

Slickrock was the most difficult ride I've ever done, and finishing the loop really felt like an accomplishment-- not a feeling I get often as a motorcycle commuter in Nashville.

The end of the trip was a bit of a slog from Moab to the car in Telluride, where we left Herrie. Kirk and I rode to Durango, took our first showers in 15 days, and loaded everything up for the drive back to Tennessee. Thanks for following along here. I don't know if we'll be able to do this trip again next summer, but if we do, let's all meet up and ride in the mountains. Safe riding!

ImageDSCF1482 by Bromley, on Flickr
ImageDSCF1500 by Bromley, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:2_thumbsup:

and now for the real question: how did the Forester handle all this load? :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:20 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The Subaru did great! With the trailer and 3 bikes it was about 1,000 pounds OVER Subaru's stated limit, but I'd read that the European Forester is identical, but with a higher stated tow limit (maybe different legal requirements in the US?). We pulled that trailer up some really rough, steep, torn-up roads and everything was fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next