www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:44 pm 

Nobody likes to share medical issues, but it just feels like there is not enough precaution about this to new riders online or in the moto community.

I researched different bikes/forums. Read different articles. Looked at sticky posts. Took a motorcycle safety course. Bought all the "necessary" safety gear. Talked to many experienced riders and the MSF instructors. Everyone says ATGT. I took all precautions to be safe and avoid any kind of physical injury, especially the permanent kind. I even bought a dual-sport DR650 because I know I will go too fast on a superbike.

Then I find out about ear protection, wind noise, and tinnitus after I start getting sustained faint ringing in my ears a month into my first ride. Maybe some people have more sensitive hearing and are more susceptible to this and others are not, so it only affects a smaller percentage. A nurse who is from a motorcycle family tells me that her mom had to quit riding before it's so bad and she also doesn't do it anymore. Others that I went back to and ask now mention "oh yeah I use ear plugs".

What gives? Why is it not part of the "Gear" aspect of ATGT? Is it just the price to play? Am I missing something?

Update: A comprehensive and good link on the topic & solutions for those that find this thread => http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

Keywords: Ringing in ear, ear plugs, hearing loss, protection, safety gear, riding gear, wind noise

Last edited by DeRezzed on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I wear them on every ride.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:58 pm 

In all my research and training, it looks like the only time I have seen it was 1 page/question in the MSF Handbook/Training, but that's it. It's not drilled into you like everything else => https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/BRCHandbook.pdf

The top links in the first page of Google search hits for ATGATT never mentions hearing/ear protection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycl ... #Mnemonics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycl ... _equipment

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2011/08/10 ... -the-time/

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthrea ... -Necessary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Probably because different states have different laws about wearing earplugs while driving.

Personally, I don't care what the law says I'm definitely going to protect what little hearing I have left.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 pm 

Agree. Hearing damage can be permanent.

Even looking at gear discussions on the forum, I rarely see mentions to it. E.g. Nothing in the first 4 pages of this sub-forum or even a specific thread on full gear topic16875.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I think MSF instructors do not promote use of earplugs during class (even if they use them) as it is illeagal in most states to impare your hearing while operating a street legal vehicle.

I wear earplugs or earbud and listen to music (at the lowest level possible to hear over the wind noise)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Earplug discussions quickly become like oil or tire threads. Many strong opinions on wearing them and just as many folks who think it's stupid.

This was a good discussion but the main dissenter was never convinced
--> topic13093-50.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I don't see where it is up to the forum to stress the need for hearing protection. I spent a lot of time as a rodie for rock and country groups and realized hearing protection is up to me, my bosses never mentioned hearing protection just lift that bundle and tote that bale, lots of guys I worked with developed issues but I just wore my foam plugs, did a lot of shooting, wore my plugs and muffs. If I planned to ride for more than 10-15 minutes in go the plugs, my bike has several pairs stashed away on it for when I forget, my jackets all have a few pair in the pockets. I get them for free at work if I need them but I buy modern attenuator type plugs by the case and give them away when I see someone riding without earplugs. The attenuators are nice because I can hear traffic noises, horns, squealing tires and still protect my hearing at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

On longer rides? I just steal a pair of these from my wife

( I snore every now and then)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:16 pm 

Sandcrabdave wrote:
I don't see where it is up to the forum to stress the need for hearing protection. I spent a lot of time as a rodie for rock and country groups and realized hearing protection is up to me, my bosses never mentioned hearing protection just lift that bundle and tote that bale, lots of guys I worked with developed issues but I just wore my foam plugs, did a lot of shooting, wore my plugs and muffs. If I planned to ride for more than 10-15 minutes in go the plugs, my bike has several pairs stashed away on it for when I forget, my jackets all have a few pair in the pockets. I get them for free at work if I need them but I buy modern attenuator type plugs by the case and give them away when I see someone riding without earplugs. The attenuators are nice because I can hear traffic noises, horns, squealing tires and still protect my hearing at the same time.

It's not a knock on this specific forum and I didn't ask for any actions from anyone. I'm not exposed to loud noises on a regular basis, so ear protection safety that is required/provided by work or hobbies is not something I was ever exposed to.

I was surprised that such an issue that can easily cause permanent damage is not regularly discussed/cautioned about when talking about ATGATT like many other discussions/precautions on many other motorcycling topics. Only once you know about it or have it and then you google the topic specifically, then you find all the discussions and research about it. Also, I was also wondering how many others do use ear protection? Is it widely used but not widely discussed.