www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:22 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DeRezzed, you found it yourself and posted the link already, but just a "plug" (heh heh) on this topic for the folks at webbikeworld-- reading their reviews, you'll notice that every time they discuss a product that has anything to do with hearing, the review authors religiously note that they themselves always wear hearing protection while riding. I think that helps 'normalize' it for newcomers or veterans alike, without being preachy. This thread also does that...

Personally I'm a big believer in earplugs while riding. I look at hearing as a finite resource that can be wasted if you're not careful!

Even more so now that I am the new owner of a used and modded DR that came with an extremely loud DG exhaust!! :pardon:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:12 am 

Ace! wrote:
The damage to your ears is caused by wind noise, much more so than the exhaust noise. Even full face helmets produce 110 - 116 db of wind noise above 35 mph (half-helmets even more). Ear/hearing damage occurs in 15 minutes at 116 db. Above 35 mph, wind noise completely dominates any exhaust/mechanical noise. Just an FYI, that you can chase that muffler and try to quiet that, but even with that completely resolved, the issue with hearing damage is a function of traveling at speeds greater than 35 mph and caused by wind.

Completely agree. I'm taking a multi-pronged approach to reduce excess sound, which aggravates my ringing, and allow me to ride again. I'm doing the following:
- Ear plugs are a must. Have Macks with 33 reduction and looking into custom ear plugs
- My Shoei RF1200 is rated by webbikeworld as one of the louder helmets, so I'm looking to get a quieter helmet to reduce the main contributor to hearing damage as you said wind noise. Possibly the GT Air or a Schuberth.
- I'm looking at a quieter exhaust because the 90dB PowerCore 4 aggravates my ringing without even riding the bike

For newbies or first time riders that don't have ringing/tinnitus, the focus/priority can probably be on using ear plugs and a quiet helmet since wind noise is the main contributor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DeRezzed wrote:
...Then I find out about ear protection, wind noise, and tinnitus after I start getting sustained faint ringing in my ears a month into my first ride....
What gives? Why is it not part of the "Gear" aspect of ATGT? Is it just the price to play? Am I missing something?..

When it's cold outside does somebody have to tell you to wear a coat? :biggrin: j/k.. I feel like the subject of earplugs comes up all the time around here and other mc forums.

I will say, in the 80's when I first started riding street bikes, it seemed like nobody wore earplugs. nobody I knew at least. Also, not much bothered me back then. One day a friend gave me a pair while we were out riding and it was a revelation.. As in cloud parting and angels singing. Riding immediately became more fun and less fatiguing.

Now I'm never without, earplugs stashed everywhere on every bike and every piece of gear. Worse case I get stuck with old grungy pair. earplugs good. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:02 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

DeRezzed wrote:
Update on the ringing. It has reduced over time but it doesn't look like it's going away.

I’m a believer and user of ear plugs. SurFire plugs work for me, but I just wanted to add that there are several foods compounds drugs that can induce sustained tinnitus - not just sound trauma. Quinine - commonly found in tonic-water can do it. Gin & Tonic anyone ??

Anyway, not saying this is your issue. Just saying you might not want to get too tunnel-vision on your tinnitus vector being solely sound-related, when sustained tinnitus is often linked to a dietary substance you’ve not thought twice about. On that same coin, there are equally dietary measure you can take to mitigate tinnitus.
Food for thought - pun intended.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:24 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yeah, I have a buddy who got long term tinnitus from a medication he was given for abdominal pain, he ain't been right since.

2 nuts, 2 wheels, 2 beers...
OK, so what's the speed of dark?
You gotta have SACS to ride a DR!