www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I think it is not widely discussed because it isn't a very interesting topic for most people. Folks like me who have worn earplugs while riding for 30+ years are already way tired of urging others to do the same. Folks who are afraid wearing earplugs will prevent them from hearing something or don't believe wind noise can hurt them don't pay much attention to such discussions. Whenever the subject comes up there are several of us who will chime in but ultimately there's only so much you can say about the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sorry to come off that way but it sounded like we needed to run a banner ad about ear protection and motorcycles, I am an old self reliant curmudgeon and usually speak my mind come hell or high water, its the way my daddy made me, he was the same way.

I like these for my needs, about a buck a pair by the case of 50, they come with a nice case to keep them fairly clean and together:

https://www.amazon.com/Moldex-Rocket-Earplugs-Uncorded-Per/dp/B000KKV824/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1473795075&sr=8-16&keywords=moldex+ear+plugs

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

And to add to jeff,

I don't feel the need to be patronizing to anyone (or be patronized without asking for it).

I see many riders in T-shirts, no gloves, shorts etc every day, however I will never play ATGATT police. Each to his own. About the only thing that makes the hairs in my neck raise is seeing pictures of (typically) BMW GS rider, with a flipped open system helmet, while standing on the pegs on a hardpack gravel road. That's just too much "Long Way Starbucks" for me. :s_laughat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's been mentioned numerous times on every motorcycle forum I visit. It's probably not mentioned more because it's like wearing a helmet. If you want to ride, you should protect yourself.

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:56 pm 

A comprehensive and good link on the topic & solutions for those that find this thread => http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:24 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I swipe the disposable type by the dozen from my work.. always use them if going more that 10-20 miles.
my DR really makes noise, mostly wind and that's the worst.. if behind a big windshield on a Goldwing it may not be needed as much. I didn't need them on my Buell with a MadStad w/s.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Minnesota law, is that you can only wear one ear piece. its nonsense, when i got my ticket he yelled at me for wearing two ear plugs, i told him it was my hearing protection...then he started yelling more at me. then i said not wearing a helmet isn't illegal, he kind of came to his senses, but didnt matter. '16 such a shitty year, sry kinda venting

watching my father, who spent his entire life in gravel crushing, i'm careful about my hearing. I tell him that, when he hears me, he agrees. i wear plugs when mowing my lawn, using anything machine wise that's above a decibel.

maybe when Minnesota freezes over i'll try to push a solution to this ridiculous law of only one ear plugged.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Not trying to be a wise guy to the OP but doesn't the ringing that comes after a ride speak for itself? I thought everyone knew that ringing in your ears is basically trauma to your hearing. My state is among those that says ear plugs are illegal to wear while riding. I of course ignore this. I will gladly deal with any potential legal consequences rather than permanent hearing loss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:44 pm 

Motodrum1 wrote:
Not trying to be a wise guy to the OP but doesn't the ringing that comes after a ride speak for itself? I thought everyone knew that ringing in your ears is basically trauma to your hearing. My state is among those that says ear plugs are illegal to wear while riding. I of course ignore this. I will gladly deal with any potential legal consequences rather than permanent hearing loss.

In my case, I just woke up one day and the ringing was there and I never heard/felt it before that day. It didn't come and go overnight like typical temporary ringing, so I couldn't do anything proactive about it. It was just there and just stayed. Anyways, what's done is done. Now I'll wait for some time before I ride again to see if it will go away then decide if I can mitigate it or if I'll ride again. I was so excited about riding. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:55 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

3shot wrote:
Minnesota law,

maybe when Minnesota freezes over i'll try to push a solution to this ridiculous law of only one ear plugged.

I will assist.. I know people at the Capitol and can find out who is the right legislator to achieve this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next