www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I know I've been in and out of this forum a lot, and you're probably sick of me asking questions. But I have more.

After almost dropping ~2.5k on wheels and modifications for my DR I... bought a new-to-me bike for slightly more than that. Oops :fool:

Anyways, I now have a CNC class currently so I am thinking that for a project, I have the ability to create my own spacers for wheels nearly free, I think...

Are spacers really that simple? Just a very high tolerance disc? Can I really make them that easily, or are they more like bearings? What are the different dimensions for the different wheels that fit? Or do most wheels need to be machined, rather than have spacers?

Sorry again for all the questions, and taking all of your advice you've given me in the past and throwing it in the bin in favor of a new bike. :pardon:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I can't quite understand what you are asking. All wheels use spacers of some sort.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:36 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Depending on the wheelset you are trying to fit to the machine there may be machining required to the sprocket carrier or disc carrier to get everything to line up. The spacers themselves will certainly need to be made to place the wheel in the proper position. Custom wheelsets made for the DR650 will come with all of the spacers required to fit the wheels to the machine. Yes, spacers are just tubes of machined steel/aluminum with particular ID/OD and length. They may have a slight reduction in OD at the end that enters the seal. :good:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:39 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

As the others mentioned, all wheels will requires spacers but if you can get access to a cut good band saw, grinder and a drill press, spacers can be made easily enough. The more complicated feat is going to be compensating for brake disk vs caliper alignment, but even then, with some talent and a good knowledge of how to measure for offsets (meaning fine measurement tools), the world is your oyster if you can fit it between the forks and swingarm rails.