www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:56 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

So to start I am just getting back into motorcycles after a roughly 16 year break. Having never owned dedicated riding boots in the past I decided this time to get properly equipped. Ordered up a set of Gaerne (G-Adventure Boots) in a size 12, I am normally a size 11 in everyday shoes and boots but all the majority of the reviews I read before ordering said to go one fullsize larger mainly due to the "euro sizing" of the Gaerne. So they show up, tried them with a regular athletic sock and the 'shaft' of the boot that wraps around the ankle and lower calf fits snug however the toe box seems like it is on the fringe of being too big to me. For those of you that are more experienced in proper boot fitment any advance you have would be appreciated as to if I should have extra room in the toe box or if I should be looking for a tighter space between the tips of the toes and the front of the bot.

Thank you,
JS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

My test is to add a 1/8" neoprene sole insert, regular loooong boot socks, my knee guards in place (gets a bit inserted at shin), then do some thinking, house cruising. IMO, if the ankle/heel fit is already as you describe, I'm ok. That's the most important fit area. I usually use a "Cupping" sole, so some space gets taken up elsewhere. Bummer the late response. Welcome to the site. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:38 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

As above, I believe you're fine. Wear a quality Moto Cross sock, like from Fox. Those boots will feel really odd at first and you won't be able to shift or feel the brake. It will be weird for a couple rides. Stay with it. Your brain will adjust to the numb feel and eventually all will fall into place.

Or ... you could buy a less stiff, more flexible boot, like some of the dual sport boots discussed in another recent thread here. The Gaerne G are excellent but pretty serious Moto boots. Pretty stiff. For casual trail riding a nice, comfy dual sport boot (with good protection) could work and will be much easier to adapt to than the race boots. :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:47 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

jerstw wrote:
So to start I am just getting back into motorcycles after a roughly 16 year break. Having never owned dedicated riding boots in the past I decided this time to get properly equipped. Ordered up a set of Gaerne (G-Adventure Boots) in a size 12, I am normally a size 11 in everyday shoes and boots but all the majority of the reviews I read before ordering said to go one fullsize larger mainly due to the "euro sizing" of the Gaerne. So they show up, tried them with a regular athletic sock and the 'shaft' of the boot that wraps around the ankle and lower calf fits snug however the toe box seems like it is on the fringe of being too big to me. For those of you that are more experienced in proper boot fitment any advance you have would be appreciated as to if I should have extra room in the toe box or if I should be looking for a tighter space between the tips of the toes and the front of the bot.

Thank you,
JS

i think you are fine too, you want it somewhat snug all around. different manufactures fit differently in the toes, some run tighter than others. like helmets. I thicker sock that wicks moisture away can help take up space too.

the boot will probably change a little bit once it gets broken in and wet a few times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:22 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I appreciate all the input. Last Friday I decided to go to our metro area motorcycle supply store and try every dual sport style boot in my normal boot size, Sidi, Gaerne, etc. After about an hour there and trying different style socks I ended up returning my G-Adventures and purchased a closeout pair of size 11 Gaerne Balance Oiled boots. I have only ridden about 80 miles with them but so far I am very happy with them...the fit is great, like the aluminum vs. plastic latches, suspect they will break-in very quickly and I like the look of them...plus the discontinued pricing was an added bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

+1 on sole inserts if you need to walk anywhere.. I can spend all day on foot in my combat boots with a heel gel insert.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:44 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I looked hard at those boots, but decided they didn't offer enough protection for me. After breaking my ankle on just a slight slide I'm not taking any chances. I do hear that those boots are about the most comfortable as they come and break in easily. Good luck with them, they're a great looking boot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:04 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

G-Steezy - I can certainly appreciate the concern after breaking an ankle and agree the Balance Oiled are by no means the most rigid nor protective in terms of protecting ones ankle. I tried some of the 'legit' MX style boots and if I was doing a lot more dirt riding I would have given them more serious consideration but for now the Balance seemed like the most reasonable option for my needs.

Cheers,
JS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:37 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I know I'm late to the party, but boots shouldn't be snug when you're trying them on in the store. When riding, your feet are going to swell. Boots will be more restrictive and hotter than "shoes," so you want to have a larger boot than you would shoe, and you want it probably a half-size larger than you think while trying them on in the store. One of the best things I ever did for my feet was start wearing slightly larger shoes/boots. I always wanted them a little snug, thinking that meant support. It doesn't. So, now I remove the "stock" insole and buy a proper orthotic with a slightly larger shoe/boot. Much more comfortable throughout the day/ride.

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:49 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Ace! wrote:
I know I'm late to the party, but boots shouldn't be snug when you're trying them on in the store. When riding, your feet are going to swell. Boots will be more restrictive and hotter than "shoes," so you want to have a larger boot than you would shoe, and you want it probably a half-size larger than you think while trying them on in the store. One of the best things I ever did for my feet was start wearing slightly larger shoes/boots. I always wanted them a little snug, thinking that meant support. It doesn't. So, now I remove the "stock" insole and buy a proper orthotic with a slightly larger shoe/boot. Much more comfortable throughout the day/ride.

boots break in tho... or you not talking mx boots? im confused.

even with leather riding boots, they'll stretch a bit. the ones i have are now are like a noodle. Ive always bought (any) boots to size that they might be a little tight/snug at first, knowing they'll break in.

wearing a good sock, your feet will be alot more comfy.