www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Short leg pants?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:56 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I've been scouring the net looking for motorcycle pants lately.
What is popular with DR riders?
I always wear Kevlar jeans or cargo pants when I ride- both road and bush and I've been looking for pants with armour in the knees which my pants don't have. Also jeans aren't waterproof and can get pretty chilly and wet these days. I'm also about 5ft 6 so the issue normally is that armour sits too low down my leg.
I've considered separate knee guards but it's just another bit of kit to stuff around with- I'd rather something integrated.
Short inseam pants are tricky to find- I have been eyeing off the Cortech Sequioa XC pants- has anyone tried these?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cort ... a-xc-pants

Post subject: Re: Short leg pants?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Aerostich will custom make you pants to your dimensions. Give them a call see what they can do for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

At 5'6", 29" inseam I have similar problems with pants.
No off the shelf mixed use pant will ever have the knee pad set in exactly the right position to protect in a fall. Mostly, especially for shorties, the pad is OUT OF POSITION. I've used dirt bike strap on knee pads for 20 years now. I customized mine, adding quality impact foam (boxing head gear). The pad is always there, exactly where it needs to be in a fall. :2_thumbsup:

YES! more to do, but once on, the knee pads stay in place most of the day. For commuting I'd use the built in pads and just take the risk, but you may not land on the pad if you come off the bike. Down side of strap on? After a week of sweating ... they STINK! :s_laughat

Those Cortech pants look more suited to colder, wet weather. Just because it says "breathable" does not mean they will feel cool in hot weather, they won't, they'll boil you alive. A couple side vents won't help all that much. Leather or jeans is cooler. (serious!) Cordura and such fabrics really get HOT, don't shed heat well. They do look fine for cool/cold, wet weather and quite robust as well.

Good quality Mesh gear is more verasatile, it's cooler of course and when cold, add under layers. I have several pairs of riding pants, I use the ones for the weather I've got. On long trips its a tougher choice, but even there I'm carrying two pair. (a pain, but means I've always got the right pants on hand)

Read the above thread about knee pads, armored shorts. All good, especially off road. On road wear your Kevlar jeans (good choice IMO!) just slap some knee pads in there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Tourmaster makes short sizes, at least some of their pants. You might check there. I have a couple pair of their pants and like them a lot.

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Aerostich is good stuff! The separate knee armor is pretty good option IMO. I have Bohn and acerbis. Some guys wear them outside the pants. Check out some dirt riding pants with those, it will be a safety upgrade in all likelihood.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
At 5'6", 29" inseam I have similar problems with pants.
No off the shelf mixed use pant will ever have the knee pad set in exactly the right position to protect in a fall. Mostly, especially for shorties, the pad is OUT OF POSITION. I've used dirt bike strap on knee pads for 20 years now. I customized mine, adding quality impact foam (boxing head gear). The pad is always there, exactly where it needs to be in a fall. :2_thumbsup:

YES! more to do, but once on, the knee pads stay in place most of the day. For commuting I'd use the built in pads and just take the risk, but you may not land on the pad if you come off the bike. Down side of strap on? After a week of sweating ... they STINK! :s_laughat

Those Cortech pants look more suited to colder, wet weather. Just because it says "breathable" does not mean they will feel cool in hot weather, they won't, they'll boil you alive. A couple side vents won't help all that much. Leather or jeans is cooler. (serious!) Cordura and such fabrics really get HOT, don't shed heat well. They do look fine for cool/cold, wet weather and quite robust as well.

Good quality Mesh gear is more verasatile, it's cooler of course and when cold, add under layers. I have several pairs of riding pants, I use the ones for the weather I've got. On long trips its a tougher choice, but even there I'm carrying two pair. (a pain, but means I've always got the right pants on hand)

Read the above thread about knee pads, armored shorts. All good, especially off road. On road wear your Kevlar jeans (good choice IMO!) just slap some knee pads in there.

I'm in Aus and it obviously gets bloody hot here & I was thinking about how the Cortechs would be in summer. Maybe I'm asking too much for pants to work when it's cold but also still wearable when you get hot and sweaty.

Were you meant to post a link?

I've never had pants with removable liners etc only jackets. I currently use an Icon Raiden DKR jacket that I love. I can ride in the cold with the the liner in and when I get hot in the bush it doesn't take much to remove it. But with pants the thermal/ waterproof liners are inside also- if things get hot & stuffy when you are standing up on the trail what do you do? Pull the pants off & take the liner out? I'm under the impression that I'd never end up using the liners because I wouldn't want them in when in the bush ie ride from home to the bush, ride around, then ride home again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 pm 

Rev It jeans have a short inseam option. These are supposed to be fairly waterproof too. I have a 29" inseam and the knee guards are in the right place.

http://www.revitsport.com/en/men/jeans- ... .html#6371

Check out their dealer locator to try them on. Also Revzilla has them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:57 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I believe Tourmaster and Cortech are owned by the same company. As I stated above, I have Tourmaster pants, but believe they are the same or very similar to Cortech. Between the two companies, they make breathable pants, leather pants, mesh pants and with liners. I have the Tourmaster Venture and Tourmaster Venture Air pants. The Venture Air (mesh) pants have a waterproof liner and a "thermal" liner. They all work very well. Since I have the Venture and the Venture Air, I usually just go back and forth with those based on my riding, but the utility of the Venture Air with multiple liners can work well in hot and cool conditions.

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:26 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

motoinmoab wrote:
Rev It jeans have a short inseam option. These are supposed to be fairly waterproof too. I have a 29" inseam and the knee guards are in the right place.

http://www.revitsport.com/en/men/jeans- ... .html#6371

Check out their dealer locator to try them on. Also Revzilla has them.

They look pretty slick- do you own them or you own other Rev'it gear? There are no dealers in Perth that I know of. I have been eyeing off their Sand pants but not sure if they would be a bit overkill. I've never owned textile pants which I guess is why I'm so uncertain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:32 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Ace! wrote:
I believe Tourmaster and Cortech are owned by the same company. As I stated above, I have Tourmaster pants, but believe they are the same or very similar to Cortech. Between the two companies, they make breathable pants, leather pants, mesh pants and with liners. I have the Tourmaster Venture and Tourmaster Venture Air pants. The Venture Air (mesh) pants have a waterproof liner and a "thermal" liner. They all work very well. Since I have the Venture and the Venture Air, I usually just go back and forth with those based on my riding, but the utility of the Venture Air with multiple liners can work well in hot and cool conditions.

Nice. You prolly have the right idea with having the 2 different versions of the pants.
I was also looking at the Cortech Sequoia XC Air pants which is like the normal Seq XC but more mesh based or perforated from what I can tell. And then they have a liner as well. No reviews yet as they are new.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cort ... -air-pants
So with the liners being inside if you are riding somewhere with them in but then it gets hot or you get more lively on the bike can you open up vents and they are okay or do you strip down on the side of the road and take out the liner? Or just put up with it? I was thinking an external liner would be a good way to go- ride with them on then strip them off easily.