www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Short leg pants?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Whenever I want one thing, in this case gear, to do multiple jobs it ends up disappointing me at least some of the time. Two pair of Tourmaster or Cortech pants costs less than one pair of Klim pants (depending) and work across more conditions.

The pants you're looking at are very similar to what I have. I just have the Tourmaster versions (actually I like the look of the Cortech better), the Cortech look like a step up. I too thought I'd use an outer layer and bought a couple. I've never used them, but I can see other people doing that. I don't mind getting wet, although the Tourmaster Venture pants do a good job of keeping me dry. I have ridden with the Venture Air pants and gotten caught in wet weather without the liners (the liners for both pair hang in a closet almost all the time). They are mesh so the water just flows right through.

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:12 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

To end the suspense for everyone I thought I'd share where I landed with pants.
I still couldn't decide and had it in my mind down to a final 3: Klim Dakar ITB, Cortech Sequoia XC & the Seq XC Air version.
Instead ended up finding a pair of brand new Oneal Apocolypse MX pants for $30 Aud on Gumtree, never worn, still had the tags on. http://www.revzilla.com/product/oneal-apocalypse-pants. A quick look online and they happen to have a short inseam (turns out a lot of mx pants do to my surprise).
Normally I don't look at Mx pants coz there never seems to be much to them that impresses me but for $30 I couldn't resist. These are no exception there doesn't seem to be much to these pants either and if I paid the new $130 price for them I was thinking I'd be disappointed. There's no armour or padding to them so I went out and bought some new Fox Race Knee Guards for $55 - first time to own knee armour and these are a bargain with good reviews, that way I have some sort of protection for my legs.
Went for a fang today- pretty cool day but sun was out at least (it's winter here) some highway time, some single track time, and back. And I'm actually pretty impressed. Pants work a treat, really good stretch in them so kicking a leg over the bike and moving about is awesome. I only felt a small chill on the highway in the crotch area due to the stretch material there. Kept me warm, kept me dry. The knee pads also work well, stayed in place and as soon as I started riding I totally forgot they were there. So in the end, I (finally) got some good knee protection and a bargain pair of short leg pants. I have a new appreciation for mx style pants and when these wear out I will probably look at the Klim dakars.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 24.86 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 12.84 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I didn't realize you were wanting a Cold Weather pant. Both your early picks are good cold weather ADV pants. The O'Neal, less so. If you're cold maybe wear padded shorts under for hip, tail bone, thigh protection? Adds protection and some warmth. :good:

The real point here is ... you need one HOT weather pant and another cool/cold weather pant. No one pair will do both well. The heavier ADV type ones will NOT breath and will BOIL you in the heat. The dirt bike ones flow lots of air and you'll freeze in cold/rain.

You're correct about dirt bike pants ... nothing to them. That's why you wear ALL your armor underneath them. Only downside here is if you end up sliding down the tar. They will shred. Been there done that. Torn up Butt buns. :pardon:

On the road I wear my leather pants, when I get to dirt, I switch to dirt pants with armored shorts under and knee guards on BOTH pants.
Biggest problem with that system is I have to pack the bulky leather pants in Hot weather or dirt riding. For rain, I carry simple rain pants that pack to nothing and not only protect against rain but block wind and give you another 10 degree window of comfort in cold riding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

You are right. I am looking for 1 pair of pants to do it all which is why I can't decide ... and it doesn't exist, as you say 2 pairs of pants for different purposes is the way to go. I may look at an adventure style pant down the track for more protection (like the sequoia XC) but I'll stick with the Oneals for now. I'm intending on buying another pair of road jeans first as I sold a few of my old pairs recently.
Thanks for the suggestions , armoured shorts probably would be a good investment.