www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:16 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Is the a method for removing the rear brake caliper without removing the rear wheel?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Not that I know of. The brake disc gets in the way of sliding the caliper off the guide pins.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sure, don't have my bike handy today but I have done it. If I remember correctly the "pins" unscrew or something like that, I have never had to remove my wheel to replace pads.

2 nuts, 2 wheels, 2 beers...
OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:01 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

While step 1 is to remove the current pads - w/ 1,257 miles on them I don't see a need to replace them. I have the time and opportunity right now to dismount the calipers and paint them. I will be using special bake caliper paint - red. I think it will go nicely with the green crash gear.

I pulled the dust cover off the outboard pin and the head looks like a triangle with radius-ed corners. The service manual says nothing about needed a "special" tool to remove the pins, suggests? And, no, I won't use vise grips! :OMG:

Lastly, what's the magic to getting the outboard dust seal back on? :s_dunno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Why unscrew the pins, if you can slide the caliper off once the rear wheel is removed? You want to clean and lube the pins anyway while the caliper is off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:30 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I may just go ahead, remove the rear wheel, dismount the caliper bracket and caliper as a unit, mask out where I don't want to paint (Like the pistons and whatnot).

Ah! You use the hex bosses on the back of the pin to remove it from the bracket! Sometimes it's easy to use the part fiches to figure out what's going than the manual. Suzuki has recycles those photographs far too long. Also, now I understand how to get the dust cover back on.

Before I do anything, though, I need to get silicone brake grease.

I think I have a plan . . . and that is dangerous!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If you going to paint the caliper I would suggest you take it off the bike, disassemble it remove the puck and seal and split it in two) and clean it properly with something like MEK to remove all traces of fluids or lubes. Silicone and paint to not mix well. If there was ever any silicone based lube and/or brake fluid used the paint will fish eye. Once thoroughly cleaned and de-oiled/greased then mask off the areas like the puck opening and spray with the proper paint and then bake the caliper in a old toaster over to "set" the paint.

If its worth doing its worth doing properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:20 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

PerazziMx14 wrote:
If you going to paint the caliper I would suggest you take it off the bike, disassemble it remove the puck and seal and split it in two) and clean it properly with something like MEK to remove all traces of fluids or lubes. Silicone and paint to not mix well. If there was ever any silicone based lube and/or brake fluid used the paint will fish eye. Once thoroughly cleaned and de-oiled/greased then mask off the areas like the puck opening and spray with the proper paint and then bake the caliper in a old toaster over to "set" the paint.

If its worth doing its worth doing properly.

That's pretty much what I'm going to do. The question I started with; can I remove the caliper with out removing the rear wheel, has answered itself after looking at the part fiches and going back to look at the bike. The key being the outboard pin which threads into the bracket. The inboard pin is threaded into the caliper. The outboard pin has a hex nut threaded tight to pin shoulder. Once that pin is removed from the bracket/caliper, the other pin slips from the bracket and is removed from the caliper. From then on it's remove the brake pads, pucks and other parts I don't want to paint clean with MEK or brake cleaner, mask out, and have a go with the rattle can.

I'll wander out here in a minute and grab some pictures to show you how I think this thing comes apart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Okay, I think these pictures will help to explain the "outboard" and "inboard" pins.

Attachment:
24-Rear Brake 1.jpg
24-Rear Brake 1.jpg [ 276.88 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]
This is the rear, or outboard pin. The nut my pencil is pointing to is how you remove it from the bracket.

Attachment:
24-Rear Brake 2.jpg
24-Rear Brake 2.jpg [ 177.37 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]
This is the front, or inboard pin. It's screwed into the the caliper. After removing the banjo and rear pin, I should be able to rotate the caliper up and slide from the bracket. (I apologize for the poor quality of the photo - should have used off camera flash.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You'll spend 5 time more time trying to pull the caliper while the wheel is in place.