www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 2:14 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:15 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey Folks
I know this has been shared on other sites and maybe even here before , but not that I could remember. So forgive me if I try and please post a link if I am mistaken.
Although I do not get to do it as much as I would like, I love camping with the DR and realize that sometimes meals can be somewhat limited traveling with limited space. I would love if some of you could share some of your fave moto camping meals with us here on this site as I am always looking for some good campin grub!

One of my faves is one pound of ground beef cooked over the fire then add one diced onion and one can of brown beans and some salt/pepper and spices to your liking. I call it "Dirty Rod's Red Skillet Chili". Anyone else car to share?
:drinks:
Rod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Fresh trout with the skin on, basil and butter inside and out, wrapped up in tin foil.
Placed on coals at the edge of a hot(not necessarily big) fire. Flip and turn 5 minutes or so a side.

Unwrap and enjoy. Best served with cold lager or ale.

2013 DR650 34,651------->DR790 1,000 miles and counting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:32 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Nothing too exotic for me because I'm a simple man.

Steak seasoned with, well, steak seasoning, cooked over an open fire.

Garlic toast fresh from the grocer's freezer.

(The above require a grate over the campfire making that a criteria for campsite selection)

Beans, onion and bacon as they come from the can.

For extra credit:

Corn on the cob, broken in half to fit the pan.

And/or small whole potatoes from the can.

Dessert:

Toasted marshmallows of course!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Damn, you guys got my mouth watering with the thought campfire trout and steak with "fresh from the grocers freezer" LOL garlic bread. Awe man I think I might spark up the fire pit in the back yard tonight. MMMM I can almost smell that stuff cooking sitting here typing this.
:drinks:
Rod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I tend to justify a fine ribeye whenever possible, "cooked over an open fire" is justification enough!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Tin of chilli pilchards and a 1/2 loaf of bread do me fine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I always pack sausage,cheese and crackers.That simple meal has helped me out while on the road at a nice location or when I camped out or at a cheap hotel somewhere and nothing within walking distance after dark.I always pack some drinking water too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:05 am 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

No motorcycle involved, :blush: but I was thinking of my DR. :s_biggrin

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You guys really like your campfires!

No specific recipes to offer, but so far I`m following the same general methods I`ve always used for backpacking and for bike (pedalled) touring. If I`m going as light as possible, I carry an alcohol stove that really sucks to cook with (just use it for heating water) and a small home made pot that I never use for anything but water because it has an uncleanable seam in the bottom. On those trips, I carry nearly everything from home- buy at local supermarkets, split and repackage in my kitchen. Quick oats, instant rice, instant mashed potatoes, instant refried beans, once in a while an overpriced Mountainhouse entree split into two baggies, precooked meat of some kind, and Thai noodles are some of my usual hot foods for that style. Also nuts, crackers, peanutbutter, fig newtons, dry fruit and other cold stuff.

If going "heavy", I use a butane stove that I can actually cook on, and a small pot that I don`t mind putting food in directly, which makes shopping en route easier. In that case, add lentils, chicken or beef stock, fresh veggies (usually in soups), eggs, canned anything, whatever else I find in a local store or produce stand. The biggest limiting factor is that I still don`t carry a frying pan, so it has to be "potable" (hehe!).

On my moto camping trips, space is still an issue, but weight is no big deal, and water is much easier to find, so my methods will probably evolve towards the heavier side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Unless close to a store... Mountain house meals, beans, or cliff bars. If I'm in Maine w.e I can pull from the water, or a butcher shop. I tend to leave room for whiskey, over large amounts of groceries. :pardon:

2012 DR650~ FMF-Q4,power bomb, DJ kit, modified Carb, modified air box, Twin Air filter, Pro-taper CR high bend bars, Acerbis 5.3 gal fuel tank, Vapor Tach, PWC skid plate, UNI breather filter, Moose racing hand guards, Pat Walsh rear rack, Super moto fender, 12v outlet, 14 tooth CS sprocket, Xring chain, Full cogent suspension, Runnin on Royal P.